Where's that GPS?

Giro d'Italia 2018 - Stage 12 - Spoilers Allowed

Name:  Giro Alt Logo.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  17.5 KB
    Giro d'Italia 2018

Stage 11 Re-cap:
    Our Maglia Rosa, Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott), has again proven he is a worthy potential Giro champion by taking yet another stage, this time in Osimo.

Chris Froome (Sky) was dropped during the winning move but Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) hung in there nicely to keep his hopes alive for another day. No doubt the day Dumoulin has uppermost in mind is the second ITT – but he has to get there with no further time loss to Yates. Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) and Domenico Pozzovivo (Bahrain-Merida) are still in it with a realistic shot if Yates or Dumoulin have a bad day, otherwise a battle for the third step on the podium is the best they can hope for. Rohan Dennis (BMC) could make up some time during that ITT as well – perhaps enough to make the podium in Rome. At 3:10 minutes behind Yates, Fabio Aru (UAE Team Emirates) can consider the rest of this years’ Giro a glorified training ride.

As a result of being dropped during the critical move today Froome lost an additional 40 seconds and is now, realistically, beyond hope of a podium position and much less a chance at the overall. His Giro, and the dream of a Giro-Tour double, are effectively over. Now we wait to see how long it will take for him to find a face-saving reason to withdraw.

Top-ten on the General Classification after Stage 11:
    1) Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott)
    2) Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) 0:00:47
    3) Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) 0:01:04
    4) Domenico Pozzovivo (Bahrain-Merida) 0:01:18
    5) Richard Carapaz (Movistar) 0:01:56
    6) George Bennett (LottoNL-Jumbo) 0:02:09
    7) Rohan Dennis (BMC) 0:02:36
    8) Pello Bilbao (Astana) 0:02:54
    9) Patrick Konrad (Bora-Hansgrohe) 0:02:55
    10) Fabio Aru (UAE Team Emirates) 0:03:10

Jersey Distribution after Stage 11:
    Maglia Rosa: Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott)
    Maglia Ciclamino: Elia Viviani (Quickstep)
    Maglia Azzurra: Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott)
    Maglia Bianca: Richard Carapaz (Movistar)

Stage 12: Osimo-Imola, 214 km
    Almost pancake flat, excepting a few glorified speedbumps, this route runs alongside the Adriatic for about half its course. Crosswinds, if present, could play a major role and upset the GC if one or more of the frontrunners gets caught in an unfortunate echelon.

A breakaway or two will try their luck and get some air-time for their sponsors, but the sprinter’s team will keep these in check and we should have gruppo compacto as the riders enter the 15.3km circuit of the Autodromo E. e D. Ferrari Racetrack. Otherwise a tame ride is to be expected until all hell breaks loose in Imola at the front in the final 100 meters or so.

Perhaps Dumoulin will go into ITT-mode and attempt to make up some time on the Maglia Rosa, but I doubt it. The Maglia Rosa will likely be on cruise-control today while the Maglia Ciclamino burns some rubber in an attempt to take yet another checkered flag.

Prediction: Elia Viviani (Quickstep) makes it 3 stage wins in this year’s Giro.

Stage 12 Profile:
    Giro d'Italia 2018 - Stage 12 - Spoilers Allowed-giro2018_stage-12-profile.jpg
    Stage 12 Map:
    Giro d'Italia 2018 - Stage 12 - Spoilers Allowed-giro2018_stage-12-map.jpg
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dennis is doing better than I expected in limiting his losses in the mountains so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Dennis is doing better than I expected in limiting his losses in the mountains so far.
    I remember selecting my riders for the Giro on Velogames and it was a tossup between Yates and Chavez and I remember thinking, "Yates?! What has that bum ever done for OGE, now Mitchelton Scott." Click! Chavez. Sigh.

Also remember not picking Rohan "Rohan?! What has that bum done since that strong TDF opener a few years back"

Interesting Grio thus far. It's been a busy month for me thus far and I haven't been as engaged as I'd like to be, but it's a good GT.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I remember selecting my riders for the Giro on Velogames and it was a tossup between Yates and Chavez and I remember thinking, "Yates?! What has that bum ever done for OGE, now Mitchelton Scott." Click! Chavez. Sigh.

Also remember not picking Rohan "Rohan?! What has that bum done since that strong TDF opener a few years back"

Interesting Grio thus far. It's been a busy month for me thus far and I haven't been as engaged as I'd like to be, but it's a good GT.
    I actually did take Yates. I was hoping for more from Sanchez though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Bennett absolutely blitzed that. A very emphatic win. Rubbish weather made the stage more interesting than expected.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Yes... the weather definitely made that stage more exciting than I thought it would be. I turned it on early and saw the profile and thought.. ehh, it'll be a boring spring stage, I'll turn it on with 30 minutes to go. I turned it back on and the weather was horrendous and the peloton was split into 3 groups, all a few seconds apart, getting ready to rip a small climb. Great win by Bennet for sure.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Bennett absolutely blitzed that. A very emphatic win. Rubbish weather made the stage more interesting than expected.
    Yes!

That acelleration kick by Bennett was fully nuking, looked like a street racer hitting the nitrous switch. Brilliant move, would love to see his power numbers for that effort.