Movistar documentary on Netflix
    RoadBikeReview Member

Movistar documentary on Netflix

There's a documentary on Netflix about the Movistar's 2019 season. It's called "The Least Expected Day". In Spanish, but English subtitles available. I just started watching and it's not bad. It will at least give you some pro cycling action during quarantine time.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mov...r-2019-season/

RoadBikeReview Member
    tried to watch this last nite, but never found a way to get the English subtitles shown...

lot of talking head shots, so the visuals weren't really all that enthralling, bailed about half-way thru the first episode.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    tried to watch this last nite, but never found a way to get the English subtitles shown...

lot of talking head shots, so the visuals weren't really all that enthralling, bailed about half-way thru the first episode.
    even in an hispanic country I succeeded getting english subtitles.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I watched the entire series in one binge. Some of the antics of the team members and staff were hard to believe. Any rival teams watching it must feel a bit reassured. At least it wasn’t full of presentational gloss. I really like Landa as a rider but this reinforced my view that he’ll be lucky to win a GT. Quintana seems to be a difficult character to relate to. He is possibly his own worst enemy. Valverde kept out of the team politics. Soler needs to grow up. Carapaz at Ineos will be interesting- I can see that not going well

Worthwhile watching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    bailed about half-way thru the first episode.
    You went further than I did.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    finally got the netflix subtitle problem resolved and watched the series...

was ok, not great...but filled up a rainy afternoon, so not a waste of time.

Nairo seemed oddly aloof for some reason, doesn't come across as a total team player. not sure if it's a cultural or personal issue.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Nairo was the underdog on that entire team. They wanted Landa to succeed over Nairo but Landa couldn't cut it. Now both of them have moved on to different teams, and I'll bet Nairo man will have a better chance to be back to his glory days than Landa will.

Valderde is the grandfather of that team, he gets to do anything he wants, but ultimately he's too old to be winning anymore.

Soler will be a perpetual domestique. Not enough talent to win, not enough brain to lead.

Moviestar is a well funded team, but they won't be winning any GT or classic anytime soon. They need to look outward for a GT guy to lead that team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does Enric Mas fit as looking outward for a leader? He was brought in to be a leader for the team this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Does Enric Mas fit as looking outward for a leader? He was brought in to be a leader for the team this year.
    A top tier GC team needs a top tier GC guy to maximize investment. Otherwise, it's just an exercise for some cameo time for its sponsor. Is Mas this guy to deliver them to the promised land?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I suspect until we get a more normal season we won't know if Mas is or isn't that guy. However, he deserves a chance. He does have a GT podium.

As for classics they haven't exactly been a team for classics outside of the Valverde era.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finally was able to watch the documentary. Being that this is a Movistar production it could have turned into a PR piece for the company and it didn't. They allowed the tension to show through. I liked Landa before, and still like him. However, he isn't going to win a Grand Tour. I can understand his frustration with the bad luck. Quintana appears to be very aloof. It also appeared (at least to me) that the other members of the Tour team weren't really sure what to do and by default looked to Valverde who was trying to ignore what was going on between Landa and Quintana. I think you see more of Valverde's leadership at la Vuelta where he's trying to keep things more lighthearted and his teammates responding to his leadership. I think it's also very evident how much that Vuelta stage win in the rainbow jersey meant to him. Marc Soler still has a lot to learn. He doesn't currently have leadership abilities and he may never learn them.