Froome seriously injured- out of Dauphiné and TdF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Froome seriously injured- out of Dauphiné and TdF

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

What the what???
    That’s a shame to be taken out that way. Glad it wasn’t more serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    That’s a shame to be taken out that way. Glad it wasn’t more serious.

Yeah, it seemed like his form was just starting to come together too. That team is super deep, so they will be fine with Thomas and Bernal. Hopefully, he heals up and doesn’t have any long-term issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did enjoy rooting against him every year, he was never my favorite. But I never like to see a cyclist, pro or otherwise go down hard like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    I did enjoy rooting against him every year, he was never my favorite. But I never like to see a cyclist, pro or otherwise go down hard like that.
    I have the same feelings all around. Not a Froome/Wiggins/Sky/Ineos guy at all, but I do hope he ends up ok (Wiggins did make me laugh once is a while too though I guess).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also not at all a fan, but hate seeing anyone get hurt like this. Hope he's able to recover. However, this appears to be a difficult injury to fully recover from. It's likely his season is over. He also has a broken elbow and broken or fractured ribs. The leg injury is definitely the worst. If he's lucky there isn't any soft tissue damage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Broken Femur, Broken Elbow, and Broken Ribs.

Apparently he took his hands off the bars on his TT bike to blow his nose and a crosswind pushed him into a wall... on a recon ride.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...onfirms-426961

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, bummer. I hope he heals up and gets back to racing. Femur is a nasty injury.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a shame a poster who knows better would author such a descriptive spoiler for a title.

Sorry about Froome, terrible injury is an understatement.

EDIT- sorry, thought this happened during the race, not the case apparently. Leaving the post there for posterity in the age of edits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It sounds very serious, too bad he'll miss the tour. Now who else move up to on the #1 despized list?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    ... Now who else move up to on the #1 despized list?
    Lance needs a job; perhaps he can fill the spot until they find a current rider to take Froomie's place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely not a froomey fan but he was growing on me when he started attacking, hate to see anyone go out like that.
    Was he or Thomas going to be #1 or was Ineos taking the "wait and see who's stronger" approach?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Definitely not a froomey fan but he was growing on me when he started attacking, hate to see anyone go out like that.
    Was he or Thomas going to be #1 or was Ineos taking the "wait and see who's stronger" approach?
    I think their allegiance was to Froome as leader unless he wasn’t performing well. Now, it’s Thomas and Bernal and my gut says Bernal is going to shine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It seems we can add broken hip the list of injuries.

Here's the link for BBC podcast BeSpoke. The start of the interview with Brailsford is around the 10:45 mark. It doesn't sound good.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07cz91h

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely not a Froome fan, but in no way would I ever want him out of a race due to serious injuries. I can't imagine the pain he must have been in when he crashed into that wall and I hope he heals quickly.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Froome is awake after about 8 hours in the operating theatre. It will be a long way back for him but from what I’ve read it could have been worse.

Meanwhile .... I’m sure it is of little consolation to Froome but it looks like he could be declared the winner of the 2011 Vuelta. Cobo has been DQed for .... guess what ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chri...elta-a-espana/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Tour just got a whole more interesting now

What the what???
    Damn. Broken neck, cracked sternum and bruised lungs... all apparently from a gust of wind when his hands were off the bars.

The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Damn. Broken neck, cracked sternum and bruised lungs... all apparently from a gust of wind when his hands were off the bars.
    Broken neck? I hadn't seen that in any of the reports i read online.

Edit: wow, apparently this is a recent development.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...-hospital.html

They are saying six weeks in the Hospital. Definitely very serious...
    Last edited by Finx; 06-14-2019 at 10:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Oh dear, that is not good.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This list of serious injuries keep getting longer. Hope he's able to recover. With 6 weeks in the hospital he's got a very long road to recovery ahead of him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't worry. They pull another win with some other Brit who comes from out of nowhere.
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    This list of serious injuries keep getting longer. Hope he's able to recover. With 6 weeks in the hospital he's got a very long road to recovery ahead of him.
    Cyclists are prone to osteoporosis due to lack of weight bearing and cycling crashes are among the most brutal crashes in any sport.

No matter what your opinion of Froome as a pro cyclist, it is so good to see the empathy for him as an injured human being. Sure hope he has full recovery.

Makes you think how lucky and how good Lance was. Seriously not trying to troll as it is amazing to see how pro riders survive hi speed descending often in sketchy conditions. You gotta be good but you gotta be lucky too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Cyclists are prone to osteoporosis due to lack of weight bearing and cycling crashes are among the most brutal crashes in any sport.

No matter what your opinion of Froome as a pro cyclist, it is so good to see the empathy for him as an injured human being. Sure hope he has full recovery.

Makes you think how lucky and how good Lance was. Seriously not trying to troll as it is amazing to see how pro riders survive hi speed descending often in sketchy conditions. You gotta be good but you gotta be lucky too!
    That's what I always say when the inevitable Lance bashing subject comes up.
    But on a related note, first Froomey and now Thomas, to a thankfully much-lesser degree...Does this make Bernal #1 if Thomas can't start?
    Very interesting.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    That's what I always say when the inevitable Lance bashing subject comes up.
    But on a related note, first Froomey and now Thomas, to a thankfully much-lesser degree...Does this make Bernal #1 if Thomas can't start?
    Very interesting.
    Bernal and Poels will likely be top dawgs if Thomas can’t go, but it sounds like they think he will be able to. No comment on Lance. I have retired from discussing the topic. Just don’t see the point anymore.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/06/new...crashes_495240

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/6568/...uisse-crashLll
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 06-19-2019 at 08:53 PM.