Richard Carapaz (Ecu)
    Pavel Sivakov (Rus)
    Andrey Amador (CRC)
    Michał Kwiatkowski (Pol)
    Jonathan Castroviejo (Esp)
    Luke Rowe (GBr)
    Dylan van Baarle (Ned)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw Froome go off the back a couple of times during the Dauphine, so that coupled with his departure next season makes this not at all surprising. I know Thomas got spit out at least once as well, but I thought he was riding ok otherwise. Perhaps they're aligned and management is worried that they'll work for each other instead of Bernal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I saw Froome go off the back a couple of times during the Dauphine, so that coupled with his departure next season makes this not at all surprising. I know Thomas got spit out at least once as well, but I thought he was riding ok otherwise. Perhaps they're aligned and management is worried that they'll work for each other instead of Bernal?
    Can't blame Skyneos, those two didn't have the legs and were non-factors. I'm a fan of Kwiatowski and glad he's going but still hated the fact he joined sky, I knew he could've had a bigger impact if he were elsewhere, kind of like EBH.
    Hope Amador does well too.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    With the form Froome showed at the Dauphine I'm not at all surprised he's not on the Tour team. I'm not sure he'll have any real form by the time la Vuelta starts either. Thomas I thought was showing at least some signs of improving form. I do think by the Giro he could have decent form.

As Carapaz wasn't originally supposed to be going to the Tour and was supposed to be leading the Giro he likely is a bit off form at this point although seems to have better form than Thomas.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I'm a little surprised that Thomas got the boot, but Froome was terrible. Bernal wasn't exactly great either. Maybe his back will get better.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    In sports you have to put your best lineup out there so I can understand if they've got riders in better form than Froome and Thomas. I don't get not putting them in the race because they're not going to be on the team next year though. Eneos is paying them now, so they should perform to the best of their ability for the team they're under contract with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    In sports you have to put your best lineup out there so I can understand if they've got riders in better form than Froome and Thomas. I don't get not putting them in the race because they're not going to be on the team next year though. Eneos is paying them now, so they should perform to the best of their ability for the team they're under contract with.
    For the most part I do agree with you. However, if you have a case like Movistar did last year with Carapaz it's more understandable. In general I'm with you. Yes form is a whole different issue. Although this year it appears there are some riders who trained thinking they would be racing again this year and riders who were training believing there would not be more racing this year. Although some of the second group are gaining form at this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    this may be the best TdF in the last decade.
    GC is wide open
    Green jersey will also be hotly contested
    Stage hunters will also be hotly contested

Dumoulin must be thinking: "only if they would put in a couple ITT stages".
    Because if there were, he'd be favorite. Except for Dumoulin, all the GC guys heading to TdF 2020 are really non-TT'ers

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    this may be the best TdF in the last decade.
    GC is wide open
    Green jersey will also be hotly contested
    Stage hunters will also be hotly contested

Dumoulin must be thinking: "only if they would put in a couple ITT stages".
    Because if there were, he'd be favorite. Except for Dumoulin, all the GC guys heading to TdF 2020 are really non-TT'ers
    Are there no ITT's? I hadn't looked that closely but it seems like that'd be the safest way to race these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like even Roglic is not a sure thing to be on the starting line on Sunday, would that make Kuss #1 for Jumbo-Visma? Dude was pushing over 7 w/kg during the Dauphine, although I'm a Bernal fanboi, I'd root for Sepp.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    it looked like team Jumbo Visma was the only team that had been training at full throttle as if they knew the Tour was gonna happen.
    The rest of the other teams looked like they got caught out by waitint too late to start their training camp.

Jumbo Visma was training for July TdF that's for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member

One ITT: penultimate day.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    Are there no ITT's? I hadn't looked that closely but it seems like that'd be the safest way to race these days.
    One ITT: penultimate day.

I don't like the TT on the penultimate day. I don't know why they did this.

On the bright side, it is a heck of a course. All uphill. Would have been a Cancellara type deal, I think.