La Vuelta thread -- spoilers allowed once the race starts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

La Vuelta thread -- spoilers allowed once the race starts

Many of the teams have released their line-ups for la Vuelta now.

Movistar is sending 3 leaders. La Vuelta has chosen to honor Valverde by giving him the #1 for the race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Movistar is sending 3 leaders. La Vuelta has chosen to honor Valverde by giving him the #1 for the race.
    If you send 3 then you really don't have 1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think they should have gone with Valverde and Carapaz and left Quintana off the Vuelta team.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Primoz Roglic is riding. I wonder if he'll be team leader.

Proud luddite
    I'll be rooting for Fuglsang. He was having a great season until a disappointing TDF. We'll see if he returns to form in La Vuelta.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Carapaz is out due to an injury at an international criterium. Valverde has said that he is riding for Quintana.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Carapaz is out due to an injury at an international criterium. Valverde has said that he is riding for Quintana.
    Valverde has said before and still ended up riding for GC himself because, as the team even said, he can't bring himself to not race for GC. Also with Carapaz out, it's highly likely the team is asking him to ride for GC anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apparently a big crash today before televised coverage started with many riders going down and 4: Uran, Carthy, de la Parte, and Roche having to abandon.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Apparently a big crash today before televised coverage started with many riders going down and 4: Uran, Carthy, de la Parte, and Roche having to abandon.
    And TJ just rode of the road late in the stage...something in the water at Team EF? They need Remedial Bike Handling?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    The first EF and others crash was on a fast downhill bend. A J-V rider lost his front wheel on some water on the road (again!) and those behind had nowhere to go. Just luck as to whether a rider fell, survived, broke a bone, grazed skin etc.

TJ’s was a lack of judgment. He ran out of road on a bend but it was a very hard stage and he was probably cooked.

Otherwise a bit of an odd stage. Nobody seems to want to defend or contend for the Red jersey amongst the leading teams e.g. Astana and Movistar. Having seen what is still to come, I guess they are keeping something back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tejay abandons today due to injuries from the crash yesterday.

Valverde gets his stage win in his beloved Vuelta in the rainbow jersey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Another stage where the Red jersey wasn’t defended. Can’t say I blame them. The conditions towards the end were poor and tomorrow’s stage is short but with lots of metres to climb.

Good for Sunweb to get a stage win and for Cofidis to get the Red, although I suspect that will only be for one day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It seems no one really wants the leader's jersey. Can't say I blame them either. Attempting to defend it today with the rain just wasn't going to happen, esp considered the insane stage tomorrow in Andorra (again). They appear to like insane climbing stages in Andorra. Then the ITT is the day after the rest day, so two very important stages back to back with a rest day in between. An ITT off a rest day likely means someone is going to have an off day.

One interesting thing from Valverde's stage win. The stage 7 win for Valverde comes 16 years after his first Vuelta stage win which sets the all time record for more years between first and last (or most recent) stage wins in any Grand Tour. The record in both the Giro and Tour is 15 year difference.

One other interesting note is that at least for a few days we have both the oldest and youngest riders in la Vuelta in the top 10 of the overall GC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    VIA Vuelta: A ITT following a mountain stage, hence bike racing not faux, made for TV entertainment.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    VIA Vuelta: A ITT following a mountain stage, hence bike racing not faux, made for TV entertainment.
    Race going to pass near you, for live viewing?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    In this Vuelta we now have both the oldest rider (Valverde) and youngest rider (Pogacar) having won stages. Pogacar is 18 and a half years younger than Valverde.
    I'm hoping Alejandro doesn't end up sick from the cold and rain. He hates cold and suffers from it. He was shivering after both yesterday and today's stages. Today he was at the media area briefly giving 1 and 2 word answers for a short time before calling an end to it telling them he was frozen and going back to the team bus. One of the reporters said he wasn't surprised as Valverde was wrapped up in cold weather cycling gear and was visibly shivering.
    https://www.sports-addict.net/es/art...62LtCski_xm8SY

off the back
    Moviestar is one dysfunctional team.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Moviestar is one dysfunctional team.
    It seems next year, we'll find out how much of that dysfunction was issues with Quintana vs other issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I appreciate that team orders should be followed but I’ve a bit of sympathy for Soler on stage 9. He was in with a very good chance of a stage win (home GT) and Quintana would have still got the Red, IMO, so it would have been a double success for Movistar As it turned out, I don’t think Soler did much to pace Quintana when they joined up. Maybe he was still mad, who knows..... the ways of team Movistar are indeed mysterious

RoadBikeReview Member
    By far the most baffling Movistar move was when my man Alejandro attacked while two of his guys were up the road, effectively dragging Roglic along with him. Valverde is too smart for that, I read it as an intentional FU to Quintana.

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    I appreciate that team orders should be followed but I’ve a bit of sympathy for Soler on stage 9. He was in with a very good chance of a stage win (home GT) and Quintana would have still got the Red, IMO, so it would have been a double success for Movistar As it turned out, I don’t think Soler did much to pace Quintana when they joined up. Maybe he was still mad, who knows..... the ways of team Movistar are indeed mysterious
    If I remember the graphic correctly, I believe Soler was one of the three riders in the race who were local to that area, as well.

Would have been nice to get a stage win in your home region.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If I remember the graphic correctly, I believe Soler was one of the three riders in the race who were local to that area, as well.

Would have been nice to get a stage win in your home region.
    Yes that is his region & I am sure he would have loved that to be his first GT Stage win.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I don't see how Soler could have won the race if he couldn't even stay with Quintana when he was called back to help.

In addition, if Movistar's goal is to win GC, or even obtain a podium position, they can't have their domestics racing for personal glory. The whole team has been FU for the last 3 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    I don't see how Soler could have won the race if he couldn't even stay with Quintana when he was called back to help.
    He looked good off the front, I think he could have pushed it all the way to the line, but was obviously upset with the call from the team car. I think he petulantly shut it down once he did a token couple of minutes on the front for Nairo.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    He looked good off the front, I think he could have pushed it all the way to the line, but was obviously upset with the call from the team car. I think he petulantly shut it down once he did a token couple of minutes on the front for Nairo.
    You are probably right. It's a sad situation to be a team leader and your domestics would rather go for a stage win rather than help you to obtain Red.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast