Deep fantasy league (WT+HC)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Lightbulb Deep fantasy league (WT+HC)

I'd like to invite you to participate in a rather original project. It is an independent fantasy competition in which you control one WorldTour team, sign riders to long-term contracts via auctions, then designate 8/9 riders for every race and score points based on the real-life outcome. Pretty much makes you feel like a real team owner.

This started in January 2012. As we enter year 2, we're 16 people from all around the world, but we'd like to find more cycling fans to join the fun. Next week we'll hold an expansion draft for any new managers. This is officially the last opportunity to join before the 2013 season.

If you'd like to try it out, sign up here:
    www dot profsl dot com/smf/index.php?topic=44212.0

Where's that GPS?
    I'll give it a try - I see Saxo and Sky are available - I'll take Saxo if that's okay?

Having problems figuring out where on the site I sign-up for a team - please PM me with instructions.
    Last edited by LostViking; 01-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    Having problems figuring out where on the site I sign-up for a team - please PM me with instructions.
    Sent you a PM on ProFSL

Where's that GPS?

Fantasy TDU

So RBRers, here's my Fantasy Team for the Tour Down Under.
    Unfortunetly I wasn't allowed to draft and have a fixed compliment, but here's how it worked out:

Luke Durbridge
    Yauhani Hutarovich
    Andre Greipel
    Kenny VanHummel
    Tom Slagter
    Jack Bobridge
    Koen DeKort
    Gert Steegmans

So what do y'all think?

I'm looking for big things from Durbridge, Greipel, Brobridge and Hutarovich and thinking/hoping for a surprise from Slagter.

Next year I'll be able to draft and trade, but until then I'll make the best out of what I've got.

Would have loved to have had Goss and/or Gerrans for this as they will be super-motivated to get results. Alas....
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    So RBRers, here's my Fantasy Team for the Tour Down Under.
    Unfortunetly I wasn't allowed to draft and have a fixed compliment, but here's how it worked out:

Luke Durbridge
    Yauhani Hutarovich
    Andre Greipel
    Kenny VanHummel
    Tom Slagter
    Jack Bobridge
    Koen DeKort
    Gert Steegmans

So what do y'all think?

I'm looking for big things from Durbridge, Greipel, Brobridge and Hutarovich and thinking/hoping for a surprise from Slagter.

Next year I'll be able to draft and trade, but until then I'll make the best out of what I've got.

Would have loved to have had Goss and/or Gerrans for this as they will be super-motivated to get results. Alas....
    Wow...great call on Slagter!
    "you know that thing in your mind that says "I probably shouldn't be doing this"...we don't have that." - Mark Cavendish

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1823 View Post
    Wow...great call on Slagter!
    I wish I could take credit, but alas the previous manager signed him - I just lucked into it.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    We're nearing the end of year 2.
    It's relatively light and low maintenance, but we're having a lot of fun!

Wanna join for year 3? Free agent auctions and a neo-pro draft begin November 1.
    Check it out yourself: UCI WorldTour

Where's that GPS?
    It's been interesting this year as a rookie.
    Like SaxoBank, I'll def continue - I'm in for the 2014 Session.
    I'm looking forward to being able to shape my team in November.

@Garfield - How many teams are currently available?
    Have any of the current team managers said they will not be
    continuing next year? That could change things by putting big name riders
    on the market for the rookie managers to begin building teams around.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

Where's that GPS?
    If teams are not spoken for by Nov. 1 - will the riders on those teams go on the market or remain with those teams until someone picks up the whole team?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Nobody has quit officially, but you know how life is: there will always be 2-3 either disappearing or choosing to invest their time and energy elsewhere. I'll keep the candidates posted.

I'm not planning to release any riders artificially. The free agency will be big every winter anyway, because most our contracts are for 2 years maximum. This offseason we'll need new teams for Dan Martin, Rui Costa, Porte, Van Avermaet, Horner, Henao, Uran, Scarponi, Majka, Kittel, Degenkolb, Basso, Intxausti, Viviani, Cataldo, Voeckler, Brajkovic, Kiserlovski, Farrar, Nuyens, Rolland, Gallopin, Dani Moreno, LL Sanchez, Bennati, Leukemans, Ten Dam, Renshaw, Langeveld, Breschel, Taaramae, Thomas, and a zillion others

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    FYI:
    Last call for 2014!
    Both the free agency and the neo-pro draft begin on November 1.
    16 people checked in for 2014.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    We have one last-minute opening: Katusha with Uran, van den Broeck, Fuglsang, Hushovd, Goss, Goos, Polanc, and over 60% of their budget still untouched. The auctions are very intense right now, so only sign up if you have free time this very weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    The auctions for year 4 of our league start soon, feel free to sign up here:
    Sign-up sheet

Where's that GPS?
    I hope some folks from here sign up - would be fun to have some folks from these boards in the game as well!

Hurry and sign up (See Garfield's post above) - PM me any questions.

Sign-up quick as we are swiftly approaching the Neo-Pro Draft!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Season started today, only Belkin still available!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    Season started today, only Belkin still available!
    I am in if you still need an owner for Belkin, which is now Lotto NL Jumbo. Just PM me if that's the case.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I am in if you still need an owner for Belkin, which is now Lotto NL Jumbo. Just PM me if that's the case.
    Hi, unfortunately we're full for the moment. But please sign up if you want me to let you know the moment we have a new opening. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    We're back for our fourth season, bigger than ever before: 20 teams and 79 races. Free agent auctions and the neo-pro draft begin on November 1. Join here: Sign-up sheet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Happy to report our main league is growing steadily, and nowadays we look into having even more fun with small games on the side. The newest addition is called Quick Fix - a series of independent mini leagues, each focused on a different type of races, and thus potentially more inclusive for casual fans.

So in case you only follow le Tour de France, or if you're some perverted sadist only watching people hit the ground on wet cobblestones - we're not judging, so do join!

At least five completely separate mini leagues will take place in 2016: cobbles (E3, GW, RvV, PR), Ardennes (BP, AGR, FW, LBL), Giro, Tour, and Vuelta. Each will be preceded by a quick draft, with a salary cap in place, and individual salaries fixed depending on past CQ scores of each rider. Again, feel free to join just one, or some more.

The cobbled season starts soon, please sign up here if interested: Quick Sign-up sheet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    The first draft (cobbles) has started today, but unfortunately one person pulled out. We're still 14, but will accept another person within the next 24-48 hours. Please contact me directly via ProFSL if interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I'm guessing not too many people browse cycling forums in November, so let me start the 2017 recruiting early!

We're coming back stronger than ever. A community of 20 fantastic personalities, and always looking for more cycling die-hards to join us on the dark side, participating in one or more of our fantasy leagues

On the menu in 2017:

- UCI WorldTour aka the main league: big teams, long contracts, neo-pro draft, 500 auctions every November.

- Rainbow Cup: straight up snake draft of all cyclists, but their price is fixed based on past results.

- Country Roads: not one, but nine drafts, as all riders get divided into separate pools: sprinters, puncheurs, GC men etc.

- Quick Fix: a series of 5 mini-leagues (cobbles, Ardennes, 3x GT) where you have to guess the next dominant force some weeks before the proceedings.

- Fine Young Cannibals: new league, focusing on finding fresh talent, a combination of auctions and extensions.

- Wall Street Cycling: another new idea, and the only league where you can make big changes overnight. You auction riders very shortly before every big race, and get rewarded/penalized instantly based on the investment/result ratio.

Please note I'm not around here very often, so in order to join you MUST sign up to ProFSL and contact me there using the links you'll find in my opening post. (Everything's free, btw.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Yes, we'll be back for 2018.
    If interested, please make the leap of faith: create a free ProFSL account and PM me there. Cheers!

Where's that GPS?
    This is fun - so if you like playing in our Velogames groups and such, you'll enjoy this.
    Garfield is also a great resource and helped me out a lot.

So if you are contemplating this, go for it!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Our season-long games are mostly filled, but you can still join one of the daily competitions now that the cycling season is finally underway!

1. In Wall Street Cycling we hold a bunch of intense auctions on the evening before each WT race, and once you secured a rider by betting the highest, you'll score positive if his CQ score exceeds your bet, or negative if it's below: Wall Street Cycling

2. Life Behind Bars is a winner guessing game for anything you please, from TdF polka-dot jersey to a La Tropicale Amissa Bongo stage. Again, a wrong bet is worse off than not placing any, so cycling knowledge is more important than sheer activity: Life Behind Bars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    18 returning teams for 2019, looking for 2 more. The auctions begin on November 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast