• 08-19-2019
    KoroninK
    La Vuelta thread -- spoilers allowed once the race starts
    Many of the teams have released their line-ups for la Vuelta now.

    Movistar is sending 3 leaders. La Vuelta has chosen to honor Valverde by giving him the #1 for the race.
  • 08-20-2019
    El Scorcho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Movistar is sending 3 leaders. La Vuelta has chosen to honor Valverde by giving him the #1 for the race.

    If you send 3 then you really don't have 1.
  • 08-20-2019
    KoroninK
    I think they should have gone with Valverde and Carapaz and left Quintana off the Vuelta team.
  • 08-21-2019
    il sogno
    Primoz Roglic is riding. I wonder if he'll be team leader.
  • 08-21-2019
    azpeterb
    I'll be rooting for Fuglsang. He was having a great season until a disappointing TDF. We'll see if he returns to form in La Vuelta.
  • 08-24-2019
    ogre
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Movistar is sending 3 leaders. La Vuelta has chosen to honor Valverde by giving him the #1 for the race.

    Carapaz is out due to an injury at an international criterium. Valverde has said that he is riding for Quintana.
  • 08-24-2019
    KoroninK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Carapaz is out due to an injury at an international criterium. Valverde has said that he is riding for Quintana.

    Valverde has said before and still ended up riding for GC himself because, as the team even said, he can't bring himself to not race for GC. Also with Carapaz out, it's highly likely the team is asking him to ride for GC anyway.
  • 08-29-2019
    KoroninK
    Apparently a big crash today before televised coverage started with many riders going down and 4: Uran, Carthy, de la Parte, and Roche having to abandon.
  • 08-29-2019
    Marc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Apparently a big crash today before televised coverage started with many riders going down and 4: Uran, Carthy, de la Parte, and Roche having to abandon.

    And TJ just rode of the road late in the stage...something in the water at Team EF? They need Remedial Bike Handling?
  • 08-29-2019
    coldash
    The first EF and others crash was on a fast downhill bend. A J-V rider lost his front wheel on some water on the road (again!) and those behind had nowhere to go. Just luck as to whether a rider fell, survived, broke a bone, grazed skin etc.

    TJís was a lack of judgment. He ran out of road on a bend but it was a very hard stage and he was probably cooked.

    Otherwise a bit of an odd stage. Nobody seems to want to defend or contend for the Red jersey amongst the leading teams e.g. Astana and Movistar. Having seen what is still to come, I guess they are keeping something back.
  • 08-30-2019
    KoroninK
    Tejay abandons today due to injuries from the crash yesterday.

    Valverde gets his stage win in his beloved Vuelta in the rainbow jersey.
  • 08-31-2019
    coldash
    Another stage where the Red jersey wasnít defended. Canít say I blame them. The conditions towards the end were poor and tomorrowís stage is short but with lots of metres to climb.

    Good for Sunweb to get a stage win and for Cofidis to get the Red, although I suspect that will only be for one day.
  • 08-31-2019
    KoroninK
    It seems no one really wants the leader's jersey. Can't say I blame them either. Attempting to defend it today with the rain just wasn't going to happen, esp considered the insane stage tomorrow in Andorra (again). They appear to like insane climbing stages in Andorra. Then the ITT is the day after the rest day, so two very important stages back to back with a rest day in between. An ITT off a rest day likely means someone is going to have an off day.


    One interesting thing from Valverde's stage win. The stage 7 win for Valverde comes 16 years after his first Vuelta stage win which sets the all time record for more years between first and last (or most recent) stage wins in any Grand Tour. The record in both the Giro and Tour is 15 year difference.

    One other interesting note is that at least for a few days we have both the oldest and youngest riders in la Vuelta in the top 10 of the overall GC.
  • 09-01-2019
    troutmd
    VIA Vuelta: A ITT following a mountain stage, hence bike racing not faux, made for TV entertainment.
  • 09-01-2019
    Marc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    VIA Vuelta: A ITT following a mountain stage, hence bike racing not faux, made for TV entertainment.

    Race going to pass near you, for live viewing?
  • 09-01-2019
    KoroninK
    In this Vuelta we now have both the oldest rider (Valverde) and youngest rider (Pogacar) having won stages. Pogacar is 18 and a half years younger than Valverde.
    I'm hoping Alejandro doesn't end up sick from the cold and rain. He hates cold and suffers from it. He was shivering after both yesterday and today's stages. Today he was at the media area briefly giving 1 and 2 word answers for a short time before calling an end to it telling them he was frozen and going back to the team bus. One of the reporters said he wasn't surprised as Valverde was wrapped up in cold weather cycling gear and was visibly shivering.
    https://www.sports-addict.net/es/art...62LtCski_xm8SY
  • 09-02-2019
    rufus
    Moviestar is one dysfunctional team.
  • 09-02-2019
    KoroninK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Moviestar is one dysfunctional team.

    It seems next year, we'll find out how much of that dysfunction was issues with Quintana vs other issues.
  • 09-02-2019
    coldash
    I appreciate that team orders should be followed but Iíve a bit of sympathy for Soler on stage 9. He was in with a very good chance of a stage win (home GT) and Quintana would have still got the Red, IMO, so it would have been a double success for Movistar As it turned out, I donít think Soler did much to pace Quintana when they joined up. Maybe he was still mad, who knows..... the ways of team Movistar are indeed mysterious
  • 09-02-2019
    El Scorcho
    By far the most baffling Movistar move was when my man Alejandro attacked while two of his guys were up the road, effectively dragging Roglic along with him. Valverde is too smart for that, I read it as an intentional FU to Quintana.
  • 09-02-2019
    rufus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    I appreciate that team orders should be followed but Iíve a bit of sympathy for Soler on stage 9. He was in with a very good chance of a stage win (home GT) and Quintana would have still got the Red, IMO, so it would have been a double success for Movistar As it turned out, I donít think Soler did much to pace Quintana when they joined up. Maybe he was still mad, who knows..... the ways of team Movistar are indeed mysterious

    If I remember the graphic correctly, I believe Soler was one of the three riders in the race who were local to that area, as well.

    Would have been nice to get a stage win in your home region.
  • 09-02-2019
    flying
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If I remember the graphic correctly, I believe Soler was one of the three riders in the race who were local to that area, as well.

    Would have been nice to get a stage win in your home region.

    Yes that is his region & I am sure he would have loved that to be his first GT Stage win.
  • 09-02-2019
    ngl
    I don't see how Soler could have won the race if he couldn't even stay with Quintana when he was called back to help.

    In addition, if Movistar's goal is to win GC, or even obtain a podium position, they can't have their domestics racing for personal glory. The whole team has been FU for the last 3 years.
  • 09-02-2019
    El Scorcho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I don't see how Soler could have won the race if he couldn't even stay with Quintana when he was called back to help.

    He looked good off the front, I think he could have pushed it all the way to the line, but was obviously upset with the call from the team car. I think he petulantly shut it down once he did a token couple of minutes on the front for Nairo.
  • 09-02-2019
    ngl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    He looked good off the front, I think he could have pushed it all the way to the line, but was obviously upset with the call from the team car. I think he petulantly shut it down once he did a token couple of minutes on the front for Nairo.

    You are probably right. It's a sad situation to be a team leader and your domestics would rather go for a stage win rather than help you to obtain Red.
  • 09-02-2019
    KoroninK
    Soler is originally from Catalonia province, but lives in Andorra.

    Alejandro was trying to put time into Lopez and Roglic and once Rolgic caught him Roglic ended up doing more of the work. You could also see at the finish line that Alejandro was on his limit as he didn't sprint for the bonus seconds.

    Some Spanish speakers have said aside from the display we saw from Soler he told the team car he'd wait for Valverde but wanted no part of helping Quintana. So he basically did a token/required pull then pulled off. However, with that said he did follow team orders even if he wasn't happy.

    I think Movistar just proved why teams do not send riders who are leaving the team to big races after July.
  • 09-03-2019
    coldash
    Looks like Valverde is back to top dog in Movistar after Quintanaís loss of over 3 minute to Roglic in the TT. Valverde now just under 2 minutes behind Roglic on GC and Lopez, who was caught by Roglic, is just over 2 minutes down.
  • 09-03-2019
    ngl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Some Spanish speakers have said aside from the display we saw from Soler he told the team car he'd wait for Valverde but wanted no part of helping Quintana. So he basically did a token/required pull then pulled off. However, with that said he did follow team orders even if he wasn't happy.

    I think if Soler did this while on a team like Ineos (for example) he would be hitch-hiking home right now. Like it or not, a rider must follow Team orders.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I think Movistar just proved why teams do not send riders who are leaving the team to big races after July.

    I think the main reason is to limit the rider's buying power.
  • 09-03-2019
    KoroninK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I think if Soler did this while on a team like Ineos (for example) he would be hitch-hiking home right now. Like it or not, a rider must follow Team orders.


    I think the main reason is to limit the rider's buying power.

    Except that Soler DID follow team orders, he just showed he wasn't happy about it. He didn't openly defy team orders like Landa has defied team orders when he was both at Astana AND at Sky.

    Nope, most of the time the rider has already signed with another team.
  • 09-04-2019
    ngl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Except that Soler DID follow team orders, he just showed he wasn't happy about it. He didn't openly defy team orders like Landa has defied team orders when he was both at Astana AND at Sky.

    Well, if openly causing a fuss on camera, giving Quintana a short "token" assistance and then dropping back to be with Valverde isn't defying team orders is ok I guess your definition of defiance is different than mine.
  • 09-05-2019
    coldash
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post

    I think Movistar just proved why teams do not send riders who are leaving the team to big races after July.

    Just read that Movistar are sending both Carapaz and Landa to the Tour of Britain. Maybe two domestiques will protest at having to support them.

    It isnít a major race but can be surprisingly demanding even when it isnít raining.
  • 09-06-2019
    upstateSC-rider
    Wow! I saw a 26% pitch for a few seconds today...Crazy climb.
    When Quintana accelerated I thought, and hoped to be honest, that he had something but somehow Valverde managed to out-climb many pure climbers.
    Is it too late to change my podium picks to Roglic, Pogacar, Lopez? :)
    Pretty weird to not see anyone from Skyneos in the Top 25 in GC.
  • 09-07-2019
    KoroninK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Just read that Movistar are sending both Carapaz and Landa to the Tour of Britain. Maybe two domestiques will protest at having to support them.

    It isnít a major race but can be surprisingly demanding even when it isnít raining.

    Somehow Carapaz had Visa issues and couldn't get to the Tour of Britain. Landa and Amador are apparently co-leaders there. However, at least half the team sent to that race isn't returning to Movistar next season.
  • 09-07-2019
    coldash
    Yes, just read that Carapaz canít make it. Presumably Ineos will sort this out next year. I saw a recording of stage 1 of the ToB and it wasnít raining!

    Meanwhile back in the Vuelta, yesterday was a lucky escape for the GC leaders. I would hate a pile up to affect the outcome of the race
  • 09-08-2019
    KoroninK
    Glad the GC leaders got way without many issues. Pogacar and Valverde both went down with just minor bruises and scrapes.

    Today, according to several people, when Soler was called back by the team car to help Valverde, he was first asked if he could win the stage and when he responded no he was asked if he would then drop back to help Valverde.

    Obviously things can change, but so far Valverde and Roglic appear to be the strongest and the race is for the final podium spot.

    One other side note, the media covering la Vuelta has started calling Valverde "Grandpa".
  • 09-09-2019
    upstateSC-rider
    Another day, another maiden GT stage win from the break, great racing from Kuss and Fugslang.
  • 09-10-2019
    il sogno
    Chapeau, Fuglsang.
  • 09-10-2019
    ngl
    One thing is for sure, it's going to be an exciting last few days.

    One has to ask themselves:
    - Did they leave enough in the gas tank for the last couple of climbs?
    - Will anyone crash and burn?
    - Will an alliance be formed?
    - Will any previous bad deeds go unpunished?
  • 09-11-2019
    ngl
    Great tactics from Movistar again today, or, was it just Quintana and company putting the screws to Valverde and company for earlier bad deeds? Maybe we'll find out during tomorrow's stage.
  • 09-11-2019
    coldash
    Very fast stage. Gilbert said he was using a 54 x 11 and was spinning out on the flat. The breakaway were hitting 75kph at times (on the flat). What could have turned out to be a fairly boring stage became a bit of a memorable one.
  • 09-11-2019
    Marc
    I'll admit I thought this would be another boring parade sprint stage. 50kph average over 220kms...with speeds touching 80kph on flattish bits (the racers were legally speeding on many of those roads). Eurosport had to dump the posted schedule to start covering early, even.

    Hell for leather.

    Well done Gilbert.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    Great tactics from Movistar again today, or, was it just Quintana and company putting the screws to Valverde and company for earlier bad deeds? Maybe we'll find out during tomorrow's stage.

    Great tactics from Movistar, who was attacking their own (probably soon to be ex-)leader? Yes, Quintana held on just barely to the break and gained buckets of time on the GC--but that was only shear dumb luck rather than intent....Movistar were driving things on like maniacs and Quintana was alone at the back of that break.

    For a team that claims that Quintana is their leader and that things are hunky-dory, they aren't showing it
  • 09-11-2019
    aclinjury
    Pulling the red jersey to attack your own guy. I'm officially done with Moviestar. Will never root for any one of them again. What a pissy team attitude. Sure one could argue that Quintana will be leaving Moviestar, but them Spaniards show the world they're pretty petty
  • 09-12-2019
    il sogno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Pulling the red jersey to attack your own guy. I'm officially done with Moviestar. Will never root for any one of them again. What a pissy team attitude. Sure one could argue that Quintana will be leaving Moviestar, but them Spaniards show the world they're pretty petty

    Were you watching the NBCSN coverage with Matthew Keenan doing the commentating? They were speculating that Moviestar chased to shred Roglic's teammates out the back; to isolate Roglic and waste his team for tomorrow's stage.
  • 09-12-2019
    den bakker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Carapaz is out due to an injury at an international criterium. Valverde has said that he is riding for Quintana.

    That statement from Valverde did not age well
  • 09-12-2019
    ngl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Were you watching the NBCSN coverage with Matthew Keenan doing the commentating? They were speculating that Moviestar chased to shred Roglic's teammates out the back; to isolate Roglic and waste his team for tomorrow's stage.

    But Roglic's teammates just had to join the gruppetto and avoid the cut-off once they were shredded out the back then save their legs for Thursday. They are now a lot fresher for Stage 18 rather than the two camps in Movistar who worked hard in both groups during Stage 17 wouldn't you say?

    Sure they isolated Roglic, but so what? Roglic just had to sit on Valverde's wheel for the remainder of the stage and two things are pretty certain: Valverde is not strong enough to drop Roglic on the flats and Valverde is NOT going to lose out to Quintana.

    I can't wait to see what Movistar's tactics will be for Stage 18. Quintana and Valverde will be fighting each other for domination while Pogacar and Lopez will wait for an opportunity to win podium spots.
  • 09-12-2019
    KoroninK
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    But Roglic's teammates just had to join the gruppetto and avoid the cut-off once they were shredded out the back then save their legs for Thursday. They are now a lot fresher for Stage 18 rather than the two camps in Movistar who worked hard in both groups during Stage 17 wouldn't you say?

    Sure they isolated Roglic, but so what? Roglic just had to sit on Valverde's wheel for the remainder of the stage and two things are pretty certain: Valverde is not strong enough to drop Roglic on the flats and Valverde is NOT going to lose out to Quintana.

    I can't wait to see what Movistar's tactics will be for Stage 18. Quintana and Valverde will be fighting each other for domination while Pogacar and Lopez will wait for an opportunity to win podium spots.

    Last week Quintana said he was relinquishing leadership to Valverde. Quintana did get into the break, with DQS (I suspect DQS actually planned out what they did yesterday). From what many are saying Movistar went to the front to try to isolate Roglic and they did do that. However, Astana was still there and were more than happy to keep pulling to protect Lopez's hopes of a podium.
    One more thing to consider, at this point in la Vuelta, Valverde has a shot at the podium and if he gets it it's a record. Movistar will do what they can to protect his podium and thus a piece of history.
    One more thing, Quintana is showing he's learned how to race in crosswinds, yet it appears it's at the cost of his climbing. Today he lost time in the mountains yet again.
    Also remember one other thing. Quintana was the one saying he was sole leader of la Vuelta. Mr Unzue stated that Valverde was free to race for GC, stages or whatever he wished and was not there to help Quintana.
  • 09-12-2019
    ngl
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    From what many are saying Movistar went to the front to try to isolate Roglic and they did do that.

    And many others are saying Valverde and company went to the front to chase down Quintana (and protect Valverde's interests) and they certainly did do that. But here is a question for you. What good does it do for Movistar to isolate Roglic if they can't (and didn't) drop him???? As I said before all Roglic has to do (and he did do it) is to sit on Valverde's wheel.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Movistar will do what they can to protect his podium and thus a piece of history.

    Bingo. You just answered my question, and unbelievably, Movistar screwed over Quintana to do it.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Mr Unzue stated that Valverde was free to race for GC, stages or whatever he wished and was not there to help Quintana.

    Unzue probably did say that. But like most everyone is saying all over the internet; it's a shitty thing to do to drag the red jersey up to your team mate who otherwise may be sitting in red at the end of the stage even if it's only for a short time.
  • 09-13-2019
    coldash
    I see Movistar have been at it again - attacking rivals when they have been caught in a crash. Valverde received some direct feedback from the other riders and performed his best sprint of the event when he ran away from the press after the stage. Theyíve issued a sort of apology but I donít think anyone is impressed - or surprised. Theyíve done this before and lied about it.
  • 09-13-2019
    KoroninK
    However, it was Astana who did the vast majority of the work to reduce or hold the time gap. So there's that.

    As for why they wanted to drop Roglic's teammate, that's a better question than why did they go to the front, which was to drop them.
  • 09-13-2019
    coldash
    This article https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mov...-roglic-crash/ details the pelotonís view. Movistar havenít made too many friends as a result of this.