Races are back, but for how long
    RoadBikeReview Member

Races are back, but for how long

So we do have racing back, but the question is for how long. They've already had a few scares at Burgos. My guess is we may get through August, but will be lucky to get much past August for races.

Proud luddite
    I donít see how itís going to work with dozens of riders in a peloton, breathing in each others vapor. I think pulling off the classics and grand tours is a pipe dream. As much as I hate to say it, they should call it quits for racing in 2020 and hope conditions are better in 2021.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't see how the riders, especially on the climbs, won't be at risk of exposure. Unless they ban fans completely, they will be going through so many fans, thousands of them close enough to touch the riders, all yelling encouragement at them while they are gasping for air. We could have a guy leading one day, test positive for COVID, then he's out the next. It's crazy. I think it'll be difficult to pull off a legitimate grand tour. I do hope they complete all the classics though!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    2 schools that opened for the first day, had positive cases. Hoping they will fiinish a multiday/multistage/multicountry bike race is a pipe dream. Thanks, R's.

Are there even any USA competitors? I don't think they are allowed to travel into those other countries.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indiana...test-positive/
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    They could have a in-race competition for the highest placed COVID positive rider. They would get a black leader's jersey. All COVID riders have to wear masks while riding. They would be allowed to remove the masks and cough on the drunken a-holes in Speedos that get too close and try to get their 10 seconds of fame on camera. I would watch that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    2 schools that opened for the first day, had positive cases. Hoping they will fiinish a multiday/multistage/multicountry bike race is a pipe dream. Thanks, R's.

Are there even any USA competitors? I don't think they are allowed to travel into those other countries.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indiana...test-positive/
    Well we did complete Burgos (which is a multi day stage race in Spain). There are Americans over there who are or will be competing. A few (I think Sepp Kuss was one) stayed in Europe during the shut down. Then a bunch flew back before the ban went into place. Also those who have residences in Europe could fly back which most do have homes over there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    They could have a in-race competition for the highest placed COVID positive rider. They would get a black leader's jersey. All COVID riders have to wear masks while riding. They would be allowed to remove the masks and cough on the drunken a-holes in Speedos that get too close and try to get their 10 seconds of fame on camera. I would watch that.
    Good idea, think it'll make the polka dot mask a little more prestigious.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Darling of The Lounge
    I can't wait to feast my eyes on the podium nurses this year!

It's best to put the 2020 racing calendar in the bio-hazard dumpster and plan for 2021 to resume racing.