Your bestest quarantine libation?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    xxl

Your bestest quarantine libation?

Note: I'd have posted this in the Lounge, but some of those yahoos are still posting funny Corgi vids and such--just not taking things seriously!

So, with all these de facto lockdowns everywhere, there's really not much else to do on the home front, except extend happy hours.*

I've been on an absinthe kick, myself (trying to convince my wife that an absinthe fountain would be a much better use of kitchen countertop space than a microwave has been a tough sell), but I've also been branching out into other spirits, with bonus points if they're topically appropriate; think "Death in the Afternoon" (champagne and absinthe--see previous sentence), or a "Last Word" (gin, chartreuse, lime, maraschino liqueur).

In these troubled times, our country calls upon us to...sit on our asses, and I know we can do it:

This can be done with a glass in hand, just saying.

So...what's in your glass?*

*other than a Quarantini

**Q: If one extends happy hour enough, do they now have happy days?
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

a story of love
    Blue meth.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Master debator.
    Beer. I live in Wisconsin, so it's a must. If things ever get so bad that we have food lines again, Wisconsin will be handing out government cheese, bratwurst, and beer for families. Maybe corn if it's in season. I also like Malbec, so yesterday I bought about a dozen bottles to add to the dozen I had. Not really hoarding I guess, if you have any sort of a decent wine rack. We also have some port and sweet wines that the wife likes.

I considered stocking up on beer, but the shelves were full, and I think breweries meet the definition of critical manufacturing so we shouldn't run out.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Home tea & coffee (2C max/day). That other stuff has a tendency to have chairs and such flying across the room at about head height.
    BANNED

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Blue meth.
    Swear to Jeebus, there's a drink in one of my bar guides that's called the Benzocolada.

No benzos are harmed in the making of the drink.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Beer. I live in Wisconsin, so it's a must. If things ever get so bad that we have food lines again, Wisconsin will be handing out government cheese, bratwurst, and beer for families. Maybe corn if it's in season. I also like Malbec, so yesterday I bought about a dozen bottles to add to the dozen I had. Not really hoarding I guess, if you have any sort of a decent wine rack. We also have some port and sweet wines that the wife likes.

I considered stocking up on beer, but the shelves were full, and I think breweries meet the definition of critical manufacturing so we shouldn't run out.

Like that here, too; in fact, there seems to be no panic buying over in the liquor aisles, and shelves are full of beer, wine, spirits, you name it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whitmeyer Bourbon and Rye...

111.8 proof, smooth as silk tho.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I live in Wisconsin, so it's a must.
    Me too! Although it looks like I live on the other side of the state from you.

I've got to wonder if this bizarre turn of events will finally shake-out some of the gazillion craft breweries that seem to be popping out of the woodwork on an almost daily basis. I would've thought the craft brewery industry would've reach a market saturation point years ago, but up until now it has kept going strong.

Anyway, while not a libation, I've been going bonkers on drinking tea... typically green tea, but just about any kind of tea. It's cheap and has oodles of health benefits... w/o contributing to a beer belly.

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Blue meth.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Anyway, while not a libation, I've been going bonkers on drinking tea... typically green tea, but just about any kind of tea. It's cheap and has oodles of health benefits... w/o contributing to a beer belly.
    Matcha tea with Manuka honey for me. Been drinking it for awhile now.

p.s. alcohol reduces the effectiveness of your immune system. A poor choice for these times.
    Beating the S&P 500 is not hard - for me. Apparently it's darn near impossible for you. I beat the S&P consistently. Iíve since moved most of my stuff into targeted retirement funds and more conservative investments that arenít likely to beat the index. 90% of my funds are with a management company now. My plans for most of the money Iíve piled up are bigger than I am, and involve things I know little about and I lack the desire to learn how so I handed it off to a pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a couple of bottles of Westvleteren 12 stored away for a special occasion. May get into the stash as a celebration once the curve is flat. Until then, a hazy IPA will do.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I have been enjoying a 5mg oxy every night at 6. (Still recovering). I have one left.

Darling of The Lounge
    Boone's Farm over Sprite. A drink worthy of my sophisticated taste.

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    Forgot to mention my drink:
    Gin And Tonic. Tonic water contains quinine, which is tangentially related to Chloroquine, which is slightly better than placebo at reducing Coronavirus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Forgot to mention my drink: Gin And Tonic. Tonic water contains quinine, which is tangentially related to Chloroquine, which is slightly better than placebo at reducing Coronavirus.
    your liver will fail before you consume enough G and T to get a medicinal effect from the quinine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelina.../#276e3e3468cb
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    had one of the, sadly, last drams of a bottle like this.
    Blows your hair back.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Boone's Farm over Sprite. A drink worthy of my sophisticated taste.

Boone's Farm marks you as an urbane drinker.

The Sprite mention gets you bonus points for authenticity.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    had one of the, sadly, last drams of a bottle like this.

I'm not really very experienced with higher-end Scotch whisky, though I am willing to learn. Is it correct that to order Scotch, one simply clears one's throat aggressively, and sees what the bartender brings you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I'm not really very experienced with higher-end Scotch whisky, though I am willing to learn. Is it correct that to order Scotch, one simply clears one's throat aggressively, and sees what the bartender brings you?
    and be sure that whatever it sounded like has nothing to do with what is written on the bottle.
    This particular one manages to be very smoky but at the same time be balanced in the taste. puts whole new perspective on "mouth watering".
    Blows your hair back.

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    your liver will fail before you consume enough G and T to get a medicinal effect from the quinine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelina.../#276e3e3468cb
    effectiveness just went from "slightly better than placebo" to "placebo"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just made mine this minute...

- kale
    - spinach
    - broccoli sprouts
    - frozen blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
    - collagen, flax seed, hemp hearts
    - protein powder
    - water

Throw it all in a Vitamix & blend the sh!t out of it. If the taste isn't to your liking, add some peanut butter. It's a great lunch.
    Beating the S&P 500 is not hard - for me. Apparently it's darn near impossible for you. I beat the S&P consistently. Iíve since moved most of my stuff into targeted retirement funds and more conservative investments that arenít likely to beat the index. 90% of my funds are with a management company now. My plans for most of the money Iíve piled up are bigger than I am, and involve things I know little about and I lack the desire to learn how so I handed it off to a pro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    I just made mine this minute...

- kale
    - spinach
    - broccoli sprouts
    - frozen blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
    - collagen, flax seed, hemp hearts
    - protein powder
    - water

Throw it all in a Vitamix & blend the sh!t out of it. If the taste isn't to your liking, add some peanut butter. It's a great lunch.
    almost there, just one ingredient short https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2z3pMILm8
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I have a big collection but here is the main rotation

Bourbon- Weller, Widow Jane, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Single Barrel
    Rye- Whistle Pig, 291

Also some Armagnac and Spanish brandy

Don't drink Scotch but I keep a bottle of Laphroaig in case my communist friends visit
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Don't drink Scotch but I keep a bottle of Laphroaig in case my communist friends visit
    not all commies chew peat
    Blows your hair back.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Delamain Pale and Dry Cognac. Sipped from a featherweight engraved snifter I inherited from an uncle who got it in Japan when he was in the occupying force during the 1950's.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast