RAAM has started...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,256

    RAAM has started...

    Toughest road race in the world? Maybe. Anyway, RAAM has started. You can check for updates and other info at www.raceacrossamerica.org

    I picked Marko Baloh to win, mostly because he seems to want it the most. He also put in one hell of a performance at the last Furnace Creek 508.

  2. #2
    Do not touch the trim.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    Toughest road race in the world?
    Hardly. I hate to break it to you but any good road pro could come out and train for a few weeks and crush those computer geeks on wheels. Fasching was a decent road pro in Europe and came over and dominated this event.

  3. #3
    I don't exist
    Reputation: HAL9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,029
    Right!.....
    Rocket Sturgeon
    -2B1 Ask 1-
    Fast Stinky Fish
    in KY jelly

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Most boring...

    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    Toughest road race in the world? Maybe. Anyway, RAAM has started. You can check for updates and other info at www.raceacrossamerica.org

    I picked Marko Baloh to win, mostly because he seems to want it the most. He also put in one hell of a performance at the last Furnace Creek 508.
    Most boring road race in the world. RAAM only appeals to about less than 1% or real racing cyclists. Nobody I knows even cares about it, and I know a lot of racers.

  5. #5
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,256
    Lots of hatin' going on here. Am I the only one impressed that these guys will do 350 miles a day for 8 or 9 days? That's pretty freaking hard core.

  6. #6
    Burning Fists of Love
    Reputation: ttug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,899

    Amateur?????????????

    I have ridden and trained with a few RAAM qualifiers, and I hate to be the News Update person here, but for those who insist that a pro could crush these folks you are wrong. Wrong Wrong Wrong.

    Why not find out what you have to do to qualify for RAAM? Why not see how great you could do crossing the US in UNDER 10 days? The only reason these folks stop to rest is that they are delusional and sleep about 3 to 4 hours a day MAX. They AVERAGE 18 mph on 300+ mile days SEVERAL DAYS IN A ROW. Most pros do NOT do that for that length of time on that schedule. They train to race FAR SHORTER distances in A TEAM. The TDF being generous here OK ~2300 miles in A MONTH.

    Endurance riders are highly trained athletes. They DO NOT STOP. They are MACHINES. 18 mph sounds poky right. Do it 19+ hours a day for oh gee, a week and get back to us about those wimpy RAAM folks.

    Here is how you qualify:

    UMCA Policy on Qualifying for RAAM
    Approved by the Board of Directors on March 1, 2004 by a vote of 13-2
    Who must qualify for RAAM
    Solo ultra racers: must meet the qualifying standards in this policy in order to race in RAAM.
    Tandem bicycle racers: at least one of the riders must meet the qualifying standard in this policy in
    order to race in RAAM.
    Relay team racers do not have to qualify in order to race in RAAM.
    Qualifying Races
    The UMCA sanctions three types of RAAM Qualifiers:
    1) RAAM-style qualifiers
    To qualify for solo RAAM, a rider must finish within the specified time of the first not previously
    qualified rider in a division:
    age men women
    <50 115% 115%
    50-59 125% 125%
    60-69 135% 135%
    2) 24 hour qualifiers
    To qualify for solo RAAM, a rider must cover the specified distance within 24 hours.:
    age men women
    <50 425 miles 400 miles
    50-59 400 375
    60-69 375 350
    3) Team RAAM
    Riders who officially finish 4-person, 2-person, or tandem RAAM will be qualified for solo RAAM.
    Other Qualifying Opportunities
    In addition the UMCA recognizes other opportunities to qualify for RAAM:
    4) 1200km randonnées sanctioned by the Randonneurs Mondiaux (RM) or Audax Club Parisien (ACP)
    are drafting events with time limits, rather than non-drafting races. As such, they are neither sanctioned
    by nor supported by the UMCA. However, a 1200K randonnée is a significant test of a rider’s
    fitness and a rider may use an RM/ACP-sanctioned 1200K to qualify for RAAM under the following
    conditions:
    a) the rider is a current, annual member of the UMCA, and
    b) the rider informs the UMCA in writing before the 1200K that the rider intends to use the 1200K
    to attempt to qualify for RAAM, and
    Policy on Qualifying for RAAM, p. 2
    c) the rider finishes within the specified time in a division:
    age men women
    <50 <65 hrs <70 hrs
    50-59 <70 hrs <75 hrs
    60-69 <75 hrs <80 hrs
    5) Individual time trial
    If a rider lives on a continent with no RAAM qualifier, then the rider may qualify by meeting the 24
    hour qualifying standard in an individual time trial officiated by the rider’s national cycling federation.
    6) Invitation of the RAAM director
    Based on a rider’s cycling resume, the RAAM director may issue an invitation to compete in RAAM.
    Duration of qualification
    A rider is eligible to compete in RAAM for the three years following the year in which the rider qualified
    by one of the above methods.
    If a rider is an official finisher of solo RAAM or tandem RAAM, then the rider is qualified for RAAM
    for life.
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Yep...

    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    Lots of hatin' going on here. Am I the only one impressed that these guys will do 350 miles a day for 8 or 9 days? That's pretty freaking hard core.
    I think that you might be the only one impressed with this. I'm not really. Look at the finishing average speeds. 15 mph or so for the entire thing. Yes, they're out there killing it, riding solo through the day and night, and I can respect that, but it's just not interesting to me, or most people I know that race. I'd rather see fast racing instead of someone toddling along at a meager pace for days on end looking at sleep deprivation and delusion while they're out there on the road. It's just stupid to me.

    As for what someone else said about these guys being able to hang with pros. No, not going to happen. Pro road racing, these RAAM guys would get blown out the back of the race. If they could do it, then we'd see these guys dominating competition, but we don't. Why? Because this type of endurance cycling (and to a lesser extent 24 hour races) is a lot different than really racing. If you did take a high level pro road racer, and they trained specifically for RAAM for one year (say after they retire), they would kick everyone else's ass. They have the base mileage, they have the legs, they would just need the specific training for an event of this nature. I point to 24 hour mountain bike racing as an example. When it first started, it was all "hard core" guys who were doing it, and they were winning the races. As time went on, and this type of racing became more popular, a lot of the regular mountain bike racers tried it, and then they started winning. That's the way it remains now. Same thing would happen to RAMM, if anyone cared to do it.

  8. #8
    Burning Fists of Love
    Reputation: ttug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,899

    no

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    I think that you might be the only one impressed with this. I'm not really. Look at the finishing average speeds. 15 mph or so for the entire thing. Yes, they're out there killing it, riding solo through the day and night, and I can respect that, but it's just not interesting to me, or most people I know that race. I'd rather see fast racing instead of someone toddling along at a meager pace for days on end looking at sleep deprivation and delusion while they're out there on the road. It's just stupid to me.

    As for what someone else said about these guys being able to hang with pros. No, not going to happen. Pro road racing, these RAAM guys would get blown out the back of the race. If they could do it, then we'd see these guys dominating competition, but we don't. Why? Because this type of endurance cycling (and to a lesser extent 24 hour races) is a lot different than really racing. If you did take a high level pro road racer, and they trained specifically for RAAM for one year (say after they retire), they would kick everyone else's ass. They have the base mileage, they have the legs, they would just need the specific training for an event of this nature. I point to 24 hour mountain bike racing as an example. When it first started, it was all "hard core" guys who were doing it, and they were winning the races. As time went on, and this type of racing became more popular, a lot of the regular mountain bike racers tried it, and then they started winning. That's the way it remains now. Same thing would happen to RAMM, if anyone cared to do it.
    You cant compare the 2 events/riders as they are TOTALLY different.Its like saying a Track rider is better than another TDF rider. They are 2 freakishly different disciplines.

    RAAM cyclists are incredible athletes and I am lucky to have ridden/trained with them. They have a drive that is beyond anything I have ever seen in any sport.
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    147
    i watched the NBC RAAM special last year and nearly fell asleep. The individual race is like watching paint dry. Sure, they are genuine athletes, and to finish is a remarkable acheiment, but the event is so gruelling that it's a race against yourself rather than against your competitors. About as exciting as watching a spinning class.

    However, I thought the 4 man relay event was very cool, pretty much a sprint across the country. The top two teams were neck and neck the entire way across. It's much more exciting because the racers actually get to recover can maintain peak form all the way across the country.

  10. #10
    It's in the game!
    Reputation: dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    You cant compare the 2 events/riders as they are TOTALLY different.Its like saying a Track rider is better than another TDF rider. They are 2 freakishly different disciplines.

    RAAM cyclists are incredible athletes and I am lucky to have ridden/trained with them. They have a drive that is beyond anything I have ever seen in any sport.
    Yep...2 totally different disciplines. No comparison.

    But! Outdoor magazine put together a panel of experts who rated the RAAM as "The hardest event in the world"

    The details are on this link(see page 2 of the pdf file)

    http://raceacrossamerica.org/files/r...Race-Facts.pdf

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Might be hard...

    Quote Originally Posted by dagger
    Yep...2 totally different disciplines. No comparison.

    But! Outdoor magazine put together a panel of experts who rated the RAAM as "The hardest event in the world"

    The details are on this link(see page 2 of the pdf file)

    http://raceacrossamerica.org/files/r...Race-Facts.pdf
    It might be hard, but it doesn't make it any less boring... Zzzzzz....

  12. #12
    It's in the game!
    Reputation: dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,042

    We appreciate your input

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    It might be hard, but it doesn't make it any less boring... Zzzzzz....
    As we usually appreciate your AS USUAL negative ass opinion which you frequently offer on this forum.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Actually very positive...

    Quote Originally Posted by dagger
    As we usually appreciate your AS USUAL negative ass opinion which you frequently offer on this forum.
    I'm actually very positive on a lot of things. Just not so much about something as boring as RAAM. By the by, I'm not the only one who has contributed to this thread that thinks this race is boring. As usual, you've mis-read my statements as well.

  14. #14
    Burning Fists of Love
    Reputation: ttug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,899

    2 way street of courage

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    It might be hard, but it doesn't make it any less boring... Zzzzzz....
    You must also consider that in certain circles, your cycling ability is also boring at best.

    However, they have the ability, class and talent to move on....
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

  15. #15
    I don't exist
    Reputation: HAL9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,029
    Thanks for saying that
    Rocket Sturgeon
    -2B1 Ask 1-
    Fast Stinky Fish
    in KY jelly

  16. #16
    It's in the game!
    Reputation: dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,042

    LOL...misread?

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    I'm actually very positive on a lot of things. Just not so much about something as boring as RAAM. By the by, I'm not the only one who has contributed to this thread that thinks this race is boring. As usual, you've mis-read my statements as well.
    A guy is interested in this race and wanted to start a conversation and you come in here with NEGATIVE comments:

    1.Most boring road race in the world. (How is this positive?)

    2. Nobody I knows even cares about it, and I know a lot of racers.(The poster who created the topic cares so if you don't care then just keep your mouth shut, sheesh...where's your manners boy?)

    3. I'd rather see fast racing instead of someone toddling along at a meager pace for days on end looking at sleep deprivation and delusion while they're out there on the road. It's just stupid to me.(Wow...this is very optimistic and contributing to this guys topic).

    4. Because this type of endurance cycling (and to a lesser extent 24 hour races) is a lot different than really racing. ( who made you god to say what is racing or not. A race is a contest to see who finishes first...so this is a RACE!!!!!!)

    Your posting is a matter of public record as all your posts can be reviewed.....IF you can't contribute something useful to a topic then have the common decency and keep your mouth shut.

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Ah yes...

    Quote Originally Posted by dagger
    A guy is interested in this race and wanted to start a conversation and you come in here with NEGATIVE comments:

    1.Most boring road race in the world. (How is this positive?)

    2. Nobody I knows even cares about it, and I know a lot of racers.(The poster who created the topic cares so if you don't care then just keep your mouth shut, sheesh...where's your manners boy?)

    3. I'd rather see fast racing instead of someone toddling along at a meager pace for days on end looking at sleep deprivation and delusion while they're out there on the road. It's just stupid to me.(Wow...this is very optimistic and contributing to this guys topic).

    4. Because this type of endurance cycling (and to a lesser extent 24 hour races) is a lot different than really racing. ( who made you god to say what is racing or not. A race is a contest to see who finishes first...so this is a RACE!!!!!!)

    Your posting is a matter of public record as all your posts can be reviewed.....IF you can't contribute something useful to a topic then have the common decency and keep your mouth shut.
    I know, if I can't agree with everything everyone posts I must keep my mouth shut at all times. Sorry, but I just can't do that, as you well know.

    So please, go back, review all of my posts, and you'll see that the following is true:

    1. Lots of times, I'm very positive about a lot of different things, and I can honestly say that I think I've given out some good advice over the past year or so that I've been posting in here. Yeah, sometimes I'm sarcastic and a wise arse, but who isn't?

    2. You have a penchant for attacking whatever I write on here, so it doesn't matter what I write, you seem to have a personal problem with it.

    3. If I think something is boring, such as RAAM, then I can say that. It's a public forum by the by, and if someone else wants to do something or write something to refute that, then that's fine. Everyone gets a say don't they? I haven't seen you write anything to refute that RAAM is boring. You just keep telling me to shut my mouth. Not going to happen.

    4. I was stating my opinion about RAAM before, and my opinion, remains the same. It's boring. It would be like standing on the side of the road near where you live waiting for a single lone rider to come by. How is that NOT boring? Boring for the people doing it? I hardly doubt it. Boring for the cycle sport fan in general? I'm betting an overwhelming yes would be a result if a poll were taken.

    Sorry if we don't think alike. That just happens sometimes in life that people are going to have differing opinions than yourself. Should you tell them to shut their mouth? I don't. Well, there was the question I posed about a moratorium on Lance posts until the Tour started, but that didn't stop anyone from saying anything did it? Nah...

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    I'll be the first to tell you...

    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    You must also consider that in certain circles, your cycling ability is also boring at best.

    However, they have the ability, class and talent to move on....
    I'll be the first person to tell you that my cycling ability, is mediocre, at best.. ;-)

  19. #19
    Burning Fists of Love
    Reputation: ttug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,899

    good for you

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    I'll be the first person to tell you that my cycling ability, is mediocre, at best.. ;-)

    We can only hope that you can recall that this ability only works on yourself, and not others who have actually demonstrated talent. ;)
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    Such as?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    We can only hope that you can recall that this ability only works on yourself, and not others who have actually demonstrated talent. ;)
    Such as??

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    773
    it seems pple are confused.

    RAAM is a tough race. Yes it's boring to watch. It's just a race about survival. Just because it's boring doesnt make it any less attractive than the TdF or some other pro race. If there are people who can do things at a level which I cannot, then I am more than interested in their abilities and capabilities.
    Last edited by wzq622; 06-20-2005 at 10:00 AM.

  22. #22
    Burning Fists of Love
    Reputation: ttug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,899

    well said

    Quote Originally Posted by wzq622
    it seems pple are confused.

    RAAM is a tough race. Yes it's boring to watch. It's just a race about survival. Just because it's boring doesnt make it any less attractive than the TdF or some other pro race. If there are people who can do things at a level which I cannot, then I am more than interested in their abilities and capabilities.
    That would be a "correct o mundo" per the Fonz anyway....
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

  23. #23

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,387

    This...

    Quote Originally Posted by wzq622
    it seems pple are confused.

    RAAM is a tough race. Yes it's boring to watch. It's just a race about survival. Just because it's boring doesnt make it any less attractive than the TdF or some other pro race. If there are people who can do things at a level which I cannot, then I am more than interested in their abilities and capabilities.
    This I can understand, and I can respect the abilities of these men and women to suffer. I think the boring part does make it less attractive to most people and sponsors in general, because it's not something that is going to garner attention. I do believe that races such as these are more about personal survival and seeing how much you can push yourself. Just because someone can do something that I can't, doesn't make me any more or less interested in what they are doing.

  24. #24
    It's in the game!
    Reputation: dagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,042

    Thumbs up Now that's good stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    This I can understand, and I can respect the abilities of these men and women to suffer. I think the boring part does make it less attractive to most people and sponsors in general, because it's not something that is going to garner attention. I do believe that races such as these are more about personal survival and seeing how much you can push yourself. Just because someone can do something that I can't, doesn't make me any more or less interested in what they are doing.
    This is more appropiate than "Who cares".

  25. #25
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,256
    Quote Originally Posted by wzq622
    it seems pple are confused.

    RAAM is a tough race. Yes it's boring to watch. It's just a race about survival. Just because it's boring doesnt make it any less attractive than the TdF or some other pro race. If there are people who can do things at a level which I cannot, then I am more than interested in their abilities and capabilities.
    Ding! wzq622 has hit the nail on the head. I love cycling. I love cycling races. However not even I want to sit and watch a 5 hour stage on the Giro/Vuelta/Tour. Give me the last two hours or so when things get interesting.

    Same thing with RAAM. I'm interested in it as a whole. Of course it will be boring as hell to actually watch large portions of it. It's 9 days long for crying out loud!

    As a veteran of many centuries, I can't imagine doing what they do any more than I can imagine riding up Alp d'huez in 39 minutes.

    Also, no offense taken by anyone's opinion. I don't think magnolia was being rude. I can see his points...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RAAM Coverage-opinions sought
    By x-wing fighter in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 05:58 AM
  2. when I first started riding...
    By Rthur2sheds in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 10:29 AM
  3. What Doping Can Do For You
    By Gripped in forum The Doping Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 10:23 PM
  4. Getting started
    By SPINDAWG in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 12:38 PM
  5. Need Help Quickly - Removing Pedals
    By LSchoux in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 04:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.