Cycling fans are different from other sports fans
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Cycling fans are different from other sports fans

I just posted, on the Forum, "Anybody changed their minds about Jan?".
    This is what i love about cycling fans, i didnt get from any of the replies, that Ulrich, Basso or any rider will be an unwelcome winner. Take practically any other sport, Football, Rugby, American football, Basketball whatever and there are definite lines drawn. In other sports we would find it much harder to be glad and gracious about someone other than our team or countryman winning. I wonder why? Is it because we have all suffered on our bikes in a way that we feel akin to many of them which we dont connect with other sports persons? Im English and if i were to cheer on Germany in the World Cup, which is about to start soon, i would be stoned, but i have no problem admitting i want Jan to trounce the opposition come July. I will be pushing him up the Cols with will power as much as i will be willing the ball to go into the net for England in the World cup. And if he doesnt win, it wont much matter, ill be happy for any of them to win. I feel whoever wins, will desrve it, and therefore deserve respect for it. Do you feel the same? Why am i so willing to give up my heroes? And if you feel the same, Why do you feel this way?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Not exactly sure what your point is, but one of the things that I love about pro cycling is all the different races within the race... KOM, sprinter, daily stages, etc...

On a different note, there was plenty of LA hating going on the past few years- which seems to fly in the face of your argument. Many people did not want him to win-- lines WERE drawn.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Not exactly sure what your point is, but one of the things that I love about pro cycling is all the different races within the race... KOM, sprinter, daily stages, etc...

On a different note, there was plenty of LA hating going on the past few years- which seems to fly in the face of your argument. Many people did not want him to win-- lines WERE drawn.
    I get what he is saying. As an American, I didn't care that Armstrong kept winning. I would have liked to seen a different winner. This year i'll be rooting for Basso, Ullrich, Landis, ...

AJL
    Well, all, or almost all, of the ProTour teams are multinational - that certainly helps reduce polarization. The polarization, it seems to me, comes mainly from the dark side of the sport (re: Doping, or rather, who is doping and who isn't). Also, as you mention, there are more bicycle racing fans who ride bikes than there are football fan that play football (at least percentage wise) - and a reasonably large number of us are at least enthusiasts, if not racers or former racers. So overall, I think you've got it right Piles!

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL
    Well, all, or almost all, of the ProTour teams are multinational - that certainly helps reduce polarization. The polarization, it seems to me, comes mainly from the dark side of the sport (re: Doping, or rather, who is doping and who isn't). Also, as you mention, there are more bicycle racing fans who ride bikes than there are football fan that play football (at least percentage wise) - and a reasonably large number of us are at least enthusiasts, if not racers or former racers. So overall, I think you've got it right Piles!
    It would be interesting to see the stats on what percentage of nationalities make up each team. Off the top of my head, Euskatel is completely Basque filled (they might have a south American on the team...I forget).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    It could be that cyclists don't live vicariously through their favorite team/player like fans of other sports do. I hate it when I hear fans of other sports talking about their favorite team using the word "we" as if they somehow are involved in the decisions and success or loss of the team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wks9326
    It could be that cyclists don't live vicariously through their favorite team/player like fans of other sports do. I hate it when I hear fans of other sports talking about their favorite team using the word "we" as if they somehow are involved in the decisions and success or loss of the team.
    Yeh, i love that one to. Too many of the guys at work will refer to a football match played at the weekend as "WE". How sad! I never see them on the pitch with the other players.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I agree the multinationality is a part of it. Also, I think that teams are so less stable over time that means that your fav will be gone pretty quickly in most cases...so its time to move on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Piles
    Yeh, i love that one to. Too many of the guys at work will refer to a football match played at the weekend as "WE". How sad! I never see them on the pitch with the other players.
    Sports parents are the worst - when their kid's team wins it's "we won" but if they lose it is always "they lost". They always deny they are trying to live vicariously through their kids but the language says it all (along with the violent outbursts at games).

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    2nd that on Armstrong hating. "cycling fans" spit on him going up the mountains on his #6 ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Piles
    I just posted, on the Forum, "Anybody changed their minds about Jan?".
    This is what i love about cycling fans, i didnt get from any of the replies, that Ulrich, Basso or any rider will be an unwelcome winner. Take practically any other sport, Football, Rugby, American football, Basketball whatever and there are definite lines drawn. In other sports we would find it much harder to be glad and gracious about someone other than our team or countryman winning. I wonder why? Is it because we have all suffered on our bikes in a way that we feel akin to many of them which we dont connect with other sports persons? Im English and if i were to cheer on Germany in the World Cup, which is about to start soon, i would be stoned, but i have no problem admitting i want Jan to trounce the opposition come July. I will be pushing him up the Cols with will power as much as i will be willing the ball to go into the net for England in the World cup. And if he doesnt win, it wont much matter, ill be happy for any of them to win. I feel whoever wins, will desrve it, and therefore deserve respect for it. Do you feel the same? Why am i so willing to give up my heroes? And if you feel the same, Why do you feel this way?