2 more Random Pro Grand tour questions.
    RoadBikeReview Member

2 more Random Pro Grand tour questions.

Do the guys ride any sort of cool down at all after a stage? I know they have all sorts of recovery tactics (food, hydration, massage).

And for those who drop out, are they sent home, or do they (can they) stay and watch or help out/still be part of the team?

Twitterpated
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeeer
    Do the guys ride any sort of cool down at all after a stage? I know they have all sorts of recovery tactics (food, hydration, massage).

And for those who drop out, are they sent home, or do they (can they) stay and watch or help out/still be part of the team?
    Question 2: I think the rider goes home. At least the top riders do. Often I've seen an interview a day or two after the crash with the rider lounging on his couch back in his beautiful home. And at least at this level, cyclists have just one job and that's to ride the bike. They don't fulfill any other function on the team. So, a rider staying after abandoning the race is basically just costing the team money for food, lodging, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Often the hotel is not adjacent to the finish (this is especially the case with mountain-top finishes, obviously) and so while some riders will coast over to the team bus or a team car, clamber in, decompress, and take the bus to the hotel, others (many) will don a dry jersey and just ride to the hotel (down the mountain, etc.) as a 'cool down'. Given the parade of vehicles that clog the finish areas it's often quicker to ride to the hotel anyway, too.

banned

the winner goes straight for the sample cup

the winner goes straight for the sample cup.

despite extreme dehydration, he has to shake out a sample. leg cramps often ensue, I hear, from the hopping. I have no idea if they make the rider give the A and B, or if they divvy it up themselves.

quite a fine how-do-ya-do for winning.

then, according to at least one of these pros, the rider goes and has a shot of whiskey to celebrate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    I believe the rider is sent home very quickly so they can prepare for the next race and/or simply not be a distraction. The team needs to move forward with their strategy and thinking and so having a reminder from the past linger around doesn't help accomplish that goal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I heard the winner gets to have dinner with the podium girls at the nearest Taco Bell.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yes they do a cool down.