If the peloton had no reason . . .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jul 2004

If the peloton had no reason . . .

Today, Phil pointed out that the peloton "had no reason" to reel in Heinrich Hausler (the breakaway rider). Now, it seems to be that a fair rephrasing of "has no reason" is "doesn't care."

If the peloton doesn't care if some guy who is 55 minutes back wins todays stage, why should I?

I've started to collect broadcast gems that demonstrate how uninteresting this tour has been.

One exampe: Today Phil spent several minutes discussing the fact that Fellieu (?) had almost launched a big attack. Well, "almost" launching an attack is not launching one. So, I'm supposed to fascinated by the analysis that this possible GC contender didn't do something?

Phil also described a bike change as "brilliant." That's right. The fact that a professional bicyclist, who was in radio communication with a team car carrying a spare bicycle, was able to get off of one bicyle and (assisted by a professional mechanic) get on another one, was "brilliant."

RoadBikeReview Member
    sounds like its time to get out and ride the bike rather than watching it
    Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat. Quote: justinb

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    If I was that bored with something, I'd just avoid it. Spending hours watching something just to collect proof that it's boring sounds kinda sad to me.
    Last edited by LWP; 07-17-2009 at 07:59 AM.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

n00bsauce
    Newsflash. The last week has been boring, just as predicted. The first week was very interesting, not predicted. The next week should be very interesting, my prediction.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yea the only people worth watching and caring about are Cavendish and Lance and Contador

Gawd people.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I kinda enjoyed todays stage. I was really pulling for Hausler and was fearing he may crack any minute now. But he held on solo for quite a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP
    If I was that bored with something, I'd just avoid it. Spending hours watching something just to collect proof that it's boring sounds kinda sad to me.
    way to lay the smackdown on the op. you got served!
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Specialized Roubaix Disc / Look 585 / Look 555 / Kona Kapu / Spec Carbon Camber 29er 1x11 / Surly Straggler / Fuji CX / Steel SS

Over 60 bikes owned over the last 20 years!

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by iamnotfilip
    I kinda enjoyed todays stage. I was really pulling for Hausler and was fearing he may crack any minute now. But he held on solo for quite a while.
    He's a mutli talented rider. Not the pure sprinter that Cavendish is and not the pure classics man of the Tom Boonen variety.
    IMO if he stays on form we could see him winning a few of the major classics races in the future.
    I also heard somewhere that this possible new pro tour team "Team Sky" has will snatch up pretty soon. Too bad since Cervelo Test Team has done pretty well this season.
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Yea the only people worth watching and caring about are Cavendish and Lance and Contador

Gawd people.
    All the others are very specialized and only those with a deep understanding of pro racing can really appreciate them. Most of us watch to see a race and we are seeing a tactical ride across France instead. Oh, they'll race at the end and the long ride will play a role but to most it appears they could go straight to the Ventoux stage and skip the bother in between and nothing would be amiss. The only reason to watch all this tedium is the off chance that a contender will get himself in a bind and effect his opportunity ala Levi.

I like the sprints, they fill the void between the start and the actual race, wherever that is taking place and long breakaways that succeed make that anticlimactic. Interesting stories and great experience for individual riders that have absolutely nothing to do with the race itself. Being an announcer in this Tour must be as difficult as being a weatherman, cut the guys some slack.

la dolce vita
    My my my someone is bitter.
    insert witty comment here

Resident Dutchbag
    Wait until spring and watch the classics, no time for boredom there.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    Wait until spring and watch the classics, no time for boredom there.
    Stop that.....HATER!
    FlexiSexual

the fist
    srsly didn't teams used to try and attack the race leader, instead of just waiting until the >insert "epic" stage here<

maybe i have selective memory syndrome?brought on by the WANT to believe the tour is amazing this year
    FlexiSexual

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry
    srsly didn't teams used to try and attack the race leader, instead of just waiting until the >insert "epic" stage here<
    We have a peloton of wheelsuckers this year.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

the fist
    I feel like the tour got divided by zero.
    FlexiSexual

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie
    My my my someone is bitter.
    Huh? Was that really directed at my post?
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

n00bsauce

maybe i have selective memory syndrome?brought on by the WANT to believe the tour is amazing this year
    Lot's of things affect how interesting a particular Tour is in any given year. Not the least of which is how each stage is constructed and how all the stages are put together. Many of this years stages were strangely constructed and the stages were put together in a way that lent itself to some uninteresting racing. Combine that with an uber dominant sprinter/sprint team (at least in the flat sprint stages) and the two biggest GC contenders being on the same team and voila, you've got this years cake. Just think how different it could/would be if Contador and Armstrong were on competing teams instead of the same team. Sure, this week would have been similar but the first week would have been even more interesting than it was and next week could be even more interesting. And yes, you've got selective memory.

Oh, I forgot, blame Armstrong.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Resident Dutchbag
    Stop that.....HATER!
    Oh right, I forgot to mention the Tour of Mizzurah.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    Oh right, I forgot to mention the Tour of Mizzurah.
    RESPECT.
    FlexiSexual

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson

Oh, I forgot, blame Armstrong.
    I do. I just finished a "blame storm" session.
    FlexiSexual

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP
    Ah, but hope springs eternal.

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit
    Being an announcer in this Tour must be as difficult as being a weatherman, cut the guys some slack.
    Actually, I do kind of feel sorry for Phil and Paul. I know it's their job to make the broadcast sound interesting and it must be pretty difficult to do this year. But, still, a "brilliant" bike change? I've gotta believe that, right after he said that, Phil mentally slapped his forehead and thought to himself "WTF am I saying?"

Phil sometimes seems to feel that he has to fill up the time with words, no matter what they are. He would benefit from slowing down, letting some silence in, and thinking before he talks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Oh my god. Seriously?
    If you were Cadel would you bust your ass in the hopes that you MIGHT get ten seconds leading over the top of the climb, only to be pulled back in the long downhill to the finish. Sounds like a big waste of energy to me.

And not everyone can just attack up a climb. If it didn't work, than you are done and you lose your GC position. No one's going to risk that just to make it more "interesting."

In the grand scheme of things, this week hasn't been that interesting. But each stage day by day has been really great. Lots of good breakaways, the tactics in the bunch about columbia and other teams trying to bluff their way out of pulling it back, the green jersey duel between cav and thor which has seen the cervelo rider getting in breaks in the mountains,

Wow I can think of like ten really interesting things that have been going on.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by obfg
    Actually, I do kind of feel sorry for Phil and Paul. I know it's their job to make the broadcast sound interesting and it must be pretty difficult to do this year. But, still, a "brilliant" bike change? I've gotta believe that, right after he said that, Phil mentally slapped his forehead and thought to himself "WTF am I saying?"

In normal British usage, "brilliant" means "excellent" or "darn good". So they weren't calling the bike change highly intelligent and something that required genius to do, but rather that it was slickly done.

Bike changes gone wrong can really mess things up, and getting one done without a hitch is not a simple thing.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by obfg
    Today, Phil pointed out that the peloton "had no reason" to reel in Heinrich Hausler (the breakaway rider). Now, it seems to be that a fair rephrasing of "has no reason" is "doesn't care."

If the peloton doesn't care if some guy who is 55 minutes back wins todays stage, why should I?

I've started to collect broadcast gems that demonstrate how uninteresting this tour has been.

One exampe: Today Phil spent several minutes discussing the fact that Fellieu (?) had almost launched a big attack. Well, "almost" launching an attack is not launching one. So, I'm supposed to fascinated by the analysis that this possible GC contender didn't do something?

Phil also described a bike change as "brilliant." That's right. The fact that a professional bicyclist, who was in radio communication with a team car carrying a spare bicycle, was able to get off of one bicyle and (assisted by a professional mechanic) get on another one, was "brilliant."
    I love how people don't follow pro cycling for 11 months and a week, tune in for the tour and then b!tch when people they don't care about win. Read up on Hausler and Chavanel, they had incredible springs and it was good to see them keep it up.

PS, of course the peleton wasn't going to chase. No one likes chasing after two weeks and no one likes racing in the rain. Combine those two and the breakaway was always going to succeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast