Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Stage 1: Official Thread. Spoilers etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lemur-ing

Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré Stage 1: Official Thread. Spoilers etc.

Today is the start of the Dauphiné Libéré with the Prologue taking place today.

What are your thoughts?

I pick Alberto Contador for the win and yellow.

Will Valverde be able to do well in the TT today or will he have one of those days?

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Lemur-ing
    Here is the new temporary classification : 1. Ivan Gutierrez (GCE, 16'12"59), 2. Brent Bookwalter (BMC, 16'18"23), 3. William Bonnet (BBO, 16'19"27).

Not gonna last long for sure.

I heard there's a pretty steep climb in the TT? Damn commercial break now.
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Nibali misses 1st by 0.46 seconds.

Alberto Contador is off now! New TT bike paint scheme for him.

Evans is already out. Seems the race directors are not showing the big guys here.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Frantisek Rabon gets 3rd now. Rosseler is still leading.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Ivan Basso is about to roll now.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Boonen is 58th at 38.9seconds down.

Great ride by him IMO given the pretty nice climb at the start.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Evans leads at the 3km time check.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Don Alejandro leaves the start house now.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Contador at 3seconds behind Evans after the first time check.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    Evans sets the fastest time at 15:36, slaying the course indeed.

Wow what a ride by Cadel.

Alberto Contador comes now and he's 2nd at 15:44.
    Allez United!

banned
    Jul 2006
    Evans crushes it. Man, he is on form

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpinkt
    Evans crushes it. Man, he is on form
    I liked the commentators on the EuroSport...saying Cadel Evans "Looked slow"...or something like that and that "4 weeks out of competition" was likely to cause him a slow ride...
    So much for the commentators expertise...Nice talkers, though..

Don Hanson

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    Battle is joined. Already this looks like a 3 horse race.
    My money is still on Valverde - just! Contador and Evans won't want to over cook themselves before the TdF. Valverde can go flat out. Also Valverde has the better sprint, his TT is pretty good (as today showed) and he can climb with the best of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by albert owen
    Battle is joined. Already this looks like a 3 horse race.
    My money is still on Valverde - just! Contador and Evans won't want to over cook themselves before the TdF. Valverde can go flat out. Also Valverde has the better sprint, his TT is pretty good (as today showed) and he can climb with the best of them.
    Yah, but his bike is UGLY! Worse even than that POS paint job Lance was riding in the Giro...
    That is just as important as winning....Looking good when you ride..just ask anyone at Starbucks next Saturday...grin!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Couldn't see a maker's name on Columbia's bikes! Surely they're not buying their own TT bikes?

Good Person
    Quote Originally Posted by baker921
    Couldn't see a maker's name on Columbia's bikes! Surely they're not buying their own TT bikes?

I didn't watch the Dauphine, but last time I checked Columbia was still riding their old Giant TT bikes.

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    Pinarellos are beautiful - especially mine. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    You know Alberto's teammates were pissed. The only way they get paid these days is if they win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone notice David Millar's bar? Kind of an odd looking creature.

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb
    I didn't watch the Dauphine, but last time I checked Columbia was still riding their old Giant TT bikes.
    yeah, team columbia is riding on the giants they helped design. they are unhappy with the scott TT offering, as it is a tri bike, not TT. scott DID deliver a plasma TT bike for the giro, but i dont think anyone rode it.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...009/news/04-03
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

your text here
    evans surprised me! i, too, thought he looked slow every time they showed him. so much that i was making jokes in my head about his bike.

too bad basso had the handlebars slip. he looked so frustrated. in a three week race he might be able to pull that time back. but that much in a one week race? he needs the other contenders to really mess it up.

does this mean boonen CAN race the tour, or is that still up in the air?

contadors bike wasnt THAT ugly. it was better than the yellow/black road rig lance had during the giro. it reminded me of joe satrianis old guitars. wonder what the story is behind the line paintings.

i also noticed the head tube/TT junction was different. looked like the HT sloped in the back to the TT. will have to look for more info on it.
    edit: here is the best angle i could find:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    Still up in the air, although the decision will rest solely with the UCI; whatever they say will hold. Boonen could luck out because any sort of trial for him will likely come after the Tour, and the UCI really can't touch him before the results of that trial.

Lemur-ing
    yeah, team columbia is riding on the giants they helped design. they are unhappy with the scott TT offering, as it is a tri bike, not TT. scott DID deliver a plasma TT bike for the giro, but i dont think anyone rode it.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...009/news/04-03
    Wait, I thought they were riding the new Scott Plasma 2 or something that Mick Rogers and George Hincapie got a hold of during the Giro and recently (respectively)?

I know they have their head tube and stem joined or something like that for these new bikes.
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    evans surprised me! i, too, thought he looked slow every time they showed him. so much that i was making jokes in my head about his bike.

too bad basso had the handlebars slip. he looked so frustrated. in a three week race he might be able to pull that time back. but that much in a one week race? he needs the other contenders to really mess it up.

contadors bike wasnt THAT ugly. it was better than the yellow/black road rig lance had during the giro. it reminded me of joe satrianis old guitars. wonder what the story is behind the line paintings.

i also noticed the head tube/TT junction was different. looked like the HT sloped in the back to the TT. will have to look for more info on it.
    edit: here is the best angle i could find:
    EuroSport did not show Basso slip or something.

They showed what looked to be an elephant in Bert Grabsch as it was a rear view And he almost slipped the rear wheel at one point.

Honestly, I thought Evans would do well but favored Contador especially once I found out there was a decent enough climb at the start (well, for such a short race, that climb was surely a factor) but I suppose Cadel really is having some good legs and can climb as well (as we all know though). Additionally, I think he's been working on his TT a little bit as well. I mean, he was good, but this, IMO, is a kind of TT that is better than he was capable of last year perhaps.

Then again, I'm basing that on the TdF final TT last year where he was already fatigued so......

The TTX that Contador was riding looked pretty much the same as what the rest of the team has been riding all year round. I know there is something about a new design in the works but that's a regular TTX from what I recalled during yesterday's stage since I could see the side profile of the bike as well.

At least, I think so.

Valverde - he's gonna be the one who will want to defend his title because he's got practically nothing till the Vuelta that really, really matters so expect him to really lay down the gauntlet early and maybe even try for bonus sprints too.

Basso - fatigued for sure. I'd like to see him do well in the mountains though.

//Levi would have slayed this TT fwiw.
    Allez United!

your text here
    doesnt eurosport get the same video feed as everyone else? the basso handlbar slip happened about 1:40 into the 2 hour coverage. on the versus coverage paul mentioned basso looked like he was riding high, and not in an aero tuck. the next shot showed basso with his handlebars dipped low. he quickly torqued them up and then smacked them out of frustration.

gransch did look huge in the hindquarters. i kept telling myself it must be for power, but he looked as wide as the mom-jeans wearing slob i was behind at starbucks the other day. and thats saying something coming from my wide-load self. i did see him slip. did he lock up that wheel or something? he was coming off the bridge and i initially thought he hit the expansion joint funny, but that wasnt it. the easy joke is to say his weight threw it off...

cadel has been in a few races lately, so i guess it does make sense he was a bit more ready. contador hasnt been racing, so he is not "race fit" right now. he came close, but cadel just stomped that course.

and im tellin ya, the HT/TT junction is different on that TTX. cycling news has a lil bit more infor on teh new ttx this morning:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...009/news/06-08

and i agree: it will should be a throw down between valverde, conti, and evans. it might come down to who has the best team.

Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    EuroSport did not show Basso slip or something.

They showed what looked to be an elephant in Bert Grabsch as it was a rear view And he almost slipped the rear wheel at one point.

Honestly, I thought Evans would do well but favored Contador especially once I found out there was a decent enough climb at the start (well, for such a short race, that climb was surely a factor) but I suppose Cadel really is having some good legs and can climb as well (as we all know though). Additionally, I think he's been working on his TT a little bit as well. I mean, he was good, but this, IMO, is a kind of TT that is better than he was capable of last year perhaps.

Then again, I'm basing that on the TdF final TT last year where he was already fatigued so......

The TTX that Contador was riding looked pretty much the same as what the rest of the team has been riding all year round. I know there is something about a new design in the works but that's a regular TTX from what I recalled during yesterday's stage since I could see the side profile of the bike as well.

At least, I think so.

Valverde - he's gonna be the one who will want to defend his title because he's got practically nothing till the Vuelta that really, really matters so expect him to really lay down the gauntlet early and maybe even try for bonus sprints too.

Basso - fatigued for sure. I'd like to see him do well in the mountains though.

//Levi would have slayed this TT fwiw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast