Roubaix - Spoilers Allowed
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

What a race! Really the first I have watched this year for a number of reasons. Gilbert has to go down on the short list of the greatest racers of all time with what he accomplished in 2011 and now with four Monuments. Great riding! Quite the debut for Specialized’s new Roubaix as well. Long live the Classics!
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I was really pulling for Wout van Aert. What a string of bad luck he endured but stayed in it for so long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I was really pulling for Wout van Aert. What a string of bad luck he endured but stayed in it for so long.
    Yeah, that poor guy had the worst race ever, but showed so much guts pushing himself as far as he did. He should be one for the future for sure.

What the what???

Sad to see Sagan fade the way he did. Yeah, van Aert deserves some kind of “Hard Man of the Cobbles” award.

Btw, wtf happened to Taylor Phinney? By the side of the road with a mechanical and the team car doesn’t see him??? I’d like to have heard the post-race conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 1 Week Ago at 02:29 PM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    4 out of 5 Monuments in the bag for Gilbert, a most impressive feat. I predict he will be riding Milan-San Remo next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very happy for Gilbert. Now he has maybe 2-3 more attempts at Milan-San Remo. He's apparently said it's very unlikely he'll race past 38 years old. I expect to see him target MSR the next two season to try to win all 5 monuments. Even if he doesn't get it, 4 different monuments plus the Worlds is impressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Sad to see Sagan fade the way he did. Yeah, van Aert deserves some kind of “Hard Man of the Cobbles” award.

Btw, wtf happened to Taylor Phinney? By the side of the road with a mechanical and the team car doesn’t see him??? I’d like to have heard the post-race conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bora's tactics have been a bit questionable in execution it seems, at least from the outside looking in. But Sagan definitely doesn't look like himself. Wonder if his recent divorce is playing a role here, too. Life gets in the way...

In contrast, DQS's tactics have been outstanding this year. Lampert and Gilbert played that breakaway move perfectly, kudos to them.
    Last edited by Wetworks; 1 Week Ago at 05:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, Sagan definitely appears to be lacking something so far this season. He has had bad Springs before, so maybe he will pull it together by grand tour season. Hey, a messy divorce or an unwanted one, can certainly mess with the best of us and throw off the old mojo for some time. I definitely wouldn’t rule that out as a result. Looking forward to seeing where everyone is performance wise for the Ardennes. If he is fully recovered, Alaphillipe could be a handful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Yeah, Sagan definitely appears to be lacking something so far this season. He has had bad Springs before, so maybe he will pull it together by grand tour season. Hey, a messy divorce or an unwanted one, can certainly mess with the best of us and throw off the old mojo for some time. I definitely wouldn’t rule that out as a result. Looking forward to seeing where everyone is performance wise for the Ardennes. If he is fully recovered, Alaphillipe could be a handful.
    Sagan and Valverde are both off just a little this spring, although for very different reasons. I would be surprised if Sagan's divorce is part of why he's been off. Valverde, I'm sure it's more finally getting the one win he's wanted since he was a young child. Back to Sagan, if it is the divorce, wonder if maybe he should go talk with Valverde. Valverde went through a nasty divorce at about the same age Sagan is going through his and also had young children involved. His twins were infants at the time.

The Ardennes will be interesting this year.