No Amgen Tour of Calif in 2020 - sad

SO Bummed to see this today.........

https://www.velonews.com/2019/10/new...in-2020_502280

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Thatís some suckage right there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very sad...Not enough interest to support America's premier race yet millions follow college football/basketball religiously, where's my shaking my head emoji?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Neophyte
    Since the race is local to me it's been something I've looked forward to both watching on TV and attending in person every year... this is really unfortunate.

Might not help that it's held during the Giro, but maybe overall that doesn't make a huge difference.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Very sad...Not enough interest to support America's premier race yet millions follow college football/basketball religiously, where's my shaking my head emoji?
    Things are changing....TBH I see more people try/want to sign up for Dirty Kanza than I see roadside for ToC.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Well, that's sad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Thatís some suckage right there.
    I went to a bicycle race and a crowd broke out. Well I least I have the memories.

photo rockstoretoc.jpg
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    I went to a bicycle race and a crowd broke out. Well I least I have the memories.
    Rock Store! That was a fun day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    I don't get get it. The explanation is a bit murky. What has changed that makes 10 years ago different than today? More prize money? less sponsorship? No sponsorship? govt red tape? maybe all the above? I would prefer that they would come right out and say it, instead of dancing around some cryptic explanation, with a promise of a maybe. Too bad, I always looked forward to it. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Neophyte
    Don't forget insurance... I bet that figured in somehow.

Still down about it. I remember my wife commenting how Peter Sagan looked like he was going to be good and a lot of people had no idea who he was. And any time they did Diablo or Hamilton was a treat for me... and also out on the coast... Coleman Valley Rd is one of my favorite short climbs...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Things are changing....TBH I see more people try/want to sign up for Dirty Kanza than I see roadside for ToC.
    You have a point, seems like every other local big race is a gravel one nowadays.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMoss View Post
    What has changed that makes 10 years ago different than today? More prize money? less sponsorship? No sponsorship? govt red tape? maybe all the above?
    Iíd think it has mostly to with sponsorship. Amgen has been footing the lionís share of the bill all along. I believe they operating on a two-year basis which was due for renewal. Unless there was some super-compelling ROI that was going to change at some point. Obviously, this highlights the question as to the whole organization of the sport.

There is also the issue of AEGís operation of the event. AEG is no weak sister in the area of sports management. While I give them kudos for taking on this endeavor, it has to be a red-headed step child in comparison to running the Staples Center or the LA Galaxy. The ToC is complicated to set up and operate and seems unlikely to make a lot of money in comparison tho those other venues. Eventually Anschutz has got to say ďWhy are doing all this for such a paltry return?Ē

i agree it is frustrating not to hear more post-mortem detail. Maybe they really do want to try again in the future. Who knows, maybe some sort of Hammer Series event will rise out of the ashes.

Darling of The Lounge
    I still have fond memories of past individual time trials around the Solvang area. It was nice having a world-class stage race within a short bike ride from my house.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few years back when here in Sonoma County we volunteered many days prior and day of, the talk then was looking into adding another 4-6 days to it at some point in the few following years to make it basically half the length of one of the major tours and many cities vying and paying to have it start or stop in there town for the tourism dollars that they got, so I have to think it is unable to grow like they want as once they are here those days make it more viable but maybe the Gov't red tape and sponsoring doesn't align with that. I also remember them talking about making those 2 weeks not interfere with any other tours like the Giro or Swiss. After that morning shift we were off and jet'd up mid-way on Coleman after the climb from the ocean to see Peter racing by way out in front (this after getting to chat with him near the starting line) was epic! Sure hope they figure this out..........
    Keith

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here is my take on it, purely my own view of it.

I used to watch a lot of pro road cycling a few years back, when I was younger and single and had a fair amount of freetime. Now I'm married, have two sons, a full time job, and barely enough free time to do things that actually matter to me (read a book. visit with friends. go for a walk with my wife.). I don't really have extra time to spend on pro sports, of any kind.

I used to watch most big races, or at least follow them. I often watched on a computer through a free feed. Now I can't find too many. I have no interest in paying to watch, when I barely have the time, and always have something else to do anyway.

If the "All American" sport of baseball is struggling, it's clear something like road cycling is going to struggle. Toss in the insanity of distracted driving and the real fear of getting hit and killed that I feel more and more...and I have less and less interest in road cycling myself, which means I have less and less interest in watching it, if I don't even do it.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
    After that morning shift we were off and jet'd up mid-way on Coleman after the climb from the ocean to see Peter racing by way out in front (this after getting to chat with him near the starting line) was epic! Sure hope they figure this out..........
    Keith
    We were on Coleman that day, it was a pretty good crowd... I wish he'd hung on for the stage win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    surprised it has lasted this long

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's very sad to see it go. I always looked forward to seeing Tour of California. It was a fun race to watch and one of the few the young American riders could show they could race with the top riders in the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    They made themselves irrelevant moving to may.
    By and large, not exactly something that will be missed in the race calendar.
    Blows your hair back.

Neophyte
    It was also arguably worse that they went to World Tour status but anyway hopefully there will be a revival.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    It was also arguably worse that they went to World Tour status but anyway hopefully there will be a revival.
    For the us continental teams that made life very hard.
    Blows your hair back.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    This sucks. Hopefully this will be part of the growing pains of the sport in the U.S. and result in something different/better coming back in 21'.

Vaughters makes some interesting points in the CN article. Maybe they can get amateurs to pay to race/ride the course on the same day or maybe day before/after? Like a Haute Route connected to a race.

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    Vaughters makes some interesting points in the CN article. Maybe they can get amateurs to pay to race/ride the course on the same day or maybe day before/after? Like a Haute Route connected to a race.
    This would be a hard sell for many communities and municipalities in a automobile-obsessed country. Keeping roads closed to the general populace for a niche sport that they have no interest just causes aggravation.

I live in a community that hosts a Gran Fondo. Closing local roads even for half-a-day is about a much as the community can tolerate.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    This would be a hard sell for many communities and municipalities in a automobile-obsessed country. Keeping roads closed to the general populace for a niche sport that they have no interest just causes aggravation.

I live in a community that hosts a Gran Fondo. Closing local roads even for half-a-day is about a much as the community can tolerate.
    That make sense. I guess you'd have to find just the right locations to do it and make sure the route changes year after year to avoid getting the same people upset over and over again. I used to live in Utah and went to many stages of the TOU. The pro race didn't cause too much trouble as the road closures were usually rolling and the pros go fast enough that specific areas aren't closed down for too long.

I'm just remembering this but I did an event there where you rode stage 6 before the pros went and other than the start they didn't close the roads for the amateurs after the first several miles. It was a paid event which I assume helped the TOU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast