RBR TdF 2016 Predictions: post by start time 2016
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Hello, everyone. Since we are all so smart about road racing, let's show it off: post your predictions before start time for the 2016 Tour de France. Talk is cheap. Can you call it a month before the final stage? A year?

At the end of the 2016 TdF, I will review how well we did. Historically, we have been pretty lousy, with some moments of brilliance.

Once the 2016 schedule is announced, I will note the deadline for posting predictions. Bon chance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yellow/Podium/GC: call first, or try first, second, or third
    Green/points
    Polka-Dot/climber
    White/youth
    Red/combatif
    Team

Lantern Rouge
    DNF
    Brown/Douche
    Honorable Mention

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yellow: LA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bump. First day is July 2. I cannot yet find start time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I'll wait for a start list before making predictions.

Where's that GPS?
    Very tempted - but will wait a bit like KoroninK.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    We can probably just go ahead and mark Sagan for the points jersey, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Watching the Dauphine was interesting, Froome and his team looked strong and they may have the best "program" of all the teams. Think Quintana will podium barring any crash or health issues. Astana has one of the better "programs" and Aru can be dangerous if he peaks for this race. I haven't seen any official roster but assuming Kittel is in he should dominate sprints. If Sagan is in I agree he will top the points. I like Contador but doubt the strength of his team and his ability to drop the field.

1st - Chris Froome
    2nd - Nairo Quintana
    3rd - Fabio Aru

Green Jersey - Sagan
    Best tactical racing skills for stage win - Steve Cummings
    Long shot that could crash everyone's party - Dan Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    1st place: Quintana
    2nd: Froome
    3rd: Pinot

Green Jersey: Kittel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yellow/Podium/GC: 1Froome 2Contador 3 Quintana
    Green/points Sagan
    Polka-Dot/climber Bardet
    White/youth ???
    Red/combatif Pinot
    Team Sky

Lantern Rouge Greipel? lol who knows
    DNF Kittel
    Brown/Douche - LA
    Honorable Mention - Porte

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Based on today's Suisse results:
    Sagan
    Sagan
    Sagan
    not Sagan
    Sagan
    Sagan's team

Matnlely Dregaend
    I predict no one gets caught doping. Because they can't lose any more sponsors.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    LOL, this thread was started at the end of last years tour - that there is some really proactive thinking.
    Speaking of thinking, I will need to do some more before posting my expectations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Just reaffirming Quintana for Yellow Jersey. Just won Route du Sud. Right now no one can hang with him in the mountains if he is in form not even Froome. He also has improved his TT. I will go out and say he will win in record fashion surprising everyone. Contador's time has past, TJ will never win it he faults to much during high pressure situations, Froome doesn't have same team especially Porte who was instrumental in helping him win last year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast2wheeler View Post
    Just reaffirming Quintana for Yellow Jersey. Just won Route du Sud. Right now no one can hang with him in the mountains if he is in form not even Froome. He also has improved his TT. I will go out and say he will win in record fashion surprising everyone. Contador's time has past, TJ will never win it he faults to much during high pressure situations, Froome doesn't have same team especially Porte who was instrumental in helping him win last year.
    This is persuasive, but I don't quite see how Contador's time has passed.

Last year, he rode well enough to be in top ten, and that was after GdItalia win.

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    This is persuasive, but I don't quite see how Contador's time has passed.

Last year, he rode well enough to be in top ten, and that was after GdItalia win.
    It seems that Contador has lost some of his TTing ability and isn't quite as explosive on climbs. Perhaps if he had a team as good as Sky's, he would have a shot at the top step, but he doesn't. He needs to have good luck while Froome and Quintana , it seems to me, needs to have some bad luck, for Alberto to that the top step.

I would pick Contador to podium, but he doesn't seem interest in the podium unless it's for first place. What sayeth the board?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure on what Contador's form or team is like this year. He did look worn out last year. Can he podium? I doubt it, but if he can be aggressive like in the past it sure will make for some interesting racing!
    I think it will be:
    Quintana
    Froome
    Bardet
    Sagan in green (Yep, call me Nostradamus!)
    If Q can get an ounce of Contador's aggressiveness in the mountains, it is his to take.
    Froome will be a target this year with everyone taking shots in the steeps. He doesn't have Porte to grind him up a mountain this year, in fact I think Richie will grind him out on at least one stage this year!
    I think the Porte/TGV dynamic will be very interesting to watch!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    It seems that Contador has lost some of his TTing ability and isn't quite as explosive on climbs. Perhaps if he had a team as good as Sky's, he would have a shot at the top step, but he doesn't. He needs to have good luck while Froome and Quintana , it seems to me, needs to have some bad luck, for Alberto to that the top step.

I would pick Contador to podium, but he doesn't seem interest in the podium unless it's for first place. What sayeth the board?
    Didn't Alberto smoke everyone in the Dauphine TT?

I agree with you on his lack of explosiveness on the climbs but like you said he doesn't have Froome's team and he doesn't have their "Program".

Just read latest interview with Nairo and he seems like he really wants to win but talks about protecting himself from attacks by Froome and Contador. I doubt thats a winning strategy, but what do I know. Froome has the team to keep the pressure on and he attacks at the right time. Sky has the best "nutrition/supplementation program" so they get the gains but don't get caught - that's how you win a bike race, but what do I know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Contador doesn't have a strong team again this year, yet he still "broke" Sky at the Dauphine. That would leave you to believe a stronger team like Movistar should be able to break Sky, thus isolating Froome more often this year. Quintana, obviously will have a strong team. Quintana's biggest issue may just be the fact that Movistar races exceptionally conservatively, which has worked in the past with their top riders over the years, Valverde is notoriously conservative in how he races, but he also has his sprint that he prefers to rely on to win stages and classics. Quintana can't race the same way, he has to be more aggresive. The Dynamic at BMC with Porte and VanGardern will be interesting to watch how that plays out. Two team leaders usually does not work, and BMC may be playing with fire on this one. Movistar has proben it can work, but it takes the right set of circumstances, with the right two riders, the right personalities, the right temperments, the right the differences in abilities and very possibly the right age differences as well. (I'll do actual predictions once the teams release their rosters for the Tour). (I'm more confident picking the podium for the Olympics without full rosters than anything with the Tour.)

Where's that GPS?
    Okay, here goes:

Yellow/Podium/GC: call first, or try first, second, or third:
    1) Froome
    2) Quintana
    3) Valverde

Green/points: Sagan

Polka-Dot/climber: Majka

White/youth: Holst Enger

Red/combatif: Contador

Team: Movistar

Lantern Rouge: Schleck

DNF: Cavendish

Brown/Douche: Sky

Honorable Mention: Porte
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

Man, I'm Awesome
    Yellow: Tee Jay Vangarderen....lol just kidding. He's going withdraw after the second mountain stage, or the first day it rains.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Start times have been posted! While everyone knows the show really starts in the dressing room, official start time for Stage 1, at Mont-St. Michel Saturday July 02, is noted as 12:20pm Paris Time (I assume), which is Central Europe Time, one hour "before" Greenwich Mean Time (Coordinated Universal Time 0). This start time translates to:
    6:20 am Eastern,
    5:20am Central,
    4:20AM Mountain,
    3:20am Left Coast.

So, get your predictions posted before 6:20AM Eastern Time!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Anybody know channels showing in US. Day and evening times. Have to watch Ask Bobke in the evening.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    NBC Sports Channel. Stage 1 at o dark thirty.

Never Give Up!
    I'll play:

1st - Nairo Quintana
    2nd - Chris Froome
    3rd - Fabio Aru

Green Jersey - Peter Sagan
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast