2019-2020 Pro Cycling Transfers and Rumors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

2019-2020 Pro Cycling Transfers and Rumors

Apparently, Dumoulin wants out of Sunweb, Degenkolb is headed to Lotto and Benoot to Sunweb.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...reports-428946
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Cofidis and Total Direct Energie to become World Tour teams. Van der Poel being pursued aggressively by Katusha.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...reports-428939

RoadBikeReview Member
    Alaphillippe and Stybar have resigned at Quickstep. For other DQS riders, rumors are that Mas, Gilbert and Viviani may all be leaving. Mas is rumored to be going to Movistar. Gilbert is rumored to be possibly going to Lotto Soudal, however, it seems he may be willing to talk with any team that will give him leadership of the Milan-San Remo race and then be willing to work for others at any other race he goes to. He wants a shot at winning there and may not be able to get that DQS as MSR is the only monument missing from his Palmares (and there may be a long list of teams willing to give him that).

Valverde has resigned with Movistar. Racing for at least 2 more years (he's left the door slightly open to racing after that). His new contract is through 2024 and if he does retire after 2021 the most likely position he will have after that is of coach/mentor as that something he enjoys doing. Continuing with Movistar, with Valverde's contract the team now has a grand total of 3 riders signed past this season. They have stated they are not negotiating with Landa (who is linked to Bahrain-Marida). Comments by Mr Unzue leads you to believe it is very unlikely they are negotiating with Quintana. Erviti will most likely either resign or retire. He has talked about retiring the last several years and keeps coming back mostly for Valverde. Others on the team likely resigning would be Amador, Castrillo, Prades, Rojas, and possibly Fernandez (especially if he can prove he's over his injuries and regaining his form). They have said they would like to keep Carapaz (although it is rumored Sky/Ineos have offered him a large contract). Although I haven't seen anything official it appears to they have signed a rider from Lizarte for next year and may be giving him a training contract for the end of this season. However, as I said, I haven't seen anything official.

Nibali is linked to Trek.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Gilbert and Degenkolb to Lotto Soudal reportedly. Campenaerts headed out.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...genkolb-429078

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Carapaz to Ineos reportedly. This not good for pro cycling in my opinion. Not only does the sport have all of the issues discussed in the other thread, but most fans arenít interested in watching races where all of the interesting riders are on one team. They need a salary cap or something.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...reports-431061

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Carapaz to Ineos reportedly. This not good for pro cycling in my opinion. Not only does the sport have all of the issues discussed in the other thread, but most fans arenít interested in watching races where all of the interesting riders are on one team. They need a salary cap or something.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...reports-431061
    Add to the list of riders Ineos is apparently trying to buy Benoot and Dumoulin.

I think the need an out and out budget cap not a salary cap. A budget cap would include any sponsor paying the salary of a rider instead of the team. It would include ALL revenue the team is using for any reason at all even if they never actually have it go through their hands. I think there also needs to be extremely stiff penalities if they go over that cap. Depending on how much would start with fines and go up to be expelled from big races. Say you go 50,000 over it's a fine, but if you go 2 million over you excluded from the monuments. Go 5 million over and you excluded from one of the Grand Tours. Go 10 million over and you get excluded from the 5 monuments AND all 3 Grand Tours. Go more than 10 million over and your license get pulled. Also I'd go with a budget cap of between 20 and 25 million as with Katusha going away only Ineos is affected by it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Add to the list of riders Ineos is apparently trying to buy Benoot and Dumoulin.

I think the need an out and out budget cap not a salary cap. A budget cap would include any sponsor paying the salary of a rider instead of the team. It would include ALL revenue the team is using for any reason at all even if they never actually have it go through their hands. I think there also needs to be extremely stiff penalities if they go over that cap. Depending on how much would start with fines and go up to be expelled from big races. Say you go 50,000 over it's a fine, but if you go 2 million over you excluded from the monuments. Go 5 million over and you excluded from one of the Grand Tours. Go 10 million over and you get excluded from the 5 monuments AND all 3 Grand Tours. Go more than 10 million over and your license get pulled. Also I'd go with a budget cap of between 20 and 25 million as with Katusha going away only Ineos is affected by it.
    I donít care how they do it, but they need to do something. I am already starting to lose interest in pro road cycling for all of the reasons we discussed. This stuff is about enough to push me over the edge. I never expected to say that. While mildly entertaining, I havenít even been able to bring myself to watch much of the TdF this year, mostly watching highlights. The same guys and teams winning all of the time and much of the dialogue being centered around Ineos is just getting old as are the doping scandals and folding races and teams. I definitely enjoyed Strade Bianche, the Giro, Roubaix and Flanders this year, but thatís about it when I really think about it. I might just focus on watching those from now and devote my other sports related time to watching XCO MTB, F1 (even though Mercedes winning all of the time is just as boring), and mostly my own riding and skateboarding. Just tired of the same old same old. Feels like a waste of time on some level. So does RBR at this point to be honest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I donít care how they do it, but they need to do something. I am already starting to lose interest in pro road cycling for all of the reasons we discussed. This stuff is about enough to push me over the edge. I never expected to say that. While mildly entertaining, I havenít even been able to bring myself to watch much of the TdF this year, mostly watching highlights. The same guys and teams winning all of the time and much of the dialogue being centered around Ineos is just getting old as are the doping scandals and folding races and teams. I definitely enjoyed Strade Bianche, the Giro, Roubaix and Flanders this year, but thatís about it when I really think about it. I might just focus on watching those from now and devote my other sports related time to watching XCO MTB, F1 (even though Mercedes winning all of the time is just as boring), and mostly my own riding and skateboarding. Just tired of the same old same old. Feels like a waste of time on some level. So does RBR at this point to be honest.
    I don't think the results up to this point really back this up. So far we have had

Stage 1 Ė TTT - Team Jumbo-Visma
    Stage 2 Ė Teunissen - Team Jumbo-Visma
    Stage 3 Ė Alaphilippe - DQS
    Stage 4 Ė Viviani - DQS
    Stage 5 Ė Sagan - Bora-Hansgrohe
    Stage 6 Ė Teuns - Bahrain-Merida
    Stage 7 Ė Groenewegen Ė Team Jumbo-Visma
    Stage 8 - De Gendt Ė Lotto Soudal
    Stage 9 - Impey - Mitchelton-Scott

so that is a fair mixture of teams and riders and Jumbo-Visma can hardly be called a big budget team.

As for transfers and Ineos, it is that time of the year where agents are all talking up their riders and in many cases they use Ineos as the threat to renegotiate more money from existing teams for their clients. It is the same even year, although IIRC, Ineos approached Caparaz well before the Giro and I guess his marketability will have increased a fair amount since then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    I don't think the results up to this point really back this up. So far we have had

Stage 1 Ė TTT - Team Jumbo-Visma
    Stage 2 Ė Teunissen - Team Jumbo-Visma
    Stage 3 Ė Alaphilippe - DQS
    Stage 4 Ė Viviani - DQS
    Stage 5 Ė Sagan - Bora-Hansgrohe
    Stage 6 Ė Teuns - Bahrain-Merida
    Stage 7 Ė Groenewegen Ė Team Jumbo-Visma
    Stage 8 - De Gendt Ė Lotto Soudal
    Stage 9 - Impey - Mitchelton-Scott

so that is a fair mixture of teams and riders and Jumbo-Visma can hardly be called a big budget team.

As for transfers and Ineos, it is that time of the year where agents are all talking up their riders and in many cases they use Ineos as the threat to renegotiate more money from existing teams for their clients. It is the same even year, although IIRC, Ineos approached Caparaz well before the Giro and I guess his marketability will have increased a fair amount since then.
    Thatís all because itís basically a little past the first week of the TdF and Ineos doesnít even want the yellow jersey at this point. Having it would only mean that they would have to burn resources defending it. They are happy to let some other team bear that burden. They also donít care diddly about the green jersey. Thatís what you are seeing.

If you want facts, ask yourself how many TdFs and TdF build up races, Sky/Ineos have won since Cadel and BMC won in 2011? What percentage is that? And do you truly believe that Alaphilippe and a team built for one day classic races is going to hold off a team that has the luxury of having the likes of Kwiatkowski, Bernal, Poels, and Moscon acting as domestiques once the race hits the high mountains? In fact, what team can really hold them off when they are healthy and focused in a grand tour (think of Froomeís Giro victory)? Now imagine adding Carapaz and Benoot to that. Thatís the point we are making.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...cut-335893/amp
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-15-2019 at 03:05 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I am well aware of how far thru the TdF we are and merely pointed out that so far there has been a good mix of teams and riders winning stages. In previous years, it has been less varied. The only boring part so far is the Green jersey competition - same old, same old.

I havenít mentioned Alaphilippe as a GC contender and will in advance accept your apology for ascribing that assertion to me

You are welcome to F1. Now that is stultifyingly boring

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am well aware of how far thru the TdF we are and merely pointed out that so far there has been a good mix of teams and riders winning stages. In previous years, it has been less varied. The only boring part so far is the Green jersey competition - same old, same old.

I havenít mentioned Alaphilippe as a GC contender and will in advance accept your apology for ascribing that assertion to me

You are welcome to F1. Now that is stultifyingly boring
    Youíre funny, not intentionally, but funny nonetheless. Of course other teams are going to win stages when Ineos doesnít want to/letís them. Whatís the point of the discussion if we arenít discussing the ultimate goal? I think there would probably be even less room between them and the leaders if Froome was in the race to be honest. This is them with their backup quarterback, who won the whole thing last year by the way. Itís ludicrous. My apology is in the mail by the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Youíre funny, not intentionally, but funny nonetheless. Of course other teams are going to win stages when Ineos doesnít want to/letís them. Whatís the point of the discussion if we arenít discussing the ultimate goal? I think there would probably be even less room between them and the leaders if Froome was in the race to be honest. This is them with their backup quarterback, who won the whole thing last year by the way. Itís ludicrous. My apology is in the mail by the way.
    Sorry, now my turn to apologize ; I thought that you were making a much more intellectually sound point than what turned out to be the reality. I donít have access to Ineosís new ďletís not win stagesĒ strategy but nevertheless I am enjoying this TdF, so far and for once, the first week+ of the TdF has been better than the corresponding period of this yearís Giro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sorry, now my turn to apologize ; I thought that you were making a much more intellectually sound point than what turned out to be the reality. I donít have access to Ineosís new ďletís not win stagesĒ strategy but nevertheless I am enjoying this TdF, so far and for once, the first week+ of the TdF has been better than the corresponding period of this yearís Giro
    Ummmm.... the first sign to you that your comments are off base should have been that this isnít the race/stage thread but the transfer rumors thread.... Seeing how you missed all of that and my attempts to redirect you in all your eagerness to prove to us all how much you know, I am just going to say read slower or you win. You choose which answer you prefer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I addressed the rumours aspect earlier; it always happens at this time of the year and I addressed the ďsame guys and teams winningĒ assertion with evidence that this yearís TdF has been very varied so far and Ineos have hardly been dominant e.g. Movistar won the Giro and Astana won the Dauphine. Other than using current results to provide some data, I have not discussed stages, indeed such speculation was introduced by you

RoadBikeReview Member

Funny enough it's been a couple of years since we've watched F1 for that same reason. I've never been much of a TdF fan to begin with. I prefer other races. Flanders and Paris-Roubiax and now Strade Bianche are still worth watching. For me when Valverde retires, I won't pay as much attention to pro road racing until/unless one of my friends (on social media in Spain) happen to get pro contracts and then I'll watch more specifically to cheer them on. They want to be pros, so I hope they eventually get pro contracts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Dumoulin to Jumbo Visma and Carapaz and Quintana confirmed to leave Movistar.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...sources-432325

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/unzu...ving-movistar/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yesterday Movistar announced the re-signing of 7 of their domestiques including Amador and Oliveria. There are now rumors that Landa is likely to stay. Rumors that he changed his mind and wanted to stay started back during the Giro, but it seems that is now likely.

off the back
    Yesterday Movistar announced the re-signing of 7 of their domestiques including Amador and Oliveria. There are now rumors that Landa is likely to stay. Rumors that he changed his mind and wanted to stay started back during the Giro, but it seems that is now likely.
    probably when they let him know they were gonna let Quintana leave.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    probably when they let him know they were gonna let Quintana leave.
    It appears it was expected Movistar wasn't going to resign Quintana. Interestingly it sounds like Movistar hasn't actually made an official renewal offer to Landa yet.

The only rider they gave any real info about who isn't re-signed yet is Erviti. They said they have given him a contract offer, but that he currently hasn't decided if he's going to retire or race yet.

It will be interesting to see what this team looks like next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Cycling's official transfer window opens August 1 | Cyclingnews.com

Viviani to Cofidis is one I didn't see coming. Still quite a few chips to fall, but as of right now, Jumbo Visma still looks like the second strongest team for GC races. I should know better than to doubt them, but I kind of feel like Quickstep might finally have let too many good racers go. CCC needs Trentin desperately.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-31-2019 at 04:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In a few hours the already signed contracts should start being announced as to who is going where.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    American Brandon McNulty steps up the WT with UAE Emirates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Today we get confirmation of Landa to Bahrain-Merida.

Today also the surprise announcement Movistar signing a young British rider Gabriel Cullaigh. He seems very excited to have signed with Movistar. I don't know much about him, but he's been with Wiggin's team. Apparently he's a sprinter and norther classics rider. So he should get a lot of freedom in the northern classics and he'll always be able to go for sprint stages in races he goes to, just likely won't have much if any leadout.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Today we get confirmation of Landa to Bahrain-Merida.

Today also the surprise announcement Movistar signing a young British rider Gabriel Cullaigh. He seems very excited to have signed with Movistar. I don't know much about him, but he's been with Wiggin's team. Apparently he's a sprinter and norther classics rider. So he should get a lot of freedom in the northern classics and he'll always be able to go for sprint stages in races he goes to, just likely won't have much if any leadout.
    It sounds like Landa is excited too. The guy finally gets clear GC leader status and support. At least it looks like it will be that way now. I expect Bahrain McLaren, as they will be known, to add more talent before next season though.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...der-433703/amp
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-05-2019 at 11:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Bjorn Lambrecht

Lambrecht has died from injuries sustained in a recent race. The kid was only 22 years old. So sorry to see this. I really liked him and thought he had a bright future.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bjor...ies-at-age-22/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast