TdF '20 Stage 1 Discussion Thread. Sat Aug 29. Spoiler Alert.
    banned

Opening Stage is a 90-miler around the Nice countryside, with a few modest climbs, including one right off the bat. This should break up the pack a bit. However, after the final climb, there remains 20 miles to the finish. So, sprinters looking for a stage can bunch up front, likely with small time gaps, and the peloton right behind them. Looks like a low likelihood of a breakaway surviving. Or even forming for any longer than it takes to grab some mountain points.

The end looks like a hard right turn at 3.5 miles, and a really straight run-in, along the Med, to the finish on a roomy boulevard.

Weather calls for temps in the 80s, with a chance of a thunderstorm along the way, and a modest cross wind at the finish, although the wind always seems stronger right on the water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For the break it's likely a day for someone looking for the KOM jersey who isn't a great climber, but it would help the team. Not great climber, as in unlikely to hold once they get to the big mountains.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Given COVID cases popping up in the Department of the grand depart...there's a chance the whole thing might have the brakes put on:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...depart-in-nice
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

banned

first day jitters...

People talk about first day jitters.

Maybe that. But the rain sure made today an ugly first day.

Among all the riders who "touched down," Degenkolb hit his knees hard, was in great pain, could not be within the time frame for finishing, so he is lantern-rouged out. Likely he knew that was where his condition was at as he tried to get rolling again.

I had noted the rain, but not made too much of it. It obviously was a big factor. Fortunately the riders in general went a bit easy. A lot of opportunity is up for grabs tomorrow - hopefully there will be fewer spills!

flinty-eyed moderator
    Bob Roll continues to be wrong alot:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/luk...pretty-stupid/

I miss Paul. . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Bob Roll continues to be wrong alot:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/luk...pretty-stupid/

I miss Paul. . .
    I'd like a fully new booth team.

Back to the stage:
    I've read a lot of comments from riders (as well as other members of teams) that the roads were a big skating rink. Just glad that it appears most riders who went down didn't get too badly injured.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    So Bob said something today that I was wondering about: They were talking about a Cat 3 climb that Bob said would be classified as a Cat 2 climb had it occurred later in the race. I believe is was the Col de la Faye.

I thought that the climbs were categorized as stand alone climbs. For example, if you look on Strava you can find climb classifications from 4 through HC if you explore segments. I reckon Strava just gets this info from someplace else so I'm not pushing Strava forwards as the final word on this but....

Can someone else shed some light on this? Is Bob right?
    Last edited by dcb; 08-31-2020 at 02:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    So Bob said something today that I was wondering about: They were talking about a Cat 3 climb that Bob said would be classified as a Cat 2 climb had it occurred later in the race. I believe is was the Col de la Faye.

I thought that the climbs were categorized as stand alone climbs. For example, if you look on Strava you can find climb classifications from 4 through HC if you explore segments. I reckon Strava just gets this info from someplace else so I'm not pushing Strava forwards as the final word on this but....

Can someone else shed some light on this? Is Bob right?
    That was my understanding in general as well. The major exception being la Vuelta and more due to things that Spaniards (including some of the guys in the peloton have said). La Vuelta is known for classifying some climbs at lower numbers than they should be or just not bothering to even classify some that should be. However it wouldn't matter where in the race those climbs are. The reason they do it is to try to not scare off too many riders.