Grade your TDF broadcast coverage
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Grade your TDF broadcast coverage

I'm watching via the NBC/ MapMyRide web package, usually live. I have to give props to the French TV crews- the shots from today's stage 11 were amazing! Especially the helo shots that panned across the slopes of the Madeline, and the moto following shots. I give them an A!

Down-side, I had bandwidth/buffer problems that made the feed a bit jumpy. But overall I give NBC a B for the web broadcast.

Phil & Paul are...tolerable. On the one hand, I think I heard Paul say that Vacansoleil riders were 'dropping like flies'', OTOH I've heard too much about so & so's mountain biking background. C+
    Halt! Do not post all threads in the General Forum. Please post in the correct specific forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Eurosport. Nothing else compares.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Tony View Post
    I'm watching via the NBC/ MapMyRide web package, usually live. I have to give props to the French TV crews- the shots from today's stage 11 were amazing! Especially the helo shots that panned across the slopes of the Madeline, and the moto following shots. I give them an A!

Down-side, I had bandwidth/buffer problems that made the feed a bit jumpy. But overall I give NBC a B for the web broadcast.

Phil & Paul are...tolerable. On the one hand, I think I heard Paul say that Vacansoleil riders were 'dropping like flies'', OTOH I've heard too much about so & so's mountain biking background. C+
    I give them a C-. Those two douches need to STFU, God they ramble on and on like a pair of drunks, please somebody tell them to just be quiet!!!!!! Seriously those two need to shut up. We're watching on regular TV.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 07-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    NBC Sports has been perfect to a T this year. Besides, after watching last years US Pro Cycling Challenge, you're not likely to catch me complaining about anything that is above that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I'll give NBC a B+. Phil and Paul can be weird at times, but they're still the best. Hummer should be alongside Bob though.

Sean Kelly sounds like he's got a mouthful of marbles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eurosport only for me. I'll watch it in Dutch or French before I put on NBC / Versus / OLN or whatever it is now.

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    Eurosport - fantastic.

What the Hell is going on
    I'm in America and watch the Tour via NBC web broadcast (can't say anything about Eurosport but I bet it's in some foreign language). I give it an A++. Big thumb ups for the On Demand option, for those times when I have to go to work. Another plus is you can watch all stage replays until the end of August.

I sort of miss the OLN/VS commercial broadcast at times. I like the informercials, rider profiles, stage analysis etc to break up some of the monotony of cycling. Let's face it watching guys riding bikes for 3 to 6 hours is kinda boring. I woke up early to watch the internet broadcast of the 2008 Beijing Olympic road race that had no commentators and the only sound came from the live mike from the cameraman on a motorbike. I fell asleep and missed Sammy Sanchez win.

As for the commentators . . . I've heard Sean Kelly and Dave Duffield commentating on other races and it was horrible. Sean Kelly is my all time favorite rider but his accent is so thick you need subtitles. I like Phil and Paul, mistakes and all. To me Phil and Paul means cycling.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Those two douches need to STFU, God they ramble on and on like a pair of drunks, please somebody tell them to just be quiet!!!!!! Seriously those two need to shut up. We're watching on regular TV.
    And you sir are a crude turd.
    My 1996 Miata is my other "road bike"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    NBC Sports coverage - B. Phil and Paul are decent but Phil seriously seems to be loosing it at times and yes the mountain biker = awesome decender comments are getting a bit much ( and I'm a mountain biker). Sorry but C Hummer is pretty weak and Liam McHugh while improving still is pretty obvious that he knows less than nothing about cycling. Bobke is actually doing pretty well and Scott Moninger while extremly dry is at least knowledgable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Don't forget that Phil and Paul are providing commentary all day long, not just to one broadcaster, but several at once. It's very demanding work to comment on a video feed you don't control, to get just a glimpse of a rider and have to identify them and work out that rider's situation. I still enjoy Phil and Paul, and hope to see them continue in the future. I'm watching the NBC package online, and have also had the most buffering problems today. I *LOVE* the fact there is no commercial interruptions - no stupid giant running wterbottles, id bracelets, cheap beers, etc. I don't know the Aussie who does the intro portion of the broadcast, but I like his delivery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I get to see the Tour live in the morning and have follow up shows if I want later in the day. Phil and Paul are a bit "Over the top" sometimes, but given the good picture feed, live coverage, etc. I can live with it.

B+ overall, just because they could do a bit better with announcing during live coverage, and could probably do a bit more with technology and back stories during the night broadcasts.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

+1 on the no commercials for NBC online.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharknose View Post
    I *LOVE* the fact there is no commercial interruptions - no stupid giant running wterbottles, id bracelets, cheap beers, etc.
    I kinda of just expect Phil and Paul to repeat themselves now. There's only so many things to say about a race and sooooo much time...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    In yesterday's race Paul Sherwin commented "we'll be talking about [Sagan] for many years to come". Phil replied 'well, maybe you'll be talking about him', and then began to comment on next year's 100th anniversary of the Tour. I think Phil Liggett is looking to next year's Tour as his last.
    Halt! Do not post all threads in the General Forum. Please post in the correct specific forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    NBC/ MapMyRide web package here too. It has worked with out a problem with my new computer. Every stage has been in HD.

As for Phil & Paul. All I can say is I really wish they would give the guy that starts the coverage more time. I like the way he commentates. He never sounds like hes ranting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I'm streaming the MMR/NBC site, but I can't get HD. I can stream Netflix, Hulu, Roku, Amazon, local news in HD fine, but not the Tour. Kind of sucks... I like not having commercials though. I watched the live play on cable at my LBS once, but won't ever again, due to all the lame commercials.

Paul Sherwin likes young men...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I think this year's TV Broadcast coverage is the best so far. They have had fewer lost picture episodes, the camera work is getting better each year and the nightly re-hash coverage is interesting...especially if I can forego trying to watch and listen to the Eurosport online broadcast in my early morning hours.

Now some rhetorical questions...not whining, not complaining...simple observations..

The new "Mr Announcer" guy....I wonder if he writes his own stuff? He puts out some really contrived sounding introductory sentences. Overall, he's certainly better than Hummer and Gummer ever were. He has a very cultivated voice, too. He worked on that, big time.

Bob Roll: He seems to have found a great gig for himself. He's ridden his 'Stupid Dufus' persona right to the bank. I like how he comes out with these patently over the top word-compositions and then sticks his buck teeth out as he grins all silly at his fellow commentators. He also really seems to be able to communicate a lot of knowledge about the sport and the race without seeming full of himself.

Phil and Paul..Their rap does get a bit stale sometimes and some of their favorite phrases...the suitcase of courage...right the way...mountain biking backround/good descender... I think they're doing a good job.
    Sean Kelly on Eurosport...his droning delivery is boring to the max. He maybe says knowledgable things, but I seem to tune him out and never actually listen hard enough (if I leave the sound on) to hear his words when I can understand him through the brogue. He can make an exciting stage into a boring one.
    I enjoy the scenic camera work and the historic bits about the countryside the race is passing through. After a few minutes of watching the Peloton soft-pedal (for them) their way through an agreed-upon informal rest stage, with maybe a sprint at the end....I lose interest in the stage...but the overhead shots of the cliffs and mountains, the rivers, etc and the historical facts are interesting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bikie View Post
    And you sir are a crude turd.
    Thank you. LOL, I'm sooo sorry I didn't suck up to the announcers simply because they are former cyclists...I'll be sure to be more politically correct next time. Sorry but I call them as they are.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 07-17-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Full Fledged Member
    I usually watch it on Eurosport. Once in a while I catch it on NBC but I go back to Eurosport. I like Eurosport better. I also like their coverage of the Giro.
    1.21 Gigawatts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Too many commercials at the beginning and middle. I like the commercial free toward the end. They should try installing lightweight cameras on different riders and different locations of the bikes so that viewer can get a multiple views and with the cameras on the riders and bikes, the viewer can see the crashes as they happen. Also mph,cadence, and gear indicator per each rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Phil and Paul are the bomb! Their announcing is soothing yet interesting considering they have to come up with something to say day in and day out. I like how they play off each other and yes, being merely human (unlike some of the perfect doofuses on here) correct each other when warranted. That's team work.
    I would like to see some of the naysayers here take a shot at what Phil and Paul do. I bet it isn't nearly as easy as they make it look.
    The camera work is simply great, especially now that I can finally watch in hi-def. The French just keep on improving their Tour camera work and technology.
    If I have any concerns it's with NBC taking over Versus and what NBC will probably do with the tour. I see it going away as I'm not so sure the folks at NBC 'get it' as far as pro bike racing goes. Without balls to throw, dribble or kick I'm afraid they won't consider bike racing a real sport. I surely hope the huge number of commercials they run during the coverage at least pacifies the bean counters over at NBC.