2020 World Champion Predictions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

2020 World Champion Predictions?

I'm going with Marc Hirschi. Who's your pick?
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Alaphilippe is my guy in general right now so I guess I will go with him.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Howdy!

Weíve got some nice GT riders who can figure in the mix. Carapaz is the dark horse for me, but the parcours has Valverde written all over it.
    Ballan, we have a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It would be cool for Nibali to add a WC to his palmares.
    I will be up early to watch!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great race and very well deserved win!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Great race and very well deserved win!
    Woohoo! My guy! Excited for him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Nice pick. I was happy for him, and happy that my guy was on the podium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Nice pick. I was happy for him, and happy that my guy was on the podium.
    Thanks! Hirschi definitely confirmed that what he did in the TdF wasn't a fluke. I like him quite a bit as well. The guys I enjoy watching the most right now are all relatively young: Alaphilippe, Van Aert, Hirschi, Van der Poel, Evenpoel, Higuita, and Pogacar, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Happy for Van Aert and Hirchi. Don't like the winner, don't want to see him in the jersey and have no intention on watching any race he's in next year. Just hoping Alejandro doesn't race anywhere Alaphilippe is racing next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Happy for Van Aert and Hirchi. Don't like the winner, don't want to see him in the jersey and have no intention on watching any race he's in next year. Just hoping Alejandro doesn't race anywhere Alaphilippe is racing next year.
    Thatís an interesting reaction. Why do you have such hatred for Alaphilippe (someone I assume you havenít met)? Moreover, heís not really controversial as far as pro athletes or pro cyclists go so I am truly curious what your issue with him is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find him to be arrogant and a showboat. I had no use for Voeckler and I find Alaphilippe to the be a more talented version. I can't stand that type of personality. I tried to like him, but I just can't. As for the arrogant part, it's the way he comes across to me and that includes some of the showboating or the waving of hands when the smallest thing doesn't go his way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I find him to be arrogant and a showboat. I had no use for Voeckler and I find Alaphilippe to the be a more talented version. I can't stand that type of personality. I tried to like him, but I just can't. As for the arrogant part, it's the way he comes across to me and that includes some of the showboating or the waving of hands when the smallest thing doesn't go his way.
    Uh ok. I havenít seen any of that, beyond what every pro cyclist seems to do, but to each his/her own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Uh ok. I havenít seen any of that, beyond what every pro cyclist seems to do, but to each his/her own.
    Waving hands when any little thing goes wrong like during the sprint at the Tour. Attacking and then blowing up within 2 minutes or less of the attack. Doing things for the camera (like Voeckler). Just don't like what I see from him. With the rainbow jersey he'll be insufferable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It might be helpful for you to read this to kind of reality check your perceptions against. I think you might be the only person I have heard of that perceives him that way. Maybe thereís something else going on that you canít or wonít let yourself see about your own biases because I canít find anyone anywhere that refers to this guy as arrogant. Just a thought.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190716...-yellow-jersey

https://apnews.com/article/fce67cf7bde86dc59ae59f68b8ed7817

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    It might be helpful for you to read this to kind of reality check your perceptions against. I think you might be the only person I have heard of that perceives him that way. Maybe thereís something else going on that you canít or wonít let yourself see about your own biases because I canít find anyone anywhere that refers to this guy as arrogant. Just a thought.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190716...-yellow-jersey

https://apnews.com/article/fce67cf7b...e59f68b8ed7817
    That's how he comes across to me on TV.

As I said the showboating like Voeckler I can't stand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great race. A well-timed attack and win for Alaphilippe, dude's got panache.
    And WVA? He'll win it soon enough methinks.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I find him to be arrogant and a showboat.
    No more of a showboat than Sagan, with his victory wheelies. But I like both of them - they bring some personality to the sport - just apparently the type of personality some people don't like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    JA is terrific for the sport, really happy he won. Now we just have to get WVA's hair on a podium some more!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I agree 100% on WVA. I think he and MVDP are both great additions to world tour. They should help keep the classics and world championships exciting for years to come.

Neophyte
    I can understand KoroninK's point of view although I don't share it... Alaphilippe does have some flash, and some people just rub others the wrong way.

But I don't think he's a negative character in the peloton... seems to me he respects the profession quite thoroughly. Of course when you are one of the best, you know it and it shows. But he's often humble as well. And how many athletes are out there that are a little emotional, a million?

Anyway, congratulations to him. It's always impressive when everybody knows what is going to happen and still can't prevent it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    IMO, J A was the best rider on the day and deserved the win. He really animated the 2019 TdF and was in the Yellow during the first part of this yearís TdF. He is a great contributor to the sport. A worthy World Champion, who hasnít been knocked out of a mould and adds a refreshing bit of unpredictablity to races

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just don't like that type of personality. (I'm also not exactly a fan of Sagan either).

To Jetdog 9's comment, I think he's better liked in the peloton than Voekler was. My understanding is Voekler was not liked much in the peloton. So there's that. However, I disagree about when you're one of the best it shows. That goes back to personality. There are some athletes that is very true of, there are other's that it's not nearly as obvious.

I'll agree with the others about WVA.

For example the younger riders I like:
    Roglic, Enric Mas, and Higuita. I need to see more of Hischi and Cortina. Then there's one of the young first year riders (at Movistar) I know a little through social media, and yes actual conversations, whom I'll be cheering for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    oh look, pro athletes showing a little arrogance, showboating, and *****ing and whinning... who would have thought! Oh wait, this seems to be common in all of them? Ever watch NBA, NFL, soccer, tennis? 99% of the successful ones have some of these..

but you're ok with Soler's child-like petuclance, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    WVA played it too safe. It should behoove him that he take over the chasing effort. Instead, he sort of sat in the chasing group while giving some short pulls. JA lead went from 9"-10" to well over 20" in a few kilometers. Even if WVA did the majority of the pulling of the chasing group, he would still have the speed to beat all of them to the line. WVA will need to learn to pull like Cancellara, because racers will expect this from him if they see him in their group; they'd be a fool to work with WVA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    oh look, pro athletes showing a little arrogance, showboating, and *****ing and whinning... who would have thought! Oh wait, this seems to be common in all of them? Ever watch NBA, NFL, soccer, tennis? 99% of the successful ones have some of these..

but you're ok with Soler's child-like petuclance, right?
    Team had a talk with Soler about what he did at last year's Vuelta. We'll see if he learned or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast