RoadBikeReview Member

Why Are Soundbyte Political Ads...

seemingly effective?

If you take some of the local ads "seriously", somebody should be in jail.

If you take some of the local ads "seriously", if elected, a candidate would have powers far beyond what the office entails.

If you take some of the local ads "seriously", all evils on earth will be delivered if the opponent wins.

I have no statistical data to back it up, but I suspect that the creators of these ads (both sides do them) have all the data they need (cuz they's wanna get paid).

Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hundreds of years ago Machiavelli wrote a small book ... The Little Prince. One take home from this timeless classic is that fear/hate motivates voters above all else.

Hence the style and tactics in this era of zero sum politics.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    seemingly effective?

If you take some of the local ads "seriously", somebody should be in jail.

If you take some of the local ads "seriously", if elected, a candidate would have powers far beyond what the office entails.

If you take some of the local ads "seriously", all evils on earth will be delivered if the opponent wins.

I have no statistical data to back it up, but I suspect that the creators of these ads (both sides do them) have all the data they need (cuz they's wanna get paid).

Thoughts?
    Recent thinking on persuasion suggests that two things, intelligence and motivation to process the persuasive message, will result in deeper, more "involved" cognitive processing of that message. Terms vary among theorists, some refer to this as "central route processing," or "slow thinking," but the notion is that under these conditions, people are deliberate and careful in their thought, acting as rational beings, and the message itself matters to them. "Taking it seriously," in your words.

Cognitively, this is hard work. Sooo...

...if either of those two conditions are absent, our brains seem quite willing to swap out heuristic thinking about the message delivery, setting, and other ancillary factors, vs. the actual content of the message (aka "peripheral route processing," or "fast thinking") in lieu of carefully weighing the pros and cons of the message; e.g., considering the physical attractiveness of the speaker, or their rate of speech (faster talkers tend to be more persuasive--"He sounds like he knows what he's talking about"), or the speaker's apparent expertise, or similarity to themselves, etc.

The important thing is to remember just how often people are going to be exposed to political messages they're not well-versed on (i.e., lacking intel on the matter/person), and/or exposed to messages they just don't GAF about.

Political marketers know this, and use it. Soundbite attack ads, with their emphasis on grainy b&w unflattering photos of the opponent, vs. flattering color shots of the advocated (often in likeable poses, surrounded by family) quote-grabs, and such are capitalizing on persons' tendencies to follow the peripheral route.

This is a pretty good run-down, using a political setting as an example:

http://www.psy.ohio-state.edu/petty/...Hinsenkamp.pdf
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Political marketers know this, and use it. Soundbite attack ads, with their emphasis on grainy b&w unflattering photos of the opponent, vs. flattering color shots of the advocated (often in likeable poses, surrounded by family) quote-grabs, and such are capitalizing on persons' tendencies to follow the peripheral route.

This is a pretty good run-down, using a political setting as an example:

http://www.psy.ohio-state.edu/petty/...Hinsenkamp.pdf
    One ad capitalizes on Candidate A's seeming lack of enthusiasm about support our local military base in the face of BRAC (Wright-Patt) by suggesting that Candidate B will always support said base whereas reality says that the Capital of the United States of America would relocate to Juarez Mexico before Wright-Patt would close (it has seen it's ups and downs on jobs and projects but remains a "to big to fail" base).

Another ad suggests (and supported by a cadre of elected county Sheriffs) that "If Candidate A gets their way", criminals will roam our streets, when reality suggests that unless the legislation changes the law, Candidate A is merely an administrator of the law, not its creator.

Its difficult to deal with sharing the planet with people who won't/can't look further. "Starship Trooper" is starting to look better and better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So isn"t question to all this: do free for all elections provide superior governing?
    Last edited by troutmd; 10-11-2018 at 05:05 PM.

What the what???
    Around here, it seems to be all about saying Democrats are in league with Nancy Pelosi.

This is not my signature
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Around here, it seems to be all about saying Democrats are in league with Nancy Pelosi.

This is not my signature
    ...and all republicans are graded on how close or far they are from Trump.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member

This is not my signature
    Elections for people who don't think too much is the roadmap to ruin.

Are we there yet?

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    ...and all republicans are graded on how close or far they are from Trump.
    Actually, no. So far none of the campaign ads Ive seen have even mentioned Trump*. I keep waiting for it.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Actually, no. So far none of the campaign ads Ive seen have even mentioned Trump*. I keep waiting for it.
    Consider yourself lucky! There are TONS of 'em going around here!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nevada Senate race using Trump strongarming Heller to vote pro pre-existing condition on continuous loop.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Nevada Senate race using Trump strongarming Heller to vote pro pre-existing condition on continuous loop.
    I get the pre-existing condition argument in commercials here. Just no mention of Trump*. Maybe theyre saving them for closer to election day. I dont know.

This is not my signature