Hondo On Fire, Sprinters Looking Strong Early

Oct 2004

Hondo On Fire, Sprinters Looking Strong Early

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?...ia05/murcia052

2 wins in 2 days. It looks like all the sprinters(George, Petacchi, Robbie and Hondo) are all on fire this year. Does anyone know when their first official show down will be? I hope I do not have to wait until the tour. In which case, George will have to protect Lance.
    "The main thing is to not cut yourself and bleed to death in the tub." -- Frankie Andreu (Retired USPS Racer) on leg shaving advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by technocycle
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?...ia05/murcia052

2 wins in 2 days. It looks like all the sprinters(George, Petacchi, Robbie and Hondo) are all on fire this year. Does anyone know when their first official show down will be? I hope I do not have to wait until the tour. In which case, George will have to protect Lance.
    I think Hondo has ridden some respectable time trials in the past, but clearly he is on super form.

As for George, I don't think there is any sense of the word "sprinter" that can apply to Hincapie. I don't think he's ever won a European bunch sprint, certainly not in the last 5 years or so. Van Heeswijk might be able to give the top sprinters a run for their money. Boonen has really emerged as a top sprinter along side McEwen and Petacchi.

Jun 2004

George and Sprinting...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry
    I think Hondo has ridden some respectable time trials in the past, but clearly he is on super form.

As for George, I don't think there is any sense of the word "sprinter" that can apply to Hincapie. I don't think he's ever won a European bunch sprint, certainly not in the last 5 years or so. Van Heeswijk might be able to give the top sprinters a run for their money. Boonen has really emerged as a top sprinter along side McEwen and Petacchi.
    George out of a small group has a chance, but you're right, bunch sprints (ie, more than say 5-10 guys), he's going to come up real short on that one. I love the guy, but even he has admitted that he's lost some zip in the sprint to become stronger overall. Max on the other hand, he can sprint with the top names in the sprinting game.

Glad to see Hondo winning. He's gotten out from underneath Zabel, and now can ride for himself in the mass sprints. This is good. No knock against Zabel, another one of my favorites of all time, but he ruled the roost at Telekom. Hondo didn't have many chances to sprint for wins. Probably a good move for him to go to Gerolsteiner.