Giro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giro

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Giro

An unusual start to the Giro, with a short TT including a short KoM point and a relatively long downhill section. The winner reported to have hit around 100 Kph but he was using a 60 x 11 and averaged over 58 Kph for the TT course

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    An unusual start to the Giro, with a short TT including a short KoM point and a relatively long downhill section. The winner reported to have hit around 100 Kph but he was using a 60 x 11 and averaged over 58 Kph for the TT course
    Yes that was an interesting start. Technical descent, crosswinds, etc. I enjoyed the stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Meanwhile, Thomas rode up Mt Etna with a fractured pelvis. Probably not a good idea but gutsy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    With the injury, I hope Thomas is smart and ends his season now.

Nice stage win for Ganna. He wasn't near the top of my list of favorites for the stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    With Amstel and Roubaix cancelling, etc., I am starting to wonder whether they will even get to finish this race and have the Vuelta, Flanders, and other major races. It sounds like the virus spreading is heading in the wrong direction right as the traditional flu season kicks into high gear.

Arnaud Demare is killing it in the sprints by the way. Dude looks like he might dominate the flat stages the rest of the way. I am also interested in seeing just how long Almeida can hold on to the pink jersey. He hasn't wilted much thus far.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    With Amstel and Roubaix cancelling, etc., I am starting to wonder whether they will even get to finish this race and have the Vuelta, Flanders, and other major races. It sounds like the virus spreading is heading in the wrong direction right as the traditional flu season kicks into high gear.

Arnaud Demare is killing it in the sprints by the way. Dude looks like he might dominate the flat stages the rest of the way. I am also interested in seeing just how long Almeida can hold on to the pink jersey. He hasn't wilted much thus far.
    Different countries. They are still planning on both G-W and Flanders. Organizers in Spain are still planning on having la Vuelta, or at least some of the stages. There are some mountain stages that many Spaniards have always believed would be changed, shortened, or cancelled due to weather. Also we're just over 1 week from la Vuelta starting and the host area where it starts is fully preparing for it with minimal to no fans in start and finish areas and on the mountains with the Civil Guard to enforce it. Also like most teams need the Tour, the Spanish teams need la Vuelta plus the Spanish govt has gone to more regional restrictions based on where the virus is worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Different countries. They are still planning on both G-W and Flanders. Organizers in Spain are still planning on having la Vuelta, or at least some of the stages. There are some mountain stages that many Spaniards have always believed would be changed, shortened, or cancelled due to weather. Also we're just over 1 week from la Vuelta starting and the host area where it starts is fully preparing for it with minimal to no fans in start and finish areas and on the mountains with the Civil Guard to enforce it. Also like most teams need the Tour, the Spanish teams need la Vuelta plus the Spanish govt has gone to more regional restrictions based on where the virus is worse.
    I love the optimism, but my confidence in everything falling into place perfectly is 50/50. Unfortunately, this virus doesn't submit to human planning or needs. It's also everywhere at this point. Hoping for the best, but we'll see....

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the optimism, but my confidence in everything falling into place perfectly is 50/50. Unfortunately, this virus doesn't submit to human planning or needs. It's also everywhere at this point. Hoping for the best, but we'll see....
    We've had auto racing taking place without issues in many countries at this point. Granted a bit different, but NASCAR and Indy Car are going to finish their seasons. Remember G-W is taking place in 2 days on the 11th. No way it's getting cancelled at this point. Also the Belgium govt has already given special permission for Flanders and G-W to take place, even though they have put in place stricter restrictions. Spain has been doing restrictions based on number in each region. Also Paris-Tours is still racing this weekend. From what I've gathered Paris-Roubaix is being cancelled due to high Covid numbers in two areas it goes near which includes where it finishes.
    Last edited by KoroninK; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    We've had auto racing taking place without issues in many countries at this point. Granted a bit different, but NASCAR and Indy Car are going to finish their seasons. Remember G-W is taking place in 2 days on the 11th. No way it's getting cancelled at this point. Also the Belgium govt has already given special permission for Flanders and G-W to take place, even though they have put in place stricter restrictions. Spain has been doing restrictions based on number in each region. Also Paris-Tours is still racing this weekend. From what I've gathered Paris-Roubaix is being cancelled due to high Covid numbers in two areas it goes near which includes where it finishes.
    I am sorry to hear it, but Yates just tested positive and has been removed from the race. I donít know more than that yet. I am guessing some other MS riders and staff will follow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I am sorry to hear it, but Yates just tested positive and has been removed from the race. I donít know more than that yet. I am guessing some other MS riders and staff will follow.
    So far, the rest of the MS team and staff have tested negative. Maybe a radom heavy breathing idiot spectator. Who knows? Hope it is isolated

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    So far, the rest of the MS team and staff have tested negative. Maybe a radom heavy breathing idiot spectator. Who knows? Hope it is isolated
    Probably lol. Thatís good to hear it didnít hit the whole team though. The race director has confirmed that rising infection rates in Italy could complicate things. Hopefully, that doesnít happen.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/veg...-cancellation/

RoadBikeReview Member
    The more interesting thing is Italy didn't have an outdoor mask mandate until very recently. Spain has had one for awhile and theirs is enforceable with fines and possible jail time. I still see weather as a major issue for la Vuelta's mountain stages.

Also yes Yates was sent to the hospital/clinic with a Covid positive, but so far no one else has tested positive. Hopefully that holds.

Also the NFL doesn't seem interested in cancelling/postponing games due to a single positive. We'll see about what happens with KC this week as they have had 1 staff member test positive and there was one other team with a practice squad player test positive but everyone else negative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Big news in the Giro after the rest day. That will change things a bit

For those who want to hear it from John Doe first or have set their DVR so that they can watch it next week the details have been redacted

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Big news in the Giro after the rest day.
    Thanks for the discreet heads up.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Man, there are some serious issues this race is going to have to navigate to make it all the way. My goodness, not looking good right now.

Pack Fodder.
    Yeah the race is really devolving into a series of one-day races, as the prospect of it never reaching the original finish appearing a possibility and riders/teams looking to get any sort of result from what is left. Doesn't bode well for the Vuelta.

This whole season requires an asterisk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    Yeah the race is really devolving into a series of one-day races, as the prospect of it never reaching the original finish appearing a possibility and riders/teams looking to get any sort of result from what is left. Doesn't bode well for the Vuelta.

This whole season requires an asterisk.
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cor...h-no-tomorrow/

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not looking good for the Giro to finish.

I still think la Vuelta starts. La Vuelta just sent out basically a memo saying no fans at mountain top finishes, some mountains were already no fans. I also suspect that they will follow the Tour with hotels only having teams and members within the bubble, unlike the Giro is doing. La Vuelta is also asking fans to please stay home so we can put on the race and finish it.

off the back
    yeah, I'm pretty much resigned to this race not finishing.

Covid and bad luck have played hell with my fantasy team.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    It appears that the Giro organisation bears some of the responsibility for the COVID-19 spread to the teams. Maybe because of the rescheduling (maybe not) the teams have been sharing hotels and facilities, including buffets, with the (untested) public.

Because of the logistics involved in getting team busses and team catering facilities to Sicily, riders and staff used public transport and facilities for the transfers including flying alongside random members of the public.

There has been no effective bubble shielding in place unlike in the TdF.

In addition, the COVID-19-free declaration by all of the teams was simply logged but not checked even randomly by the UCI. It is a very difficult situation for them but they havenít made it any easier.

On the upside, there has been some of the best one-day type racing to watch but it isnít running like a proper 3 week GT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    EF has officially asked race organizers to cancel the remaining stages for rider and staff safety.

https://www.velonews.com/events/giro...-to-halt-race/

https://www.velonews.com/events/giro...-to-halt-race/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    There's this gem as well. What a mess....

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/17-g...o-feel-unsafe/

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Giro appears to be a disaster without a bubble of any kind. The bubble isn't fool proof, but has a better chance than what the Giro is doing. I agree it's possible the Giro doesn't finish.

The Vuelta may have a better chance of finishing, but with stages changed/cancelled due to weather. They appear to be going with more of a Tour type bubble and possibly more restrictions as they already have said no fans at mountain top finishes and it appears no fans on certain climbs at all and possibly not at some start lines. They have invested in advertising asking everyone to stay home and only watch if the race is basically going by your house or work place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Hope the Vuelta goes ahead. It is definitely better policed on the climbs than the other GTs so the intent and organisation is there

And spare a thought for Mathews. After his positive coronavirus test, he is now showing as negative following a different type of retest

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hope the Vuelta goes ahead. It is definitely better policed on the climbs than the other GTs so the intent and organisation is there

And spare a thought for Mathews. After his positive coronavirus test, he is now showing as negative following a different type of retest
    I feel badly for Mathews. It sounds like he may had had a false positive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast