Giro - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giro

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I feel badly for Mathews. It sounds like he may had had a false positive.
    AIUI, Mathews first test, the positive, was a rapid test type. The second, the negative, was a PCR type test. None of this is easy and I feel very sorry for those affected - apart from the idiots, of course

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Add McNulty to the list of young Americans that are making some noise this year (along with Kuss and Powless).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcn...-giro-ditalia/
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    What is it with all the moto bikes, first they bring Cov to the Giro, now they are racing the riders?
    can't see what happened, .... blocked!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Not so much a Giro point but I like it better when Ineos lose their main GC rider. The attacking style in the Grio ( and the TdF) is good to watch

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Poor Gaviria is positive again. Just horrible. Pulling for him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gav...-giro-ditalia/

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also feel really badly for Gaviria. I hope he doesn't get a sick this time.
    Although as long as it isn't a false positive, I guess this proves you can get it more than once.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not much discussion, so this comment is 'for the record'.

I'm glad that the riders had the 'cohesion' (if that's what it was?) to influence a ProTour race over concerns for rider safety and health. Even if their issue fell short of an established policy - in this case, the Extreme Weather Protocol.

This time it was Stage 19. 258km in a cold rain, 3rd week, Covid positives during the race.

Without getting into the Rightness/Wrongness of the decision, or the timing of 'official communication', or Vegni's comment of "someone will pay" = i favor the riders having a stronger voice in safety issues. And i hope they succeed moving forward.

The veteran riders should offer vocal support for rider participation. Nibali, Valverde, Sagan, Froome, Thomas, Martin, Gilbert, etc, etc
    Lots of bikes - vintage steel w/ friction thru modern Ti and CF w/ brifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    Not much discussion, so this comment is 'for the record'.

I'm glad that the riders had the 'cohesion' (if that's what it was?) to influence a ProTour race over concerns for rider safety and health. Even if their issue fell short of an established policy - in this case, the Extreme Weather Protocol.

This time it was Stage 19. 258km in a cold rain, 3rd week, Covid positives during the race.

Without getting into the Rightness/Wrongness of the decision, or the timing of 'official communication', or Vegni's comment of "someone will pay" = i favor the riders having a stronger voice in safety issues. And i hope they succeed moving forward.

The veteran riders should offer vocal support for rider participation. Nibali, Valverde, Sagan, Froome, Thomas, Martin, Gilbert, etc, etc

If nothing else it shows the riders need a real union. I'm not asking for one like MLB has (which is an extremely strong union), heck doesn't even have to be as strong as the NFL's (which is one of the weaker sports unions), but they need a real one because the CPA isn't cutting it.

Nibali is at the Giro and more or less didn't really say anything about what he thought of the situation. That's basically the same response Valverde would have if you could even manage to get him to comment on it in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    A few observations

The UCI President, Lappartient, isnít at the Giro. I guess that it not being an ASO event means that he has little interest

The CPA President, Bugno, is at the Giro but not in his CPA capacity. He is there as a TV commentator

There is no clear indication over when the riders told the organisers about their concerns. Some say it was the night before, others say it was right before the scheduled start

Nobody seems to be taking responsibility among the riders apart from Hansen who says he was the person delegated to speak to the organisers

The original stage wasnít hard. It was wet but not particularly cold by the normal standards at this time of the year and not windy and everyone knew what to expect

Bora, Ineos and Bahrain wanted the original stage to go ahead

The 2 stages after the Stelvio were supposed to be hard. Now we have a club run and a much reduced mountain stage (due to weather) instead

All of this may change the outcome of the event. Kelderman in particular got a recovery day bonus

The riders do have genuine complaints about safety e.g. dangerous road furniture, dangerous sprint stage finishes but yesterdayís problems were minor IMO in comparison. There have been some terrible injuries due to bad course design this year.

The riders do need a strong union and the first thing they should do is get rid of Bugno

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    A few observations

The UCI President, Lappartient, isnít at the Giro. I guess that it not being an ASO event means that he has little interest

The CPA President, Bugno, is at the Giro but not in his CPA capacity. He is there as a TV commentator

There is no clear indication over when the riders told the organisers about their concerns. Some say it was the night before, others say it was right before the scheduled start

Nobody seems to be taking responsibility among the riders apart from Hansen who says he was the person delegated to speak to the organisers

The original stage wasnít hard. It was wet but not particularly cold by the normal standards at this time of the year and not windy and everyone knew what to expect

Bora, Ineos and Bahrain wanted the original stage to go ahead

The 2 stages after the Stelvio were supposed to be hard. Now we have a club run and a much reduced mountain stage (due to weather) instead

All of this may change the outcome of the event. Kelderman in particular got a recovery day bonus

The riders do have genuine complaints about safety e.g. dangerous road furniture, dangerous sprint stage finishes but yesterdayís problems were minor IMO in comparison. There have been some terrible injuries due to bad course design this year.

The riders do need a strong union and the first thing they should do is get rid of Bugno

To be fair, I don't think Lappartient is at la Vuelta either and that is an ASO event.

The riders definitely need a strong union like MLB, NBA, NHL, etc have. It's obvious the CPA is a joke.

For the issues in yesterday's stage, yes 3 teams wanted to race and it appears there were another 3 or 4 that basically just decided to support whatever the majority wanted to do and didn't really care one way or the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Poor Gaviria is positive again. Just horrible. Pulling for him.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gav...-giro-ditalia/
    Worried? Pulling? He never really got sick the first time and feels 100 percent now. These athletes are at super duper low risk compared to us old guy weekend warriors. This is more of a financial annoyance to the riders having their livelihoods and race schedules messed up.

-

as for the Giro - this is as dreamy a final weekend as the TDF was las month! A dead heat going into the final TT. And a young British guy poised to take a Grand Tour win too.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    -

And a young British guy poised to take a Grand Tour win too.
    or maybe an Australian. Itís not over until itís over

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Worried? Pulling? He never really got sick the first time and feels 100 percent now. These athletes are at super duper low risk compared to us old guy weekend warriors. This is more of a financial annoyance to the riders having their livelihoods and race schedules messed up.

-

as for the Giro - this is as dreamy a final weekend as the TDF was las month! A dead heat going into the final TT. And a young British guy poised to take a Grand Tour win too.
    Never said worried. Yes, pulling for him and everyone that gets this because it is still killing some people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    this Giro didn't excit me much. There weren't much big names attacking, and the attackes themselves were weak.

The ending was a little exciting due to the close times, but still, no exciting attacks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm pretty excited about the pool of young riders that have come along, should provide for years of good racing.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12