Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody but...

RoadBikeReview Member

Anybody but...

Froome.
    "Why I oughta..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why do I have a feeling that unless he crashes, he'll win.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Road Warrior
    Froome

(Pulling for Quintana, Valverde-Landa) Go MovieStar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'm rooting for Ritchie Porte.

I know BMC probably doesn't have a strong enough team to pull it off, but, considering this is the last season for the team... at least in its current form, it would be good to see them go out of top..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazz44 View Post
    Froome.
    If the rest of the peloton decided to ally together with the sole purpose of denying Sky do you reckon they could? What tactics could they employ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I don't see Froome even remotely not winning, barring crash, illness etc.
    It makes me not want to watch it.

T K
    wasssabi
    Anyone but Cav winning sprints or anyone from Sky or Astana winning anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm on the anyone but Froome as well. Even before what happened today, I thought Nibali had the best shot, and still do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I don't see Froome even remotely not winning, barring crash, illness etc.
    It makes me not want to watch it.

Well, I guess we will see how today's crash plays out.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by YCornelius View Post
    If the rest of the peloton decided to ally together with the sole purpose of denying Sky do you reckon they could? What tactics could they employ?

All the GC tried that once...didn't work.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

I know BMC probably doesn't have a strong enough team to pull it off, but, considering this is the last season for the team... at least in its current form, it would be good to see them go out of top..
    DOH!

Well, at least you were right about BMC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819 View Post
    DOH!

Well, at least you were right about BMC.
    Pretty sure I jinxed him. Same thing happened with TvG. As soon as I started rooting for me, he kinda fell apart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    According to something Landa said this past winter most of Sky's riders have to ride tempo and can't ride at change of pace racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

I was in a CCC store last year, figured I'd pick up a new pair of shoes. This was a major store in a major shopping center in a major Polish city. As I shopped I noticed they had full sizes only. I chalked it up to one style only, but soon realized the whole store men and women sold only full sizes! I figured

Jim Ochowicz was just on the other day announcing sponsorship by CCC and I googled them to learn that they are indeed a Polish based company. WTF? No half sizes in your own home market despite a presence in every large metro in the country?

Very strange.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    According to something Landa said this past winter most of Sky's riders have to ride tempo and can't ride at change of pace racing.
    yeah, and anyone can see this. Froome (and before him Wiggins) doesn't like tempo change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    All the GC tried that once...didn't work.
    I think this could work if all GC teams are in it fully.
    That means:
    1. no GC team will ever pull, make Sky pull, regardless who is in yellow
    2. GC teams will need to attack, they might even have to send their own GC rider (and not just some no name rider) to do the attacking to invoke a response from Sky. Froome doesn't like tempo change much, so this will mess him up, and over the course of the Tour, it'll have an effect on him

The problem is that the GC teams only give a halfassed attempt, so it's not gonna work. And it's unlikely that all GC teams will give it an all out attempt like I said above because that will probably

1. look bad for the sport (maybe even worse than doping)
    2. alienate a lot of fans, especially the English or English-speaking fans
    3. probably no GC rider will want to be "the bait" to incite Sky, their sponsors won't like it if they act foolish (even though if it's to bring down Sky).

so, not gonna happen, and Sky will win again

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    yeah, and anyone can see this. Froome (and before him Wiggins) doesn't like tempo change.
    Actually, Froome saves a lot of energy when his team rides tempo.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I think this could work if all GC teams are in it fully.
    That means:
    1. no GC team will ever pull, make Sky pull, regardless who is in yellow
    2. GC teams will need to attack, they might even have to send their own GC rider (and not just some no name rider) to do the attacking to invoke a response from Sky. Froome doesn't like tempo change much, so this will mess him up, and over the course of the Tour, it'll have an effect on him

The problem is that the GC teams only give a halfassed attempt, so it's not gonna work. And it's unlikely that all GC teams will give it an all out attempt like I said above because that will probably

1. look bad for the sport (maybe even worse than doping)
    2. alienate a lot of fans, especially the English or English-speaking fans
    3. probably no GC rider will want to be "the bait" to incite Sky, their sponsors won't like it if they act foolish (even though if it's to bring down Sky).

so, not gonna happen, and Sky will win again
    You raise good points and I agree. If a GC contender wants yellow they have to earn it instead of riding on SKY's coat tails and waiting for other GC contenders to falter. I believe it was Movistar and Tinkoff who isolated and dropped Froome in 2016 Vuelta Stage 15.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    I feel like today was an attempt to force Sky to exert more energy and put them more into the tank heading into what should be a decisive stage. I feel like Landa will attack in the same way tomorrow and you may even see Valverde go earlier. Force Sky to break early force the race onto only the shoulders of Froome and Thomas and see how the deal with the attacks of fresher riders.

Just a thought but feel like today was just the start of a very different strategy and an attempt to actually push sky to the limit. Guess time will tell

RoadBikeReview Member
    It was a combination of Movistar and Contador's Tinkoff team that used their teams to work together to isolate Froome, however they didn't start doing it soon enough for it to truly work. At that time Contador and Valverde were very willing to work together and help each other. Now the problem is there isn't another team out there that will work with a Quintana led Movistar Team (even if he's one of 3 leaders).

Landa likely won't do anything tomorrow as he was suffering the effects of that crash pretty badly today. From comments Valverde said and what he did not say after the stage I don't think he intends on doing anything like he did today again. If he does anything it'll be to go out in a break to go stage hunting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm loving this Tour. So many misguided people who don't like Froome and Sky. Yet they animate the race today and show how Tours are won, while being the most gracious bunch of pro cyclists on the circuit. I love it. Wasn't really a fan of any one team, but with all the unwarranted abuse, I tend to root for them more. Nibali and Quintana are such whiners - F em. TOmmy D is gracious too, though these mountains look like too much for him.

and I look forward to enjoying Warren Barguil's win tomorrow on d'Huez.

so for me, it's anyone but Quintana or Nibali.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 07-18-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Sky. Anybody but Sky.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Sky. Anybody but Sky.
    Yup....the GC was always a lock as soon as he was allowed to race. There's basically no suspense. Would be nice if we would just get on with it and crown the GC already, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I'm loving this Tour. So many misguided people who don't like Froome and Sky. Yet they animate the race today and show how Tours are won, while being the most gracious bunch of pro cyclists on the circuit. I love it. Wasn't really a fan of any one team, but with all the unwarranted abuse, I tend to root for them more. Nibali and Quintana are such whiners - F em. TOmmy D is gracious too, though these mountains look like too much for him.

and I look forward to enjoying Warren Barguil's win tomorrow on d'Huez.

so for me, it's anyone but Quintana or Nibali.
    Only on mountain stages. They wheel suck on flats...then on the mountains they burn their teammates. It is basically as predictable as sunrises and sets at this point.

They're a more soft-spoken UK Postal.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yup....the GC was always a lock as soon as he was allowed to race. There's basically no suspense. Would be nice if we would just get on with it and crown the GC already, and move on.

Only on mountain stages. They wheel suck on flats...then on the mountains they burn their teammates. It is basically as predictable as sunrises and sets at this point.

They're a more soft-spoken UK Postal.
    I guess there is still the possibility that Froome gets his meds wrong and has a bad day. Having a single dominant rider and dominant team has been the norm, not the exception, for as long I I've been watching the Tour

RoadBikeReview Member
    nice result. and Thomas said it himself at the end 'he's probably the best one ever', talking about Froome.

I guess he forgets about Eddy and Lemond

did you see the ahole spectator punch froome in the head, somewhere around 7km to go? That just makes this victory sweeter imho.

glad the lead group waited for Nibali to get almost back. it seems like they waited, anyways
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast