Super Early 2020 World Tour Thoughts
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Super Early 2020 World Tour Thoughts

1.) Ineos will be ridiculously strong again. They are adding talent to an already stacked team and should have a healthy Froome again. Who knows what he will look like next year though given how serious his injuries were. Does that even matter though with this roster?

2.) Jumbo Visma could be their biggest rivals. They are rumored to be adding Dumoulin to an already talented collection of climbers. They found their way to the podium in this yearís TdF and there could be more to come. Van Aert appears to be a Classics and one week stage racing star in the making and the roster looks deep. They are also reportedly taking a close look at Kittel. Not sure that would be wise.

3.) While it took some time to adjust to the idea, I really like Ewan on Lotto Soudal. He had a good year this year, capping it off with three TdF stage wins, including the finale. I feel like he could have an even bigger year next year. Heís only 25, the team is rumored to be adding reinforcements and experienced winners like Degenkolb and Gilbert, and it doesnít really focus on GC. Itís seems like the perfect environment for a young sprinter to thrive in. I like Lambrecht too. These guys could be a lot of fun when it comes to stage hunting, break always, classics, and sprints.

4.) It will be interesting to see the first steps Bahrain Merida takes toward becoming Ineos 2.0. They have the resources to take a similar approach and have given McLaren a bigger role on the tech and development side. It should be entertaining to watch who they sign and what they do to improve in the post Nibali era for them as he moves to Trek. It will also be interesting to see what they do with Dennis after his TdF fiasco.

5.) EF is quietly building a nice group of talent that can actually challenge to win races and stages. I think they continue on that path, but I donít know that will surprise anyone at a monument again anytime soon.

6.) Speaking of things happening quietly, Remco Evenpoel looks every bit as advertised. I donít know how Quickstep keeps doing this with a limited budget, but they clearly have another young star to add to Alaphilippe. I think the rumored losses of Mas and Viviani will hurt more than they realize, but I wonít be surprised if they unearth some young climbing and sprinting prodigies to replace them.

7. I am over Trek and Dimension Data and thatís all that really needs to be said. I guess I will add that I hope Nibali pans out for Trek and that they donít waste the young climbing talent they have by building teams around legends at the end of their careers.

8. Will Katusha and Dimension Data even survive until 2020? They had horrible seasons, paying the price for investing big bucks in aging sprinters and their sprint trains that didnít produce many results. Sponsors have reportedly been asking tough questions and in a sport that is really unstable on the financial side of things, they could easily be in big trouble. I hope they both find a way to make it work, but they may not.

9. Movistar is poised for a complete rebuild. Enric Mas is supposed to be part of their plans and it sounds like Landa may be too. That sounds like a solid nucleus if true. If they can put the right talent around those guys and keep them healthy, they can win some bike races.

10. Will UAE ever be anything more than a place where talented riders go to watch their careers fall apart. Dan Martin, Gaviria, Aru, and Kristoff all took steps backwards after joining the team. Now Martin appears to be criticizing the teamís approach. Not good. Hopefully they figure something out.

11. I expect the status quo to remain at Bora and Mitchelton-Scott and they should be elated. Both teams are great at what they focus on. Hopefully Sagan has a better Classics season next year and we get to see Simon target the TdF with a full team dedicated to him, but both squads are in a good place.

12. I am not sure what happens to Sunweb if they let Dumoulin leave. They should have money to spend, but they wonít likely have a top 5 GC talent as things stand right now. Not sure what that means they do since Bling Mathews is so inconsistent.

What say you? What are you thinking about 2020 as 2019 winds down (still looking forward to Il Lombardia btw)?
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 07-28-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Egar the 5'9" mountain climbing stallion = the 2nd coming of 5' 9" Contador.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I could see that. He certainly has the potential. The guy looks amazing.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...