Armstrong.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armstrong.

Eat Fast. Die fat.

Armstrong.

I've been heaping the crap up against the man since I heard he was "coming back". But, I've just seen the dude on the net, I think he's going to eat the tour next year. Have you seen the man, he looks like a white, American, Bruce Lee.

He's won it 7 times already so he's got it in him to do it. I think, provided some whackjob doesn't sabotage him he'll do it again. Might even win a proper sprint finish.

It's a shame too, because I wanted Evans to take it next year, but if LA is there on the last day of the tour, he'll more than likely make it 8 wins.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have yourself an electrical problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagakure
    I've been heaping the crap up against the man since I heard he was "coming back"...
    Why ?

flinty-eyed moderator
    I've been heaping the crap up against the man since I heard he was "coming back". But, I've just seen the dude on the net, I think he's going to eat the tour next year. Have you seen the man, he looks like a white, American, Bruce Lee.

He's won it 7 times already so he's got it in him to do it. I think, provided some whackjob doesn't sabotage him he'll do it again. Might even win a proper sprint finish.

It's a shame too, because I wanted Evans to take it next year, but if LA is there on the last day of the tour, he'll more than likely make it 8 wins.
    Nope, he's second fastest on his own team. Conty, if healthy, will win it. You lose your explosiveness when you age, and that will hurt him on the Spanish climbs- where Conty will thrive.

More likely he is aiming for a Giro win, and using the Tour as his backup (anything can happen; illness, crashes, overuse injuries- if Conty can't make the start then its a different game). The last two years have made it clear that no one is one Conty's level as a GT rider right now. Andy Shleck may be if he ever learns to TT like a contender.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Andy Shleck may be if he ever learns to TT like a contender.
    But we aren't crossing our fingers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Contador is a very explosive climber and I think that's what allowed him to win the Vuelta. I think overall, Levi was stronger than him. Unfortunately Levi doesn't have the kick that Conti has. So Levi had to sit back while Conti attacked. If they were on different teams, I believe Levi would have pulled him back and beat him in the TT's. That was Levi, will see how it plays out with Lance on the team. It will be interesting, because the other teams will have to chase down at least three riders from Astana if they attack. How do you deal with that?

Eat Fast. Die fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc
    Why ?
    Never been a fan, and I believe if you retire, stay that way. e.g. Lemond (his comeback wasn't pretty) Jordon (was it 15 retirements)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    You lose your explosiveness when you age.
    My new excuse for when I get smashed on the hill. Thanks.

Nov 2008
    i dont think that armstrong will be willing to lose. if he has the form to win, and he isnt team leader, then i think it will turn into a lemond, Hinault situation. when the mountaind stages come i dont think he will be able to play domestique to contador.

banned
    Jun 2008
    Never been a fan, and I believe if you retire, stay that way. e.g. Lemond (his comeback wasn't pretty) Jordon (was it 15 retirements)

My new excuse for when I get smashed on the hill. Thanks.
    Not sure I can connect the dots between your original post and this one? Help me out here!

Eat Fast. Die fat.
    I'm not a fan of Lance Armstrong.

Besides the fact that I'm not a fan, I think he'll take it next year.

I don't agree with retiring, un-retiring, re-retiring, etc etc.

As you age, you lose your explosiveness - I'm old, and have yet another excuse for when I get dropped on the hills.

No attempt to start a flame war, just posting a comment on the web.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    [QUOTE=Hagakure]I don't agree with retiring, un-retiring, re-retiring, etc etc.
    QUOTE]

Everyones got a right to change their minds. It seems common in the sporting business. Sometimes stepping away from the pressure to perform at the highest level and moving away from the spotlight gives an athlete time to find the true meaning of what it means to be a professional athlete.

I couldn't figure why you want Cadel Evans to win (assuming you are talking about him). That guy is the biggest jerk*** in the cycling community and probably would be still a straight up as***** if he wasn't a pro cyclist.

Lemur-ing
    [QUOTE=tjjm36m3]
    QUOTE]

Everyones got a right to change their minds. It seems common in the sporting business. Sometimes stepping away from the pressure to perform at the highest level and moving away from the spotlight gives an athlete time to find the true meaning of what it means to be a professional athlete.

I couldn't figure why you want Cadel Evans to win (assuming you are talking about him). That guy is the biggest jerk*** in the cycling community and probably would be still a straight up as***** if he wasn't a pro cyclist.
    Agreed on the first part.

Cadel - while I think he says too much that he shouldn't, a friend of mine knows him and he's actually a pretty cool/nice/good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiTSPiNiNArOuND
    Contador is a very explosive climber and I think that's what allowed him to win the Vuelta. I think overall, Levi was stronger than him. Unfortunately Levi doesn't have the kick that Conti has. So Levi had to sit back while Conti attacked. If they were on different teams, I believe Levi would have pulled him back and beat him in the TT's. That was Levi, will see how it plays out with Lance on the team. It will be interesting, because the other teams will have to chase down at least three riders from Astana if they attack. How do you deal with that?

Levi Leipheimer could have pulled him back. He didn't have to sit back because he was not explosive. He had to sit back because Alberto Contador was the team leader from the first day of that race. That's the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Eat Fast. Die fat.
    [QUOTE=tjjm36m3]
    QUOTE]

Never thought of it like that before. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by tjjm36m3
    Why Cadel? I don't know, I've watch the bloke for a while, he acts like a prim Madonna, a proper diva but, I'd love to see if it's all attitude. He obviously can run with the big dogs so I just figure he was close enough last year lets see him back it up...

I'd also like to see Cavendish take out the green. FWIW

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's my 2 cents. Lance has come out and publicly declared that A.C. is the #1 rider on the team. He'd be thrashed in the press and by the European public for going against his word. I think this would cause irreputable damage to his cancer cause if this were to happen. I also think that since he's never won the Giro, that is his ultimate riding goal this year. Winning the Giro would get him massive press in Italy and again...help the cancer cause, which he says is why he is really coming back.

That being said, if A.C. is not up to winning i have no doubt L.A. will go for the win. I just hope is doesn't come down to L.A. holding back so A.C. can take a win and making the whole situation look fake.

banned
    Jun 2008
    [QUOTE=tjjm36m3]
    QUOTE]

I think you're right. It's extraordinarily hard to quit while at the top of your sport. I will have more respect for him if he battles till he can't go with the big dogs or his health fails him. It will not damage his legacy whatsoever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I agree Levi could have pulled him back. Your also right that Contador was the team leader. I think more or less what I was trying to say is that if Levi was on a different team, he would have one. He wouldn't have to worry about pulling other riders along with him. When I referring to the explosiveness of Alberto, and Levi having to seat back, I thought too far back to the TdF. My mistake.

Gunnar Shogren is my hero
    Oct 2008
    Am I the only one to think Lance is on Astana so Astana gets invited to the TdF?

Oh, and I think he will win it too!

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Just James
    Am I the only one to think Lance is on Astana so Astana gets invited to the TdF?
    Yes, you are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Lance (et al "Sports Legends") and retiring and un-retiring: I hope he keeps racing till he's in his 80s...I'd love to see more 'Big Dogs' keep at it in some kinda Age-Category competition. I imagine that as Lance ages, he'll still be a phenomenal rider..compared to other's his own age (and many many of any age whatsoever)

Yah think that older riders don't 'hurt' every bit as much as a Euro-Pro when they give it their all? If an athelete is willing to keep training as they age. and can get by the inevitable decrease in their performance as the years stack up against them, they can bring the same intensity to the starting line...they just go a bit slower than they did in their prime...

Look at people like Jeanne Longo, Ned O, etc etc etc. They still do ok and would kick butt on most of the RBR riders of any age...

Just sayin' (being over 60 my own self)

Don Hanson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
    Look at people like Jeanne Longo, Ned O, etc etc etc. They still do ok and would kick butt on most of the RBR riders of any age...

Just sayin' (being over 60 my own self)

Don Hanson
    Longo did a few races in the denver area this past season. On a curcuit race she got 3rd in the men's 45+ group. (of 52 racers)
    it wasn't her only race of the day... she also won the women's 1-2 race. (as well shee did the next day)

so yea, lot of loungers who'd get dropped by her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

YES & ur right...

Quote Originally Posted by grittsm8
    i dont think that armstrong will be willing to lose. if he has the form to win, and he isnt team leader, then i think it will turn into a lemond, Hinault situation. when the mountaind stages come i dont think he will be able to play domestique to contador.
    The race will definately turn out to be a Hinault / Lemond situation... But the difference will be that there will NOT be any understandings of who will win... It will be the stronger rider will win from the start ....

And as for being a domestique for contador in the mountain stages... I dont think Lance will give 120% and pull contador up the mountain exhausting all his energy... Rather he will be a Master of effort expelled.... He will pull, but then expect to be pulled....

I think at some point, it will be Lances turn to pull and Conti will not be able to stay... He will KRAK... and wee will hear it over hear in the states....

Can you imagine Ligget saying "Lance is pulling away... yes he is moving on, and Conti has cracked... YES Conti has cracked" ....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fleck
    Longo did a few races in the denver area this past season. On a curcuit race she got 3rd in the men's 45+ group. (of 52 racers)
    it wasn't her only race of the day... she also won the women's 1-2 race. (as well shee did the next day)

so yea, lot of loungers who'd get dropped by her.
    forget dropping the loungers, Longo can still give the pros a run for their money and so can Overend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe if you retire, stay that way. e.g. Lemond (his comeback wasn't pretty)
    When was that? Lemond retired in 94 and didn't even talk about a comeback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love him or hate him, you gotta agree he puts cycling in the USA back on center stage.
    There are people in my office who haven't touched a bicycle since their youth but can't wait to ask me "so what do you think about Lance coming out of retirement"?

I for one am glad to see him back, gives our sport real credibility in this country and the folks in the office will stop calling me the crazy dude in spandex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    [QUOTE=Hagakure]
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjm36m3
    Why Cadel? I don't know, I've watch the bloke for a while, he acts like a prim Madonna, a proper diva but, I'd love to see if it's all attitude. He obviously can run with the big dogs so I just figure he was close enough last year lets see him back it up...FWIW
    For me Cadel is a big sissy or little sissy since he's a climber. When he went psycho on the reporter in TDF that touched his shoulder after he wrecked that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

He sucks on the wheels, can't attack and when he does can't hold it for very long, or won't hold it for very long.

For me the older riders pre Cadel were the ****. Yeah they used performance enhancement, but they had a blood and guts attitude that is missing in a rider like Cadel.

My own personal request is for Lance to destroy Contador, to school him the old school way. Lance rode with some real legends of the sport, he's been around real men most of his professional cycling career.
    Last edited by heathb; 12-27-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast