No Amstel-Gold Thread?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Adorable Furry Hombre

No Amstel-Gold Thread?

Only saw the men's race....holy crap what an ending.

Hopefully the women's is on-demand, because supposedly it was a fun one as well.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Let's just say *****SPOILERS ALLOWED***** from this point on and call this the thread.

Yeah man, the end was amazing! MVDP is amazing right now. I thought Kwiat or Alaphillipe had it. Can't wait until this guy is racing road full time. Definitely worth watching if you can track the race or highlights down.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/04/21/onvo...-leiders-en-w/
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Eurosport had on-demand of the last 40km of the ladies. That was a fun one too with a great win too, didn't think Niewiadoma would pull that one out.

Anyone else noticee that MVDP had to change bib shorts before the podium? Not that I mind not having to see 100% white bib shorts from the NL champs kit on the podium, and instead the trade team shorts.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Eurosport had on-demand of the last 40km of the ladies. That was a fun one too with a great win too, didn't think Niewiadoma would pull that one out.

Anyone else noticee that MVDP had to change bib shorts before the podium? Not that I mind not having to see 100% white bib shorts from the NL champs kit on the podium, and instead the trade team shorts.
    Sheís probably one of my top three favorite female pros (along with Rivera and Van Der Bergen), so I am happy to see she got the win. Just say no to white bibs. I donít even understand why the things are still being made lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    and yet, MVDP's plan is to spend the rest of the spring and summer riding in the relative obscurity and real economic poverty of the pro XC racing scene. WHY??????????? For the chance of a meaningless Olympic medal next year?

This man could win a Green jersey I bet. Heck he's a worthy rival to Sagan, or perhaps even better. Pro road cycling may not be as big as NFL or World Cup soccer but it is 50 times the presence exposure and money of XC racing. Maybe a lot more, and he's right there at the very top right now.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    and yet, MVDP's plan is to spend the rest of the spring and summer riding in the relative obscurity and real economic poverty of the pro XC racing scene. WHY??????????? For the chance of a meaningless Olympic medal next year?

This man could win a Green jersey I bet. Heck he's a worthy rival to Sagan, or perhaps even better. Pro road cycling may not be as big as NFL or World Cup soccer but it is 50 times the presence exposure and money of XC racing. Maybe a lot more, and he's right there at the very top right now.
    Heís young and to some people am Olympic medal still means a lot. His dad apparently wants him to go full-time road, but heís decided to wait until 2020. He knows what he wants and I kind of respect that even if itís not the choice I would necessarily make. Sagan went the other way and sometimes I feel like he regrets it. His passion is actually MTB.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/04/new...el-gold_492380

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let me add a vote to a ban on white bib shorts. Those things should just not exist. I'd be even happier if all bibs were a dark color.

I don't have any issue with MvdP wanting to go after an Olympic medal in a different area of cycling from road. It's possible 2024 or 2028 road Olympic routes would be more to his liking as well. Yes an Olympic medal can mean a great deal to an athlete. One other thing is that while he's doing this he is racing for a smaller pro road team and thus is likely getting a better opportunity to actually learn and develop which is also a good thing.

Rashadabd, I agree with you about Sagan. I also think there are times he regrets the choice he made to leave MTB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Also, Julien Absalon and Nino Schurter have actually made a good living racing XC MTB. MVDP appears to be on the level where he could do the same if he wishes or he could make a career run of dominating CX like Sven Nys did and profit fairly handsomely from that. If you are the very best at any of these forms of bike racing, you are probably doing just fine based on the sponsorship money alone.

It sounds like we will ultimately only have to wait a year or so anyway because he has pretty much committed himself to road full-time after the Olympics. He could be on a small team the first few years though because he said he plans to honor his current contract which runs until 2023. Weíll see how long that lasts when the big World Tour teams come calling.

Van der Poel courted by major teams but says 'they will have to wait' | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Such a talent, I think there's no way he stays with his current team until 2023, but if he does, I give him major props.
    Glad to see another group of up and comers, between MVDP, Remco, and Wout Van Aert the racing will be great to watch like it was with Sagan, EBH, and Phinney when they first came on the scene.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Such a talent, I think there's no way he stays with his current team until 2023, but if he does, I give him major props.
    Glad to see another group of up and comers, between MVDP, Remco, and Wout Van Aert the racing will be great to watch like it was with Sagan, EBH, and Phinney when they first came on the scene.
    I agree. I donít think he is making these decisions based on money. It seems like itís not a major factor for him, which suggests either his parents have money and/or his current sponsorship deals are compensating him nicely. My guess is itís the latter. Heís promoting Canyonís products across three branches of the sport (road, cx, mtb xco). He is clearly their most exciting athlete right now and I bet that pays well. So, he might be good financially for the next few years and happy to stay put and aboard a Canyon bike.

Pack Fodder.
    If he's doing this sort of stuff with no top-tier team, I'm not sure why he'd want to move over to a Classics team like DQS that is already stacked with talent. Maybe a Trek or other team that would fully support his multi-discipline desires yet doesn't have so many stars on board already. He doesn't need to move at the moment. They will all come to him.

He's definitely a Classics star for the future if he continues, but he could just as easily end up a Vandenbroucke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    If he's doing this sort of stuff with no top-tier team, I'm not sure why he'd want to move over to a Classics team like DQS that is already stacked with talent. Maybe a Trek or other team that would fully support his multi-discipline desires yet doesn't have so many stars on board already. He doesn't need to move at the moment. They will all come to him.
    He's definitely a Classics star for the future if he continues, but he could just as easily end up a Vandenbroucke.
    I think the primary motivations for moving to a bigger team are money, resources, and stability. It also sounds like he will be focused on road exclusively after 2020, but Lars Boom has advised against him doing that. He believes thatís a key part of his advantage in the early Classics season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He doesn't seem motivated by money to move to a bigger team. I think at some point he will IF he go fully to road. By going to a WT team he'll have options for any big race the entire season. That is something he won't get with a non WT team.

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    He doesn't seem motivated by money to move to a bigger team. I think at some point he will IF he go fully to road. By going to a WT team he'll have options for any big race the entire season. That is something he won't get with a non WT team.
    Yeah, I think he'll eventually go with the team that will allow him to race whatever discipline he chooses and give him sufficient support/starts in the races he wants. As much as I'm not a fan of Captain Sideburns, linking up with EF would be kinda awesome, and it kinda links in with their race whatever floats your boat theme this season. Plus, stabilizing a more fragile team (sponsorship) only helps the league.

I admire him sticking with his current team for the moment. That's paying them back in a big way and raising their profile considerably. The sponsors are probably peeing themselves right about now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, I think he'll eventually go with the team that will allow him to race whatever discipline he chooses and give him sufficient support/starts in the races he wants. As much as I'm not a fan of Captain Sideburns, linking up with EF would be kinda awesome, and it kinda links in with their race whatever floats your boat theme this season. Plus, stabilizing a more fragile team (sponsorship) only helps the league.

I admire him sticking with his current team for the moment. That's paying them back in a big way and raising their profile considerably. The sponsors are probably peeing themselves right about now.
    My guess is if he does go, it will be a big budget and/or Dutch or Belgian team. I am thinking Sunweb or Lotto Soudal or Quickstep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Exactly. He couldn't even race PR because his team didn't get an invite...Would've loved to see him at PR.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mathieu should remain in white shorts. But with a special rule that only HE can wear those and pull it off with style. Plus it really helps spectators and commentators know who is who. Sagan in a hippy fro, Valverde in old man wrinkles and grey stubble, and the kid in all white.

i miss the days when they did not wear helmets
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member

Not sure he'd go with EF, but you're right, their idea this year of hey, go race whatever the heck you want would definitely fit with his racing CX and MTB and anything else he may want to try. Plus I'd think they would send him to all the cobbled classics he wants to go to. However, my guess he's going to go with one of the northern European teams.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Mathieu should remain in white shorts. But with a special rule that only HE can wear those and pull it off with style. Plus it really helps spectators and commentators know who is who. Sagan in a hippy fro, Valverde in old man wrinkles and grey stubble, and the kid in all white.

i miss the days when they did not wear helmets

Valverde is one of the few riders left from that era. There are a few pictures of him racing for Kelme wearing a hat instead of a helmet.

Sorry, even he doesn't get to wear white shorts. Just please no white shorts for anyone. I'd prefer not even light colored shorts in general.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It sounds like we were collectively right about a lot of things.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/04/new...er-poel_492941

The Sagan and Froome type money is there for the taking. He feels no pressure though because he wants to continue to ride mtb and cx for a bit and already makes about $1 million a year. Heís fine riding out that contract and freedom for the time being and feels his team will get enough invites to keep him satisfied until 2023.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    It sounds like we were collectively right about a lot of things.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/04/new...er-poel_492941

The Sagan and Froome type money is there for the taking. He feels no pressure though because he wants to continue to ride mtb and cx for a bit and already makes about $1 million a year. Heís fine riding out that contract and freedom for the time being and feels his team will get enough invites to keep him satisfied until 2023.
    Yep if he's already making around 1 million a year he doesn't need the big contracts. Let him have fun and race what he wants to race. I do think that's the best decision he can make.

Pack Fodder.
    As long as injury or other issues knock him out, there will be no shortage of suitors when he's ready, and on his terms. I do think he should ride Worlds, just because that course would really suit him. Otherwise, he should ride what keeps him inspired and helps him grow as a rider. A lot of upcoming pros and teams should consider his example.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As long as injury or other issues knock him out, there will be no shortage of suitors when he's ready, and on his terms. I do think he should ride Worlds, just because that course would really suit him. Otherwise, he should ride what keeps him inspired and helps him grow as a rider. A lot of upcoming pros and teams should consider his example.
    Worlds is national team and they would be stupid not to invite him. I agree he should ride the Worlds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast