La Vuelta thread -- spoilers allowed once the race starts - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Soler is originally from Catalonia province, but lives in Andorra.

Alejandro was trying to put time into Lopez and Roglic and once Rolgic caught him Roglic ended up doing more of the work. You could also see at the finish line that Alejandro was on his limit as he didn't sprint for the bonus seconds.

Some Spanish speakers have said aside from the display we saw from Soler he told the team car he'd wait for Valverde but wanted no part of helping Quintana. So he basically did a token/required pull then pulled off. However, with that said he did follow team orders even if he wasn't happy.

I think Movistar just proved why teams do not send riders who are leaving the team to big races after July.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Looks like Valverde is back to top dog in Movistar after Quintana’s loss of over 3 minute to Roglic in the TT. Valverde now just under 2 minutes behind Roglic on GC and Lopez, who was caught by Roglic, is just over 2 minutes down.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Some Spanish speakers have said aside from the display we saw from Soler he told the team car he'd wait for Valverde but wanted no part of helping Quintana. So he basically did a token/required pull then pulled off. However, with that said he did follow team orders even if he wasn't happy.
    I think if Soler did this while on a team like Ineos (for example) he would be hitch-hiking home right now. Like it or not, a rider must follow Team orders.

I think Movistar just proved why teams do not send riders who are leaving the team to big races after July.
    I think the main reason is to limit the rider's buying power.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I think if Soler did this while on a team like Ineos (for example) he would be hitch-hiking home right now. Like it or not, a rider must follow Team orders.

I think the main reason is to limit the rider's buying power.
    Except that Soler DID follow team orders, he just showed he wasn't happy about it. He didn't openly defy team orders like Landa has defied team orders when he was both at Astana AND at Sky.

Nope, most of the time the rider has already signed with another team.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Except that Soler DID follow team orders, he just showed he wasn't happy about it. He didn't openly defy team orders like Landa has defied team orders when he was both at Astana AND at Sky.
    Well, if openly causing a fuss on camera, giving Quintana a short "token" assistance and then dropping back to be with Valverde isn't defying team orders is ok I guess your definition of defiance is different than mine.
    Last edited by ngl; 1 Week Ago at 05:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Just read that Movistar are sending both Carapaz and Landa to the Tour of Britain. Maybe two domestiques will protest at having to support them.

It isn’t a major race but can be surprisingly demanding even when it isn’t raining.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow! I saw a 26% pitch for a few seconds today...Crazy climb.
    When Quintana accelerated I thought, and hoped to be honest, that he had something but somehow Valverde managed to out-climb many pure climbers.
    Is it too late to change my podium picks to Roglic, Pogacar, Lopez?
    Pretty weird to not see anyone from Skyneos in the Top 25 in GC.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Just read that Movistar are sending both Carapaz and Landa to the Tour of Britain. Maybe two domestiques will protest at having to support them.

It isn’t a major race but can be surprisingly demanding even when it isn’t raining.
    Somehow Carapaz had Visa issues and couldn't get to the Tour of Britain. Landa and Amador are apparently co-leaders there. However, at least half the team sent to that race isn't returning to Movistar next season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Yes, just read that Carapaz can’t make it. Presumably Ineos will sort this out next year. I saw a recording of stage 1 of the ToB and it wasn’t raining!

Meanwhile back in the Vuelta, yesterday was a lucky escape for the GC leaders. I would hate a pile up to affect the outcome of the race

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad the GC leaders got way without many issues. Pogacar and Valverde both went down with just minor bruises and scrapes.

Today, according to several people, when Soler was called back by the team car to help Valverde, he was first asked if he could win the stage and when he responded no he was asked if he would then drop back to help Valverde.

Obviously things can change, but so far Valverde and Roglic appear to be the strongest and the race is for the final podium spot.

One other side note, the media covering la Vuelta has started calling Valverde "Grandpa".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another day, another maiden GT stage win from the break, great racing from Kuss and Fugslang.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Chapeau, Fuglsang.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    One thing is for sure, it's going to be an exciting last few days.

One has to ask themselves:
    - Did they leave enough in the gas tank for the last couple of climbs?
    - Will anyone crash and burn?
    - Will an alliance be formed?
    - Will any previous bad deeds go unpunished?
    Last edited by ngl; 4 Days Ago at 08:27 AM.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Great tactics from Movistar again today, or, was it just Quintana and company putting the screws to Valverde and company for earlier bad deeds? Maybe we'll find out during tomorrow's stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Very fast stage. Gilbert said he was using a 54 x 11 and was spinning out on the flat. The breakaway were hitting 75kph at times (on the flat). What could have turned out to be a fairly boring stage became a bit of a memorable one.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'll admit I thought this would be another boring parade sprint stage. 50kph average over 220kms...with speeds touching 80kph on flattish bits (the racers were legally speeding on many of those roads). Eurosport had to dump the posted schedule to start covering early, even.

Hell for leather.

Well done Gilbert.

Great tactics from Movistar again today, or, was it just Quintana and company putting the screws to Valverde and company for earlier bad deeds? Maybe we'll find out during tomorrow's stage.
    Great tactics from Movistar, who was attacking their own (probably soon to be ex-)leader? Yes, Quintana held on just barely to the break and gained buckets of time on the GC--but that was only shear dumb luck rather than intent....Movistar were driving things on like maniacs and Quintana was alone at the back of that break.

For a team that claims that Quintana is their leader and that things are hunky-dory, they aren't showing it
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Pulling the red jersey to attack your own guy. I'm officially done with Moviestar. Will never root for any one of them again. What a pissy team attitude. Sure one could argue that Quintana will be leaving Moviestar, but them Spaniards show the world they're pretty petty

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Pulling the red jersey to attack your own guy. I'm officially done with Moviestar. Will never root for any one of them again. What a pissy team attitude. Sure one could argue that Quintana will be leaving Moviestar, but them Spaniards show the world they're pretty petty
    Were you watching the NBCSN coverage with Matthew Keenan doing the commentating? They were speculating that Moviestar chased to shred Roglic's teammates out the back; to isolate Roglic and waste his team for tomorrow's stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Carapaz is out due to an injury at an international criterium. Valverde has said that he is riding for Quintana.
    That statement from Valverde did not age well
    Blows your hair back.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Were you watching the NBCSN coverage with Matthew Keenan doing the commentating? They were speculating that Moviestar chased to shred Roglic's teammates out the back; to isolate Roglic and waste his team for tomorrow's stage.
    But Roglic's teammates just had to join the gruppetto and avoid the cut-off once they were shredded out the back then save their legs for Thursday. They are now a lot fresher for Stage 18 rather than the two camps in Movistar who worked hard in both groups during Stage 17 wouldn't you say?

Sure they isolated Roglic, but so what? Roglic just had to sit on Valverde's wheel for the remainder of the stage and two things are pretty certain: Valverde is not strong enough to drop Roglic on the flats and Valverde is NOT going to lose out to Quintana.

I can't wait to see what Movistar's tactics will be for Stage 18. Quintana and Valverde will be fighting each other for domination while Pogacar and Lopez will wait for an opportunity to win podium spots.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But Roglic's teammates just had to join the gruppetto and avoid the cut-off once they were shredded out the back then save their legs for Thursday. They are now a lot fresher for Stage 18 rather than the two camps in Movistar who worked hard in both groups during Stage 17 wouldn't you say?

Sure they isolated Roglic, but so what? Roglic just had to sit on Valverde's wheel for the remainder of the stage and two things are pretty certain: Valverde is not strong enough to drop Roglic on the flats and Valverde is NOT going to lose out to Quintana.

I can't wait to see what Movistar's tactics will be for Stage 18. Quintana and Valverde will be fighting each other for domination while Pogacar and Lopez will wait for an opportunity to win podium spots.
    Last week Quintana said he was relinquishing leadership to Valverde. Quintana did get into the break, with DQS (I suspect DQS actually planned out what they did yesterday). From what many are saying Movistar went to the front to try to isolate Roglic and they did do that. However, Astana was still there and were more than happy to keep pulling to protect Lopez's hopes of a podium.
    One more thing to consider, at this point in la Vuelta, Valverde has a shot at the podium and if he gets it it's a record. Movistar will do what they can to protect his podium and thus a piece of history.
    One more thing, Quintana is showing he's learned how to race in crosswinds, yet it appears it's at the cost of his climbing. Today he lost time in the mountains yet again.
    Also remember one other thing. Quintana was the one saying he was sole leader of la Vuelta. Mr Unzue stated that Valverde was free to race for GC, stages or whatever he wished and was not there to help Quintana.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    From what many are saying Movistar went to the front to try to isolate Roglic and they did do that.
    And many others are saying Valverde and company went to the front to chase down Quintana (and protect Valverde's interests) and they certainly did do that. But here is a question for you. What good does it do for Movistar to isolate Roglic if they can't (and didn't) drop him???? As I said before all Roglic has to do (and he did do it) is to sit on Valverde's wheel.

Movistar will do what they can to protect his podium and thus a piece of history.
    Bingo. You just answered my question, and unbelievably, Movistar screwed over Quintana to do it.

Mr Unzue stated that Valverde was free to race for GC, stages or whatever he wished and was not there to help Quintana.
    Unzue probably did say that. But like most everyone is saying all over the internet; it's a shitty thing to do to drag the red jersey up to your team mate who otherwise may be sitting in red at the end of the stage even if it's only for a short time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I see Movistar have been at it again - attacking rivals when they have been caught in a crash. Valverde received some direct feedback from the other riders and performed his best sprint of the event when he ran away from the press after the stage. They’ve issued a sort of apology but I don’t think anyone is impressed - or surprised. They’ve done this before and lied about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    However, it was Astana who did the vast majority of the work to reduce or hold the time gap. So there's that.

As for why they wanted to drop Roglic's teammate, that's a better question than why did they go to the front, which was to drop them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    This article https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mov...-roglic-crash/ details the peloton’s view. Movistar haven’t made too many friends as a result of this.
    Last edited by coldash; 1 Day Ago at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast