Laurent Fignon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laurent Fignon

All I wanted was a Pepsi!

Laurent Fignon

The RBR newsletter had a little article on Fignon and his fight against stomach cancer.

Interestingly, the published his address and e-mail in case anyone wanted to pass on their well wishes. So I thought I'd post it here.

Good luck, Laurent.

Laurent Fignon
    126, rue du Maréchal Leclerc,
    94410 St-Maurice
    France

[email protected]
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    That is too bad. I didn't know he had this fight on his hands. Haven't heard anything about him in a long time. Hope he conquers. Loved his battles with LeMond.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Wishing him the best. Its gotta be tough. I will always remember him as the last guy to not go aero during a TT.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    A fine man. I'm pulling for him.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    I just e-mailed him. Cummon guys, let's send him some good wishes. He entertained us well years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gh1
    I will always remember him as the last guy to not go aero during a TT.
    You mean that TdF TT when Lemond beat him to win the overall by just 8 seconds?

While it's true that Lemond used aerobars (one of the first), Fignon was rocking disc wheels front and back compared to Lemond's box rim in front. LF wasn't without an aero weapon or two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Agreed! Did my part and sent my email.

Dopers ruin sport
    What a great bike rider! I'm wishing him the best, and keeping him in my prayers.

classiquesklassieker
    * Two Tours
    * Two Milano-Sanremo
    * Two Criterium International
    * La Fleche Wallone
    * Grand Prix des Nations

And yet most people in the US remember him as the guy who lost to LeMond in the 1989 Tour, a resurgent season where by that point he had won Milano-Sanremo, Giro d'Italia, and Grand Prix des Nations.

Riders today don't even have the guts to try something like that anymore, unless you count their off-season boasting!

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I just e-mailed him. Cummon guys, let's send him some good wishes. He entertained us well years ago.
    I sent him one (in English and with a Babelfish translation). I hope it's not his personal account, and he has a secretary to tell him about well wishers, otherwise he might truly hate us if he has to wade through thousands of get well messages to find what he's looking for
    To the troll mobile, away...

Nov 2009

Laurent Fignon

The man is fighting a real tough and hard battle. I sent him a encouraging e-mail in french.
    Lets keep them coming.
    Thanks
    Bruno 895

RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember Laurent Fignon and Indurain were effin ripped, not like the dinky little riders you see today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

waterproof*
    I remember a photo of Fignon from his early career, he was away solo, going to win whatever race it was, and his Campy crank broke, clean in half, putting him on the pavement. The photo was of him sitting there looking stunned, one foot still strapped in with half a crank hanging there.

Definitely a helluva rider.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    That time trial in 89 was the reason I started cycling. I video taped it and I watched it over and over again. I was about 12 years old and I remember I got a System U jersey for my birthday from my older cousin who raced. When everyone else was cheering on Lemond, I was cheering on Fignon, they all thought I was nuts. I was, and still am a big fan of Laurent.

I really hope he pulls through.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    That was a titanium BB spindle that broke. I also remember him for getting a flatworm one year - i always assumed it was from the cow sh!t getting sprayed on his bottle in the spring classics.

But I remember him most for putting the hammer down on Hinault in the Alps to win the Tour. Those were some great rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Thanks for the email info....message sent. I pulled for Greg in '89 but I'm pulling for Fignon now.

Just Plain Bitter
    Email sent - He was a great Ambassador for cycling in the 80's. I know I cheered for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius

And yet most people in the US remember him as the guy who lost to LeMond in the 1989 Tour,
    ...who was a sore (French) loser and claimed GL "played the role of a weak chicken".

Oh well, best wishes to him in his battle. It's a shame.
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Good Person
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel
    ...who was a sore (French) loser and claimed GL "played the role of a weak chicken".

Well, a lot of people do silly things in their youth that I don't think should be held against them when they are more mature (unless they don't change, that is). I feel bad for Fignon; even though I enjoy watching Lemond's victory, I enjoy watching Fignon race a lot. I was in grade school when those guys were racing, but I have watched the videos of their races many times. I hope he is able to pull through it, but I think it is really bad....
    I like when you get to that point and I donít know if itís the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youíre so far from where you started, that youíre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by gh1
    Wishing him the best. Its gotta be tough. I will always remember him as the last guy to not go aero during a TT.
    He wasn't the last one.
    Chiapucchi (sp?) did the same thing in 1990 tour.
    Granted, he would probably lost LeMond anyway but he showed up with no aerobar when everyone else did......
    Hope he beat the damn cancer......
    Last edited by cpark; 02-15-2010 at 06:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He was one of my great heroes of the 80s. I am really hoping the best for him now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb
    Well, a lot of people do silly things in their youth that I don't think should be held against them when they are more mature (unless they don't change, that is).
    To be fair, he was 28 at the time, had already won two tours years before, and IIRC was the youngest rider to win the tour. By that age and the time spent in the pros, you'd think he would learned how to be gracious and complimentary to the guy who beat him. He came off as an ass and that is the other way in which many remember him.

I don't wish him ill will, I hope he can recover. But I also believe in calling a spade a spade (same with Pantani).
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    From what I have read, this is incurable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel

Like him or not. I will always have respect for great champions. He has accomplished things that we can only dream of. There have been alot of crybabies in Pro cycling,(I can name a few) but it doesn't take away from what they accomplished.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Email and prayers sent. He was a beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast