Marcel Kittel Early Retirement
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Marcel Kittel Early Retirement

Proud luddite
    Sorry to see this but not surprised. Hes been struggling with depression for a while. I hope he can get his life in order and find peace.

EDIT: I should say he is rumored to suffer from depression but I dont know that to be fact. Still, I wish him the best as he moves on.
    Last edited by azpeterb; 1 Week Ago at 07:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Its a shame. Hes still probably the fastest guy physically when hes on. He and Cav just unraveled performance wise around the same time. Griepel has had a big drop off too. Ironically, they all used to be teammates at one point in time as part of the greatest sprint train to have ever sprint trained. Degenkolb was part of that squad too I believe. Crazy how quickly things change in the World Tour.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Days Ago at 08:46 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Neophyte
    A couple years ago when Sagan was wrongfully dq'd from the TdF and Kittel won five stages it was really unfortunate when he crashed and missed out on the green jersey. But also I thought some folks said it wasn't that bad a crash and he could have finished? I might be wrong there, but it felt like he wasn't the same after that.

Hope he returns, in the meantime he can make money at Vanilla Ice impersonation contests...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    A couple years ago when Sagan was wrongfully dq'd from the TdF and Kittel won five stages it was really unfortunate when he crashed and missed out on the green jersey. But also I thought some folks said it wasn't that bad a crash and he could have finished? I might be wrong there, but it felt like he wasn't the same after that.

Hope he returns, in the meantime he can make money at Vanilla Ice impersonation contests...
    Or play Dragos nephew in upcoming Rocky/Creed movies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sprinting is like that. Nobody really dominates as a pure sprinter for more than a couple years at a time. Then the next crop of young steeds come out of the gate hungry and winning. And yet sometimes it 'comes back' for these guys.

Kittel was amazing at the time, Cav and Cipolini ever moreso, but eventually they had bad years too and faded. Sagan is so different - beating all but 1 or 2 of the top sprinters over and over in the Tour day in and out, and being a Classics beast too.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Sprinting is like that. Nobody really dominates as a pure sprinter for more than a couple years at a time. Then the next crop of young steeds come out of the gate hungry and winning. And yet sometimes it 'comes back' for these guys.

Kittel was amazing at the time, Cav and Cipolini ever moreso, but eventually they had bad years too and faded. Sagan is so different - beating all but 1 or 2 of the top sprinters over and over in the Tour day in and out, and being a Classics beast too.
    Agreed, but even Peter is having an off year by his standards. Time eventually catches up with all of us.