Stage Win vs. High GC Ranking, Which One Would You Choose?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Stage Win vs. High GC Ranking, Which One Would You Choose?

Let's say you get to ride in one grand tour or major stage race. It's clear you aren't going to win the overall, but you have the stuff to probably crack the top ten of the GC if you really fight for it or you can hunt for a stage win or two. Which would you choose and why? Let's say you don't have the strength or the team to do both. You have to choose one. What say you?

Grand tour calculus: Stage wins vs. GC standings | VeloNews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Devoid of all flim-flam
    High overall. Even if it means I may not get a big lipstick mark from a podium girl.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which team am I racing for? That would factor into the decision as well. If I'm at Movistar then a high GC would be more important, esp if it can be a top 5. If I'm at say Quickstep I'd go for the stage win. However, the type of rider I would be a high GC in a Grand Tour would never happen so I'd definitely be stage hunting if I had the freedom to do that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Whichever team you like. I think I am more in the stage win camp. I think I agree with the high GC finish being a sign that you were more consistent and stronger overall, but I would probably be drawn to the idea of actually winning something. The stage win allows you to be the winner on that day while the top 10 GC only feels like you were just really solid for three weeks.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-15-2017 at 04:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since I'd be more of a Cancellara type rider I'd be winning a time trial or prologue not even a regular stage anyway. So I'll just go to Movistar as one of their domestiques and win the time trails and let them figure out who the leader is I'm working for. Hmmmm.....guess I could have the team for the cobbled classics unless Valverde ever gets around to deciding he actually wants to race those. LOL But I'd never be a GC rider. I'm definitely not a climber, don't have the body type for that.
    Just one request, no podium girls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stage Win. I would wear the jersey like all the time. Grocery store, work, the clubs,...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd take a stage win.

don't really care about being no. 4, 5, 6, 7 in GC...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Let's say you get to ride in one grand tour or major stage race. It's clear you aren't going to win the overall, but you have the stuff to probably crack the top ten of the GC if you really fight for it or you can hunt for a stage win or two. Which would you choose and why? Let's say you don't have the strength or the team to do both. You have to choose one. What say you?

Grand tour calculus: Stage wins vs. GC standings | VeloNews.com
    I'd be ecstatic just to have either as a real option. Given the choice I'd pick GC. Being in the top 10 is still a pretty elite group

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Positions six through ten are valued by the "inside basebal" types, but not as much by public methinks. Top five gets people's attention as well as some contract money. Colored jerseys, even moreso. However when I think about riders palmares, it's stage wins that come to mind, and I would value one above a top six -ten in a GT.

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    Stage Win. I would wear the jersey like all the time. Grocery store, work, the clubs,...

What jersey?
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Movistar will talk about GC top 10s in reference to Valverde as more of proof of how consistent of a rider he's been over the years. Of the Grand Tours he has finished he has only finished outside of the top 10 twice. Once was the first Tour he raced after his doping ban. He finished 20th. The other was last year in the Vuelta when it was his 3rd GT of the season and 5th straight GT. So yes teams do pay attention to top 10s in GC.
    Since I'd be more of time trialist than anything else it's highly unlikely I'd be winning anything that isn't a time trial stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg View Post
    What jersey?
    in a grand tour, each day's stage winner gets that day's jersey.

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    Positions six through ten are valued by the "inside basebal" types, but not as much by public methinks. Top five gets people's attention as well as some contract money. Colored jerseys, even moreso. However when I think about riders palmares, it's stage wins that come to mind, and I would value one above a top six -ten in a GT.
    Bingo!!! Stage wins are listed or touted first!!! More people will remember Kittel's stage wins than Landa's fourth place.. Sad but true!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Bingo!!! Stage wins are listed or touted first!!! More people will remember Kittel's stage wins than Landa's fourth place.. Sad but true!!!
    Amen. This is where I am at as well, but I understand that it's not exactly easy to finish top 10 GC by staying strong and consistent for three weeks and a variety of stage layouts. I just want to win something though!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stage jerseys are full-zip, so you can show off a gold chain and let your chest hair hang out when you are trying to impress the females.

Where's that GPS?
    Stage Win(s) - all the bleeding way!

If you can't get the big prize - go for the glory of a Stage Win - it might be the highlight of your career.

Nobody cares who came in Second, Third etc. in a GT - but an impressive stage win will remain in the hearts and minds of the tilfosi for years to come.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    From a purely personal standpoint I'd want the GC standing. Stage wins seem to me to have a hint of luck involved. And I know the phrase, "I'd rather be lucky than good," but my personality leans towards knowing I'm doing well constantly and consistently. I'd be harder on myself with a set of feast or famine results.

But I also know things like that don't exist in a vacuum. If it's your career and you need the right contract or the right team or the right role then a stage win holds more mindshare for negotiations.

So to make a long story short, I'd like to start with a stage win and parlay that into positioning myself for upper GC standings.