No Amgen Tour of Calif in 2020 - sad - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    They made themselves irrelevant moving to may.
    By and large, not exactly something that will be missed in the race calendar.
    According to what I've read from many pros, the opposite holds true on both counts.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    According to what I've read from many pros, the opposite holds true on both counts.
    Yeah I'd think this is true. The May race seems like it would be good for riders focusing on the TDF before some of the bigger tune-up races in Europe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    This sucks. Hopefully this will be part of the growing pains of the sport in the U.S. and result in something different/better coming back in 21'.

Vaughters makes some interesting points in the CN article. Maybe they can get amateurs to pay to race/ride the course on the same day or maybe day before/after? Like a Haute Route connected to a race.
    I don't know if this can be called growing pains when it's been almost 45 years since the 1st Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger in 1975. If it ain't Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey or Auto Racing there just ain't much interest for it here in the U.S. Advertisers don't get much return for their investment.
    Too old to ride plastic

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I don't know if this can be called growing pains when it's been almost 45 years since the 1st Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger in 1975. If it ain't Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey or Auto Racing there just ain't much interest for it here in the U.S. Advertisers don't get much return for their investment.
    Yeah poor choice of words on my part. But many businesses do need to adjust and pivot as time goes by. I'm not sure pro cycling was ever that profitable in this country but I'm just hoping a revised and viable model comes about through these trials and tribulations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What a miserable announcement or explanation. All they say is there will be no race in 2020 and they will evaluate whether or not to return in the future. They offer nothing other than a shallow boilerplate double speak on the details, (whatever they are.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12