Anyone think Froome will leave? I do.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Anyone think Froome will leave? I do.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chr...ason-transfer/

Although I'm not a froomey fan-boy, I've never been a fan of that whole 'co-leader/let the road decide' thing and would not be surprised if he leaves if given the chance and/or contract option. If your leader gets sick, crashes out or has a couple of bad days I get it, go to your #2 and carry on but leaving stage 1 without a clear leader is poor form IMHO.

Bernal is the long-term Skyneos star and everyone, including Froome and Thomas, knows it.
    Thoughts?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The question is where would he go? Bahrain and maybe UAE are the only teams that might be able to pay close to his currently salary. To go anywhere else would be a pay cut. Now Israel cycling may be one that could be an option and a team in need of a GC rider IF he's willing to take a pay cut. Why there are rumors he may go to Movistar I have no idea. He's have to take a major pay cut and would still be at best co-leader of a race and likely co-leader with between 2 and 3 other riders and may not even get leadership at the Tour and won't at la Vuelta. Plus Movistar is currently building a young team around Enric Mas (and Soler). Plus they have good chemistry right now with the two young leaders being friends and getting along well with their veteran leader. Plus Froome would have to be willing to go to a team with an entrenched team leader who gets his calendar first and everyone else has their calendar built our his. Froome would have to be able to deal with another rider having full trust of management and having a lot of control over the team. Plus he'd have to be able to deal with no training camps of any kind and having no one who is going to any race specifically for him. Plus he'd have to understand that any race he goes to with Valverde that Valverde will always be a protected rider and has a free role to do whatever he wants to and is not required to work for anyone.
    Bahrain would be interesting. UAE has Pogacar, but I suspect Pogacar needs another year or two before he's really going to be able to do 2 GT's in a year and Aru may or may not get back to the best levels he had.
    I do think it's possible, just not really many options out there for him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a good point, this isn't a 'normal' year and most teams are in 'wait and see' mode.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    A report from Marca says that Movistar is not interested in any mid season transfers, is very happy with their team the way it is and has no interest in Froome. They also said they have no spoken to Froome or his agent. The reporter said that Israel Cycling did confirm they have spoken to Froome and his agent.
    Another report I saw said Ineos is saying they won't let Froome leave so no mid season transfer.

Pack Fodder.
    Trek? A reunification of Porte and Froome?

I'd personally love to see an on-form Froome outside the confines of Ineos, with a proper supporting team. Thomas, too. Maybe I'd just like to see the GC talent spread out a bit more to make the races more interesting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    If Ineos doesn't want to release Froome mid-season, then if I were Froome, then I'd go to the Tour and ride my own race. It's like Lance and Alberto duel. I'm betting Froome will get the better of Bernal because of Froome's TT ability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The TT is a uphill drag and a climb. Also that is assuming Froome is recovered and back to a previous level from an injury no one has successfully done that before.

Unzue has again said to another reporter that they have no spoken to Froome or his agent and have no interest in signing him. He also again said they are very happy with their 3 current leaders.

On the other hand both Israel Cycling and Bahrain have admitted to talking to Froome although in Bahrain's case it sounds like it's more for next year than a mid season transfer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    The TT is a uphill drag and a climb. Also that is assuming Froome is recovered and back to a previous level from an injury no one has successfully done that before.

Unzue has again said to another reporter that they have no spoken to Froome or his agent and have no interest in signing him. He also again said they are very happy with their 3 current leaders.

On the other hand both Israel Cycling and Bahrain have admitted to talking to Froome although in Bahrain's case it sounds like it's more for next year than a mid season transfer.
    Moviestar ain't gonna no grand tour with Soler, Mas, Valverde. Soler and Mas are domestiques. Valverde is just too old, too punchy of a climber, and lacking TT of the top GC's. Furthermore, Soler has no leadership quality, he's a spoiled little brat, that once Valverde is gone, he'll be fighting with other teammates. The only grand tour Moviestar could possibly win is the Vuelta and if big name GCs don't show up. Forget Giro and definitely forget Le Tour.

Too bad they didn't grab Remco Evnepole! Evnepole will be better than both Mas and Soler.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Froome makes a lot of money - not many teams right can afford the riders they have, let alone someone who makes what Froome will expect. Ineos is probably the only team that can afford him, but he doesn't really seem interested in dealing with Bernal, and to a lesser degree Thomas. Maybe if he's willling to give someone a discount for the opportunity to be a one-man-show...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Froome makes a lot of money - not many teams right can afford the riders they have, let alone someone who makes what Froome will expect. Ineos is probably the only team that can afford him, but he doesn't really seem interested in dealing with Bernal, and to a lesser degree Thomas. Maybe if he's willling to give someone a discount for the opportunity to be a one-man-show...
    With Bernal now the main guy guy at Ineos, so even if Froome stays with Ineos under a new contract, it will be a reduced contract anyway. So, it's best that he moves to another team, accept less money there, and be the main guy there.

I'm not a Froome guy because of Sky. But if he were to go to another team, I'd definitely be rooting for him to stick it to Ineos. It'll make the commentary booth talks more exciting

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Moviestar ain't gonna no grand tour with Soler, Mas, Valverde. Soler and Mas are domestiques. Valverde is just too old, too punchy of a climber, and lacking TT of the top GC's. Furthermore, Soler has no leadership quality, he's a spoiled little brat, that once Valverde is gone, he'll be fighting with other teammates. The only grand tour Moviestar could possibly win is the Vuelta and if big name GCs don't show up. Forget Giro and definitely forget Le Tour.

Too bad they didn't grab Remco Evnepole! Evnepole will be better than both Mas and Soler.
    You do remember that Enric Mas has a Vuelta podium, right? Mas also has leadership qualities. You do remember Valverde has won a Vuelta and has the record for podiums at la Vuelta as well. I'm not sure how good Mas is as a TTer, but Soler actually can do good TTs. His TT is what put him a position to have a chance to win the Paris-Nice that he won. Also remember Movistar for the most part ignores the Giro many times sending either a team to learn or a team to hopefully find a stage to win somewhere. It's not exactly high on their priority list. Also la Vuelta is as important to them as the Tour. Remember they are a Spanish team with a Spanish sponsor so a Vuelta win and even Vuelta podiums are highly important to them. The big thing here is the team is building for the future. Signing a 35 year old from another team coming off a very serious injury that no one has successfully come back form isn't exactly in that plan. Allowing their own 40 year to keep racing as long as he wishes is a different issue as they feel they owe him more than they can ever repay him for all he's given to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    You do remember that Enric Mas has a Vuelta podium, right? Mas also has leadership qualities. You do remember Valverde has won a Vuelta and has the record for podiums at la Vuelta as well. I'm not sure how good Mas is as a TTer, but Soler actually can do good TTs. His TT is what put him a position to have a chance to win the Paris-Nice that he won. Also remember Movistar for the most part ignores the Giro many times sending either a team to learn or a team to hopefully find a stage to win somewhere. It's not exactly high on their priority list. Also la Vuelta is as important to them as the Tour. Remember they are a Spanish team with a Spanish sponsor so a Vuelta win and even Vuelta podiums are highly important to them. The big thing here is the team is building for the future. Signing a 35 year old from another team coming off a very serious injury that no one has successfully come back form isn't exactly in that plan. Allowing their own 40 year to keep racing as long as he wishes is a different issue as they feel they owe him more than they can ever repay him for all he's given to them.
    I don't think aclinjury was just pulling this out of his arse. Several major cycling publications have reported rumors that Movistar has had discussions with Froome. None of the rumors have been confirmed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those rumors have been flat out denied by Movistar. We've also had at least 2 different Spanish reporters actually ask Mr Unzue who has flat out denied having talked to Froome or his agent and has flat out said they have no interest in Froome. He also said they have zero interest in any mid season transfer this year. There is a huge difference between not discussing negotiations and a flat out denial. Mr Unzue has flat out reaffirmed they are very happy with their current set of leaders and that they are building a team around Mas and Soler. Froome does not fit into rebuilding around those two. If I remember correctly when he was asked about Mas last year before transfers are allowed his response was of course we are interested in Mas and hope to be able to bring him here eventually, but we do not discuss negotiations. Also two of the teams who were rumored to be interested in Froome, Bahrain and Israel Cycling, have confirmed they have spoken to him and Israel Cycling confirmed they are interested in bringing him over as a mid season transfer or for next year. So two teams have confirmed they have spoken to him, of those two one confirmed they are interested, and one team has flat out denied the rumors and said they have zero interest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A light hearted look at Chris Froome

https://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    It seems the cycling media has finally got the point that Movistar isn't interested in Froome. However it does appear they are interested in some of the CCC riders if that team does fold.
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mov...tial-signings/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Today the latest rumor is Froome is Israel start-up. At least this time Israel Start-Up has already confirmed having spoken to him.

Proud luddite
    The speculation is over, with Froome signing with a new team. But my question is: considering his age and the severity of his injuries from last year, will he be in good form or just a shadow of his former self?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Due to the injuries, my opinion is he'll be lucky to finish top 10 let alone with again. He's raced once since the injury and that was UAE where he did nothing. The age isn't helping, but riders in their 20's never were able to regain the level they had before injuries similar to what Froome suffered.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Due to the injuries, my opinion is he'll be lucky to finish top 10 let alone with again. He's raced once since the injury and that was UAE where he did nothing. The age isn't helping, but riders in their 20's never were able to regain the level they had before injuries similar to what Froome suffered.
    what riders in their 20s suffered similar injuries to froome?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What rider in their 20s survived metastatic cancer and came back to podium?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    What rider in their 20s survived metastatic cancer and came back to podium?
    Shhhhh, he cheated donchyaknow?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Joseba Beloki

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Joseba Beloki
    Oh, thanks. Now I canít unsee the image of him hitting the tarmac on that hot July day.

Pack Fodder.
    Froome is done. If he had the Ineos Machine fully at his disposal, maybe he could win, but with two other contenders on his team he can't do it all on his own.

I don't see Israel Start Up having the same sort of resources to build the sort of support structure he needs, at his age, to counter all of the new challenges. I think the best they can hope for are some aging super-domestiques.

Then again, wrecks and illness have turned the Tour on its ear before, so I could be wrong. He could catch a break, but it's a long shot.

I think four is where he stops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If Froome were French then I'd be cheering for him. The host nation needs to win this at lease once every 1/4 decade.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.