2019 Amgen Tour of California
    Neophyte

2019 Amgen Tour of California

Route announced:
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...route-overview

"Throughout seven stages over seven days (May 12-18, 2019), the world’s elite professional cyclists will contest mountain roads, highways and coastlines from Sacramento to Pasadena. The 777.6-mile course through 13 Host Cities will ante up 14 Sprints, more than 68,000 feet of elevation gain and 25 King of the Mountain (KOM) climbs, the most in race history, and a fan-favorite Mt. Baldy summit finish. More than half of the seven stages feature 120+-mile courses."
    Last edited by jetdog9; 01-31-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Neophyte
    Velonews article following route announcement:

https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/ana...ifornia_483194

Neophyte
    Interesting Stage One finish even if the winner wasn't a surprise...

Neophyte
    4 stages in the books... Lots of Team USA in breakaways for obvious reasons, lots of Deceuninck - Quick-Step wins

So Teejay retains the yellow jersey despite coming in a minute back after crashes... this sort of thing has happened before (Chris Froome running up Ventoux as an example) but the jury basically said he would have caught up with the main bunch if not for the crash just outside of 4km that slowed his team down.

OK, but it was outside of 3k for sure... and if he hadn't crashed around 10k and also ridden off the road because his teammate's brakes were set up differently than they also never would have been in that situation to begin with. So I find it hard to swallow that the situation was due to no fault on the rider.

I actually hope he wins... but banking on Teejay hasn't proven to be a good choice in last few years.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I didn't know that Rachel Maddow has such high athleticism!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    4 stages in the books... Lots of Team USA in breakaways for obvious reasons, lots of Deceuninck - Quick-Step wins

So Teejay retains the yellow jersey despite coming in a minute back after crashes... this sort of thing has happened before (Chris Froome running up Ventoux as an example) but the jury basically said he would have caught up with the main bunch if not for the crash just outside of 4km that slowed his team down.

OK, but it was outside of 3k for sure... and if he hadn't crashed around 10k and also ridden off the road because his teammate's brakes were set up differently than they also never would have been in that situation to begin with. So I find it hard to swallow that the situation was due to no fault on the rider.

I actually hope it wins... but banking on Teejay hasn't proven to be a good choice in last few years.
    and then there was Mount Baldy ;)

Honestly the sport would be best off if Teejay and his pouty countenance just retired NOW
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Neophyte
    The Baldy finish was fun, that bad line on the last corner essentially costing 8 seconds or whatnot on bonus points...

For all they said about this year's course being the most challenging ever and that the race would be shaken up, and no time trial... actually something felt lacking. It was awesome to see the race live as I live in California and I always enjoy this event but compared to some other years it just wasn't quite the same.

Pouty countenance... love it.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I liked Cavagna’s descent from Mt. Hamilton - like watching a car wreck. You don’t want to look, but you just gotta. Apart from that Mr. Cavagna had a brilliant race.

BTW - exactly how many guys on Quickstep can win on a given day? ‘Leventy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I liked Cavagna’s descent from Mt. Hamilton - like watching a car wreck. You don’t want to look, but you just gotta. Apart from that Mr. Cavagna had a brilliant race.

BTW - exactly how many guys on Quickstep can win on a given day? ‘Leventy?
    They lose stars like every single year and find young guys to replace them every single year. It’s amazing when you think about it.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Baldy finish was fun, that bad line on the last corner essentially costing 8 seconds or whatnot on bonus points...

For all they said about this year's course being the most challenging ever and that the race would be shaken up, and no time trial... actually something felt lacking. It was awesome to see the race live as I live in California and I always enjoy this event but compared to some other years it just wasn't quite the same.

Pouty countenance... love it.
    they Baldy finish this year was the best stage finish of the Amgen history, IMO

Neophyte
    That was a good finish, and Baldy does deliver. I'm a Sagan fan so personally my favorite is 2015 when he went deep and only lost 45 seconds to set up a chance at the overall. The video of him laying on the ground coughing up a lung...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sagan and Alaphilipe made it into an epic battle. It was exciting.

But this year's Baldy finish was freakin fast as the top GC contenders duked it out, especially Higuita from Columbia. Shame that Higuita went wide at the final corner, probably because he was following the camer motorcycle, only to have the moto suddenly stopped in that corner which then threw Higuita off his line.
    And oddly enough, after Pogacar and Higuita passed the moto, the moto started rolling again, right before the finishline! Very inexperience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    That was a good finish, and Baldy does deliver. I'm a Sagan fan so personally my favorite is 2015 when he went deep and only lost 45 seconds to set up a chance at the overall. The video of him laying on the ground coughing up a lung...
    Yes! That was the type of riding that helped make SAGAN a legend. Amazing effort and the agony of that effort captured on video, puking and all is the definition of giving 110%!