Lance Oldstrong
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lance Oldstrong

Burning Fists of Love

Lance Oldstrong

Ya know, Lance is just a tad long in the tooth here to really lend a hand in the climbing fights. Why do I see fans waiting for him to "launch a massive attack"..........oh well. This getting old, having several wrecks and not climbing well are just bluffs stuff is a tad unrealistic right?
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Back from the dead
    Before 1999, he won (and almost won) stages on days where they were in rolling hills. So in an ideal situation, he would leave the mountains to the young guys and try his luck on a flatter stage. Unfortunately for him, the only stage left to do that is stage 18 into Bordeaux, and finishes into that town almost always end in a bunch sprint. I guess it's not out of the question for him, and what the hell, might as well give it a shot because he still has some TT ability, but it's not likely. So that leaves the massive attack in the mountains, which would be cool to see from an old man, but doesn't seem that likely either. So "massive" attack, probably not. But he could, to use an expression, attack like a postman one day and walk away with the win!

Get me to In&Out
    Anyone remember the epic win Jalabert put in during his last tour? I can see something like that happening.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I am disappointed that Lance didn't help Levi in the mountains at any stage. You would think that he would have played domestique for Levi after all the years service that Levi gave him, and help Levi to as high a GC postion as possible.
    I seen there is another thread here about Alberto not being a good team mate, well this shows Lance isn't either.
    Aside from that, it does look like Lance could be saving himself for one last epic ride and take a big stage win, maybe tomorrow?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    He is just using the TDF as training for the Nevada City classic.

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    Anyone remember the epic win Jalabert put in during his last tour? I can see something like that happening.
    No, is it on you-tube?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Although he didn't crash, isn't Vino 38 as well?

I don't think Lance's condition or age is holding him back, it's more of being shaken by the "****, I'm in deep ****" moment he had during his crash.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    Although he didn't crash, isn't Vino 38 as well?

I don't think Lance's condition or age is holding him back, it's more of being shaken by the "****, I'm in deep ****" moment he had during his crash.
    I don't know about that. A guy who survived cancer probably doesn't have too many deep ****" moments that have lasting effects.

Plus, didn't he run into a car on a descent and break his neck back in 2000? That didn't hold him back from winning five more tours, so his little spill the other day should hardly register.

Hammerhead
    I think this is what it looks like when Lance rides clean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Race is not over. He's been purposely bleeding time to improve his chances to be let out on a break. I'll reserve judgment until the race is over, but I think Lance is just biding his time to try for a stage win. Which of course is not guaranteed.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Satan
    I've never doped, but I'm not as fast as I was 18 years ago. And that's how long ago he turned pro, if I have my dates right.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He is waiting to make his move until he is way behind... like 8 hrs.
    It'll be an epic comeback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    If Lance is going to go for a stage win, tomorrow is really the only time. He wont win on the Tourmalet and he wont win on the flats because of Cavendish is hungry for a green jersey. I doubt he will win a stage but, if I were him, tomorrow is it.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by HIMEHEEM
    He is waiting to make his move until he is way behind... like 8 hrs.
    It'll be an epic comeback.
    I think he should go for the Lanterne Rouge. Perhaps he would be the only rider in history to both win the tour and come in last place. But even that isn't possible. Bert Grabsch has almost a three hour lead on Armstrong, and there is no way Lance could make up that time without missing a time cut.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Personally, I think the only plan Lance has is to finish the tour. He's doing that quietly and without excuses which makes the love-Lance/hate-Lance fodder a little more difficult to come by. So people are inventing their own stories to keep the love/hate alive for his final tour.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by g29er
    If Lance is going to go for a stage win, tomorrow is really the only time. He wont win on the Tourmalet and he wont win on the flats because of Cavendish is hungry for a green jersey. I doubt he will win a stage but, if I were him, tomorrow is it.
    After what happened between AS and AC, that isn't gonna happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Lance isn't 'helping' Levi because, well, he can't keep up at this point. Today was the first stage since the beginning where Lance looked good at all, finishing only a minute behind the main GC guys.

The problem is that Stage 16 has that long decent and flat finish that will require a fairly large break away group or heart bursting performance to keep ahead of the main group or peloton if there is one at that point.
    Last edited by Mordy; 07-19-2010 at 03:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Satan
    Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g29er
    You could be right, this may be the last stage he might be able to get away on. It not a good day for AS to try to attack AC with the long run into Pau from the Col Aubisque. Unless he truly believes he cant win the TT, time is running out. Then again, he has nothing to have to prove... Everyone else does...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    I don't know about that. A guy who survived cancer probably doesn't have too many deep ****" moments that have lasting effects.
    Point taken, but this is different (albeit less severe in a life-death standpoint). With cancer, he was ultimately off the bike and not racing for a while. This crash didn't take him off the bike, but still took him way out of contention.

It's a different "deep ****", like when comparing if you were being chased by man-eating wolves, and if you were caught in the bedroom with your ex's best friend.

your text here
    in all honesty, i think this could be wahts goin on. he is gutting out to finish the race.

but, to invent my own story, i wouldnt be surprised if at the end we learn he had cracked something during his roundabout fall and he was in incredible pain the last week of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by LWP
    Personally, I think the only plan Lance has is to finish the tour. He's doing that quietly and without excuses which makes the love-Lance/hate-Lance fodder a little more difficult to come by. So people are inventing their own stories to keep the love/hate alive for his final tour.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Boobies!
    I think he was pretty banged up by both falls, especially the clipped pedal one--that's when he told Bruyneel that his hip was bothering him and he could no longer give 100%. He already had saddle sores at that point as well--probably because he was not sitting well on his bike after the first couple of tumbles.

My joke is that I had my chair slide out from under me when putting on my cycling shoes the other day, and banged my butt/hip and felt the muscles tightening and was in pain for the next three days--I can't even imagine the pain anymore of coming off at 30+ and bouncing, and then getting back on to finish the stage, let alone start the next day

Add to that these stages have been wicked fast and very hot--I think he has been suffering.

He looked pretty good today.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

not feeling creative
    I think he should go for the Lanterne Rouge. Perhaps he would be the only rider in history to both win the tour and come in last place. But even that isn't possible. Bert Grabsch has almost a three hour lead on Armstrong, and there is no way Lance could make up that time without missing a time cut.
    are you a professional douchebag or do you just dabble in it for pleasure?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    That is funny! Epic!
    ________
    Live sex
    Last edited by rubbersoul; 09-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Lance has had an incredible amount of *bad luck* this Tour. I didn't have him pegged for a win anyway, but he looked pretty good before the accidents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast