Pro Cyclists and Heart Problems
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Pro Cyclists and Heart Problems

This is like the 5th one of these I have read about in the last year or so. Sad and scary for those of us that ride. I remember when The Haywire Heart was a big talking point. I wonder where doctors are on the issue now?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jim...heart-problem/
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Another sad article/incident from 2018.

https://amp.dw.com/en/michael-goolae...cks/a-43321799

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    JJ Rojas had to have a surgery for some issue with his heart about 3-4 years ago now. Basically it was have the surgery or retire. He did say if he was a top level athlete the issue he had would never have been a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    This is like the 5th one of these I have read about in the last year or so. Sad and scary for those of us that ride. I remember when The Haywire Heart was a big talking point. I wonder where doctors are on the issue now?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jim...heart-problem/
    doctors are probably where they have been for decades: excessive cardio exercise increases the heart; and the more you test people the more problems you will find.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    what makes the evaluation of these athletes difficult is that they don't come in to see a doctor until they notice a problem or sense something is wrong. And even, then some athletes will just it up as a "fatigue" issue and thinking some rest will make the issue go away. The concept of "moderation" is well received with you're young, because when you're young it's "no pain, no gain".

Master debator.
    Back when I was riding a lot more in the early 2000's I discovered I had a-fib. Mostly through fatigue and my heart rate monitor, although back then you could attribute very high heart rates to transmission lines along the road or inadequate lube or inaccuracy, so it was often considered to be the HRM was the problem, not that my heart was actually beating 220 BPM.

I've had 3 ablations to fix it, and I was considered to be completely fixed, except that about 5% of my heart tissue was now dead and not helping as it's scar tissue. I still ride bike, although not 250-300 miles a week anymore. I do run ultra-marathons, which are a different load on the heart and the body, there is rarely any extended zone 5 stuff going on, except in training.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    It's really not that high level cyclists, or other endurance athletes for that matter, have more heart problems than the population at large. What you see happening is those issues being exposed due to the intense activity. It's like a cars engine that has a slight vibration. You could daily drive it for 37 years and never have a problem, but if you tried to race it at redline it wouldn't last very long. Really the lesson here is to have yourself checked out, especially if you notice something odd, even more so as you age. When you get over 40 and have discomfort in your chest after exercise, go see your doc. You're not being silly and you're not being weak. Trust me, it's better than the bad thing happening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Sadly Nicolas Portal has added to the list although whether his fatal heart attack is related to his earlier history of heart arrhythmia isnít yet known

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not just pro cyclists that develop heart issues. I was diagnosed 9 years ago, at the age of 38, of having Athlete's Heart Syndrome. I had been riding and racing bikes since I was 14. I was told that I have an enlarged heart, followed by thickness in my lower left ventricle. The doctor recommended me reducing my riding from 600 miles a week to 200 miles a week. I still race crits, but not as much as I used , and I do you a heart rate monitor. There are so many stories about riders blowing out their hearts. Still the number is miniscule compared to the number of cyclists out there. The internet can be a scary place. If you're looking for something, you will find it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Team Ineos Sport Director Nicolas Portal Dies at Age 40
    The beloved team member passed away suddenly at his home from cardiac arrest on March 3.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3122...director-dies/

Retired in 2010 after cardiac arrhythmia diagnosis.

RIP
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 03-18-2020 at 11:45 AM.