Is pro cycling a dying sport? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 66
  1. #26
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,139
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Basketball (college is November through March (first weekend of April). Hockey season is longer. The NHL season is from the beginning of Oct through May and into June for the finals. However, good luck finding it on TV, esp if you aren't in a market of an NHL team. Middle of the summer is when the US is lacking for sports coverage with baseball and auto racing being it. It would be nice to have some real coverage of races, but stations like ESPN would prefer to show poker (who know why) to cycling. I remember when ESPN was young (back in the 80's) and they showed all kinds of sports, but now if it's not football or basketball they don't care.
    Just looked. Local cable monopoly has 50 or so dedicated sports channels, not including duplicates. Almost all are idle.

    Even ESPN today only actually had 4 hours of actual sports today out of 24...all the rest is studio talk fluff.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Just looked. Local cable monopoly has 50 or so dedicated sports channels, not including duplicates. Almost all are idle.

    Even ESPN today only actually had 4 hours of actual sports today out of 24...all the rest is studio talk fluff.
    Dish has some sports channels called Alternative. Basically what that means is during a specific season they will put some games on those stations so that a wider audience can view them instead of the local market audience only which many of them on their local sports stations can't be viewed if you aren't in that market. As I said, ESPN isn't what it was when it first started and showed tons of actual sports. I remember when they showed hydroplane racing, but they haven't showed that since the early 90's.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,906
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Basketball (college is November through March (first weekend of April). Hockey season is longer. The NHL season is from the beginning of Oct through May and into June for the finals. However, good luck finding it on TV, esp if you aren't in a market of an NHL team. Middle of the summer is when the US is lacking for sports coverage with baseball and auto racing being it. It would be nice to have some real coverage of races, but stations like ESPN would prefer to show poker (who know why) to cycling. I remember when ESPN was young (back in the 80's) and they showed all kinds of sports, but now if it's not football or basketball they don't care.
    Gambling
    Too old to ride plastic

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Gambling
    Now that is an interesting thought.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    542
    At least Eurosport is maintaining their cycling coverage. All the big races and so many smaller races. For the big races, they seem to have the live coverage first thing in the morning then shorter summary programs later in the day. This is one of the only things I subscribe to. You do need a VPN connection to the UK for access to the video stream:
    http://bit.ly/2ZTnWsm
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 06-27-2019 at 09:17 AM.

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,224
    I pretty much like all forms of racing, cycling being my fave. Speed skating is second. We have a pretty lively and varied scene, we have a Wednesday night track racing scene on an auto track velo. We have a few car tracks, one dirt. We have a very rich history of boat racing, from inland regattas to sailing and yachting to off shore monster engine ocean racing.

    I watch lots of road cycling. I watch a little of other cycling, track mostly, CX is a passing interest. What I love most about road racing is the racing within the racing. The teamwork strategies and the alliances and rivalries. You donít have much of that chess game in other cycling disciplines. The fluidity of teams, riders, sponsors and the like can be maddening. Sometimes itís exciting, but mostly itís frustrating. Mapei said it perfectly. Sure, protecting placing can be boring and this year it has been especially common with breakaways routinely winning stages. I donít think cycling will get more or less popular. I think it is what it is. It is a spectacularly brutal, dangerous and beautiful sport but you need to understand it to appreciate it, like baseball minus the life threatening conditions... My wife is also a racing fan, stock cars, F1 and cycling. But she will also get into anything local.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,987
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Now that is an interesting thought.
    plenty plenty of gambling on cycling.
    Blows your hair back.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,224
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    plenty plenty of gambling on cycling.
    In the trackie heyday at MSG gambling was central to the sports popularity!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,906
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    plenty plenty of gambling on cycling.
    

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ting-on-in-us/

    From the link...
    This statistic shows most popular sports for betting in the United States in 2017 according to a Statista survey. 77 percent of survey respondents said they had placed bets on football in the past.
    Last edited by velodog; 06-30-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    Too old to ride plastic

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,987
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ting-on-in-us/

    From the link...
    This statistic shows most popular sports for betting in the United States in 2017 according to a Statista survey. 77 percent of survey respondents said they had placed bets on football in the past.
    ok.
    so?
    Blows your hair back.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,906
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    ok.
    so?
    While, yes, there is plenty of gambling on cycling, I posted the link to the top 10 sports being bet on in the USA because that seems to be where cycling coverage seems to be the issue in this thread. Football and basketball are on top of that list and my gambling response was to
    "I remember when ESPN was young (back in the 80's) and they showed all kinds of sports, but now if it's not football or basketball they don't care.
    "
    in KoroninK's post.
    Too old to ride plastic

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,987
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    While, yes, there is plenty of gambling on cycling, I posted the link to the top 10 sports being bet on in the USA because that seems to be where cycling coverage seems to be the issue in this thread. Football and basketball are on top of that list and my gambling response was to
    "I remember when ESPN was young (back in the 80's) and they showed all kinds of sports, but now if it's not football or basketball they don't care.
    "
    in KoroninK's post.
    this thread is about pro cycling. So what happens in the us is a small side note.

    Do you think a survey time period of January 6 - 14, 2017 is of much use for cycling?
    Blows your hair back.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,906
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    this thread is about pro cycling. So what happens in the us is a small side note.

    Do you think a survey time period of January 6 - 14, 2017 is of much use for cycling?
    Sorry I offended you.
    Too old to ride plastic

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,987
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Sorry I offended you.
    well if that's all you got.
    have a nice day.
    Blows your hair back.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    621
    I'll watch the grand tours, classics and other European racing for the scenery, memories of travel there and of course the riding. I'm too cheap to pay, so I stream, and can pick and choose what and how much of a stage I'll watch. Streaming is Eurosport coverage which is far better than Paul as well. I'm part of the problem, a casual fan at best, and I am more of a fan than all of my bike riding buddies, none of them watch or support racing in any way, including those who used to race. I guess if cycling in the US figured out a way to sell beer ads like every other sport, they might have a shot at paying the bills.

    Road racing in the US is extremely boring, primarily because of the roads, giant, giant roads of mostly safely engineered grades where big groups ride along all day. We don't have the courses that cause groups to splinter, and favor attackers like the roads in Europe do. Watching domestic road racing is like watching the Olympic marathon, maybe worth having on while you vacuum the living room?

    I'd rather watch CX races than XC, I think the level of skill is higher. My favorite though on the dirt is DH and EWC coverage.

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: eugenetsang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    238
    I look forward to July every year, but not for the 4th and bbqs. But rather, it's for the TdF! To be honest, Pro cycling isn't as interesting for me as it was 10-15 years ago... It's loosing its appeal. Don't get me wrong, I still look up YouTube highlights daily... But for the UCI to get me watching 100+ miles a day, that is a lot to ask for.

    Like the other posters have mentioned, I would simply watch the last 30 miles. It's more entertaining for me than wasting an entire day, when the last 10 miles or so is what we're all waiting for...

    On the other hand, I feel Crit racing is surpassing "tour" style racing. Short races but FAST racing. it doesn't matter if you're racing fixies or road bikes... It is certainly entertaining. You get to see you favorite racer, lap after lap... That is not the case if you watch pro cycling (tour style)
    Last edited by eugenetsang; 07-03-2019 at 12:08 PM.

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    Iím an avid cyclist and casual pro cycling fan. I always watch highlights on SteepHill of classics, Giro and Vuelta but I try to watch more of the TDF. The other grand tours are actually as good or better but the TDF is the ďTourĒ! Gotta admit, even though itís not cool I actually look forward to Phil, Bobke and Christian. Miss Paul!

    As far as PED, Iím sure most donít give a Sh$t, and most know that ALL pro money sports are juiced. Heck, most spectators are ďjuiced ď in some form lol!

    One thing I know is that cycling in general is on a big upswing in the US. Every place I visit and in my home town there are more cyclists than ever. My small town has 3 pretty big bike shops and they all are doing better than ever.

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    29
    TDF = Boring AF. No parity at all in the teams. They need to pool the sponsor money and set salary caps to make it competitive or why will anyone want to watch?

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by robm90 View Post
    TDF = Boring AF. No parity at all in the teams. They need to pool the sponsor money and set salary caps to make it competitive or why will anyone want to watch?
    I agree. We have been discussing that very thing in the transfer rumors thread due to rumors that Ineos will likely be signing another group of rising stars this offseason. Itís just silly at this point in my opinion.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nayr497's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,487
    Pretty much reduced to watching highlights at this point. Not interested enough to pay to watch & can't be bothered trying to get a decent feed. Only a few years back I was watching most stages live.

    Oh well. I still ride 7 days a week

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by robm90 View Post
    TDF = Boring AF. No parity at all in the teams. They need to pool the sponsor money and set salary caps to make it competitive or why will anyone want to watch?
    I'd go farther and go with an entire budget cap.

  22. #47
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,139
    TDF = Boring AF. No parity at all in the teams. They need to pool the sponsor money and set salary caps to make it competitive or why will anyone want to watch?
    It is a grand tour. If all you're interested in is the GC or even action...you're watching the wrong thing. If all you want is action action action, get into track.

    Commentators generally do a massive disservice to people's expectations. It is a tour that is a race that is 3,000km long. Every year we get an eye feast of tourism and local culture...so long as NBC (or whatever idiots in the USA are carrying it) don't cut out the actual interesting bit--which they usually neuter mightily and throw up ad-breaks at every scenery shot opportunity.

    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I'd go farther and go with an entire budget cap.
    But then how will Bora and INEOS afford their private dinner/catering truck??
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It is a grand tour. If all you're interested in is the GC or even action...you're watching the wrong thing. If all you want is action action action, get into track.

    Commentators generally do a massive disservice to people's expectations. It is a tour that is a race that is 3,000km long. Every year we get an eye feast of tourism and local culture...so long as NBC (or whatever idiots in the USA are carrying it) don't cut out the actual interesting bit--which they usually neuter mightily and throw up ad-breaks at every scenery shot opportunity.



    But then how will Bora and INEOS afford their private dinner/catering truck??

    The add breaks have gotten insane. Which doesn't help the horrible commentary.

    For the catering budget, not my problem. Actually Bora may be under the budget cap so they may be able to still have theirs. Ineos is spending two to three times what everyone else is spending so it's time to bring them in line.

  24. #49
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,139
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    The add breaks have gotten insane. Which doesn't help the horrible commentary.

    For the catering budget, not my problem.
    Actually Bora may be under the budget cap so they may be able to still have theirs. Ineos is spending two to three times what everyone else is spending so it's time to bring them in line.
    I was only being slightly sarcastic.

    I'm a bit surprised the departements still want to put up with the race. It made sense when the tour was an entire convoy of people/material needing to "rough it" on local hospitality infrastructure, and brought in tourism and more bucks in a day than the rest of the month...But increasingly the racers and team staff have nothing to do with local hospitality, and the TdF itself is increasingly filling air-time about fluff rather than local food/culture/tourism...making the discussion not the country and communities--but the unsuspenseful non-race for the GC, to the exclusion of all else.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I was only being slightly sarcastic.

    I'm a bit surprised the departements still want to put up with the race. It made sense when the tour was an entire convoy of people/material needing to "rough it" on local hospitality infrastructure, and brought in tourism and more bucks in a day than the rest of the month...But increasingly the racers and team staff have nothing to do with local hospitality, and the TdF itself is increasingly filling air-time about fluff rather than local food/culture/tourism...making the discussion not the country and communities--but the unsuspenseful non-race for the GC, to the exclusion of all else.
    I don't think the NBC commentators have a clue about any of that. I'd love a feature on each of those things with someone who actually knows it from each region. It would be a lot better than whatever it is they talk about anyway. The unsuspenseful non race for GC and the green jersey. They also seem to love to talk about Sagan and that as well and that race is even less suspenseful than the GC race. Then of course there's the whole let's ignore everyone who doesn't speak English well, with the exception of Quintana. Why they love pushing him so much, I will never understand. There are plenty of other riders in the peloton. Heck, how about finding out a bit about some of the unknown domestiques. That would be more interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Soma ES Road Sport vs Gunnar Sport
    By blueutopia in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 05:48 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 05:31 PM
  3. kids dying from alcohol poisoning
    By Bocephus Jones in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 03:33 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 07:07 AM
  5. TdF champions dying young
    By Reynolds531 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.