Discovery Lineup now up!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Discovery Lineup now up!

Its at thepaceline.com , real good group of riders. Im glad to see that they were able to sign Jason McCartney. I think they will win a classic next year. Real Strong Team!

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiTSPiNiNArOuND
    Its at thepaceline.com , real good group of riders. Im glad to see that they were able to sign Jason McCartney. I think they will win a classic next year. Real Strong Team!
    What number (or %) of US riders does Disco have to have to be a US team? - Thanks, TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

glutton for punishment
    None - it just has to be registered as a US team, ie that's where the company that owns the team is located. Not the sponsor, but the team itself, ie Riis Cycling vs. CSC, or Tailwind Sports vs. Discovery.
    Now, for PR purposes, Discovery will keep a significant number of US riders, which probably has something to do with their signing of McCartney. On the other hand, it doesn't look like they're keeping people like Ventura just to maintain a presence in US races. This is kinda lame, but if you had to choose between Ventura and Leif Hoste, who would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    What number (or %) of US riders does Disco have to have to be a US team? - Thanks, TF

Old enough to know better
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpen
    None - it just has to be registered as a US team, ie that's where the company that owns the team is located. Not the sponsor, but the team itself, ie Riis Cycling vs. CSC, or Tailwind Sports vs. Discovery.
    Now, for PR purposes, Discovery will keep a significant number of US riders, which probably has something to do with their signing of McCartney. On the other hand, it doesn't look like they're keeping people like Ventura just to maintain a presence in US races. This is kinda lame, but if you had to choose between Ventura and Leif Hoste, who would you choose?

Signing Jason McCartney is not just a move to placate people at home and sponsors that want more US riders. He is a great rider, LA went head to head against him at TdG last spring and McCartney put it to him in the mountains down there, no one forget that Jason one the "King of the Mtns" jersey against the likes of LA and the mighty Chris Horner. He also beat Horner at Redlands for the final Olympic spot riding AWAY from everyone the last lap. The guy has talent, its not just a "gift" spot. I personaly think this team is the strongest they ve ever had, look for them to do some real damage in the spring classics and other races where usualy they dont push as hard. Should be a great season up coming, too bad this darn thing called winter has to come around first!
    (PS didnt mean to come off sounding like I m defending the JM move, while i am i did not take offense to the above post, just providing some facts is all)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

that race for the Olympic spot at Redlands...

could have gone to Chris Horner... he went into that race coming off a long and drawn out cold/flu bug; hence, was not at 100% during that period in the season.

Old enough to know better
    Quote Originally Posted by joe mudd
    could have gone to Chris Horner...I just wanted to point out that he went into that race coming off a long and drawn out cold/flu bug, and was not at 100% during that period in the season.
    I agree they could have and I m not knocking Horner they guy can race, BUT that being said I think Discovery really looks at the whole team chemistry thing, and I dont really see Horner being able to deal with working for Lance or Ekimov or Hinicappie for that matter. The spanish are giving him a second go 'round and he isnt just a water bottle guy. I just think Disco didnt want his potential fireworks in that team. Still a great rider just not the best attitude in the world, and if your paying them you get to pick who you put up with and who you dont. I d put Horner on my team any day, but i wouldnt make him "work" for anyone very long either. More things to building a team then just talent, look at the LA Lakers didnt even win it all last year and they had perhaps the two best players in the NBA. Only one guy can win and the whole team has to understand that. I wish all Americans luck next year in their racing no matter where it is.
    Drew

glutton for punishment
    Well, I wouldn't call it a 'gift' either, but I think his nationality was definitely taken into consideration.
    And I'm not sure he went 'head to head' with fancy pants Lance in GA - he was not a threat to LA's overall position, just like Grajales was not.
    Don't get me wrong - I think McCartney is a great racer, love his style, and was really hoping he was going to win here in SF this year. But I also think Discovery was looking for a US rider to replace Floyd.
    Looks like they have a pretty amazing lineup for 05, hard to think who's going to be stronger, or even on the same level. I just hope they don't waste talent like Roger Hammond and Leif Hoste and make them ride in support of Hincapie. I think Hincapie has proven that he's best at being a domestique, not closing the deal. (And good for him, there's nothing wrong with that.)
    (ok, let the flaming begin!)
    -pedro

Not Banned

McCartney / Horner

I think Jason is a better pick for Disco and I think the reasons are
    A) younger w/ greater potential upswing
    I'm already in belief that LA is looking for a young American protege so that the US and it's sponsoring companies can keep the steam up in the coming post LA years. JM and Tom Danielson both fit that "next big American thing' model better than Horner
    B) Both JM and TD will be better suited for 'work', they will adapt easier to dom duties, TD has done a year in europe already
    C) B relates to the aforementioned attitude of CH. I don't see him as a good fit w/ LA
    "The fence cyan't hold, too much bull in a deh pen" as Michael Rose once said.

glutton for punishment
    I'll agree that Mccartney is a better choice for Disco than Horner, but he ain't no spring chicken either. At 31, he's definitely not protege material. And I've never seen any indication tha LA is interested in anything other than his own agenda (which, admittedly, includes some very admirable charity work.) Now, Demol and Brunyeel probably are looking for LA replacements from the US b/c that's where they've found their sponsors. Hence the Danielson signing. And Danielson himself, with his Fort Collins college fund, has already shown more interest in promoting the development of US cycling than LA has. It would be great to see LA do something similar to offset the inevitable 'crash' that will follow his retirement.
    I think Danielson will do very well at Disco, but I hope they don't forget about Zabriskie, either. His Vuelta stage was one of my favorite wins this year, and fifth in the TT at World's ain't too shabby either.
    All in all, Disco looks very formidable - not sure who can boast a comparably strong lineup. And it's great to see the team move away from being so TdF-centric. Perhaps an early dividend of the Pro Tour?

Not Banned

stand corrected

I thought JM was late 20's still. Yes w/ TD and Zabriske, but again I think it's because of Disco, Tailwind, LA et al wanting a 'US Team'. I think LA is looking beyond his riding career, hence the advisory clause in his post racing contract. I think he'd like to, along w/ Johan and Carmichael develop the next big thing as well as a strong US contingent. Regardless JM should make an excellent dom to say the least.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpen
    I would chose Robbie, but then I love crits and live a few miles from his home.

I did find this in the UCI rules for trade teams though, "The nationality of the Trade Team shall be that held by the largest number of riders of a single nationality included in the registration request and approved by the UCI."

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Oct 2004

J-Mac is the man

I am one of J-Macs biggest fans. He definately deserves the spot on the Discovery team. He showed his strength in the mountains at the Tour de Georgia and again showed his strength at Redlands. Don't forget in Redlands he was battling cramps all day and had to get off his bike and make some repairs. Jason single handedly tore apart the field during the Snake Alley Criterium by being only a couple seconds from lapping second place. Jason is an unbelieveable rider. Also watched him ride at the USPro Criterium Championships while he just got back from the Olympics and every time his manager Jeff Corbett would tell him to go to the front by the next time around he was up front working for his teammates. Not only could Jason be a good rider as a domestiqe but also to work to get him a few victories. The man climbs like nobody else I have ever seen. Although Horner is a good rider I know Jason will adjust to his role. I believe Jason will be a better fit for the team.

Game on, b*tches!

Her's the list;

2005 DISCOVERY CHANNEL PRO CYCLING TEAM ROSTER
    Lance ARMSTRONG (USA)
    Jose AZEVEDO (POR)
    Michael BARRY (CAN)
    Manuel BELTRAN (ESP)
    Volodymyr BILEKA (UKR)
    Michael CREED (USA)
    Antonio CRUZ (USA)
    Tom DANIELSON (USA)
    Stijn DEVOLDER (BEL)
    Viatcheslav EKIMOV (RUS)
    Roger HAMMOND (GBR)
    George HINCAPIE (USA)
    Leif HOSTE (BEL)
    Benoit JOACHIM (LUX)
    Jason McCARTNEY (USA)
    Patrick McCARTY (USA)
    Gennady MIKHAYLOV (RUS)
    Benjamin NOVAL (ESP)
    Pavel PADRNOS (CZE)
    Yaroslav POPOVYCH (UKR)
    Hayden ROULSTON (NZL)
    Jose Luis RUBIERA (ESP)
    Paolo SAVOLDELLI (ITA)
    Jurgen VAN DEN BROECK (BEL)
    Max VAN HEESWIJK (BEL)
    Pretty impressive IMHO. Danielson? Savoldelli? Popovych? Pretty nice pick-ups.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

i like whiskey
    Roger Hammond? Wasn't he the British Champion last year or the year before? Not a bad pickup there either.

Now for the most important question, what does their kit look like?!

glutton for punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    Roger Hammond? Wasn't he the British Champion last year or the year before? Not a bad pickup there either.

He's been British Champ 2x - but who was his competition? uhh, Charly Wegelius? ok, that was uncalled for, but Hammond is a serious talent - 3rd at Paris Roubaix in 04, 6x UK cyclocross champ, and some good placings including 6th in 04 Ghent-Wevelgem. Plus, he's only been pro for seven years so he's releatively fresh. Between him and Leif Hoste(plus uber-helper Hincapie), Disco should have a shot at some of the spring Classics.

Now for the most important question, what does their kit look like?!
    if they had any balls, they'd do a picture of a TV with a sparkly disco ball on its screen.
    one can always dream...