TDF annoys me

Thread: TDF annoys me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

TDF annoys me

What is with all this sportsmanship crap? This is a race!!!! Leave that ugly Wiggins in your dust and go win you skinny wimps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So...if this was football and a guy was running down the sideline for a TD and the win and a defender has the angle to cut him off and win the game...but the defender is tackled/interfered with from a fan out of the stands...should the TD count?

No...it shouldn't.

It was the right thing to do...Anything else would have been a "Dick" move and they would have been punished down the line with a quick line change putting them on the pavement.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

Milk was a bad choice.
    Or you could let the race be decided on the road based on who is better, rather than letting it be decided by some teenagers who threw tacks on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure, it's a race, but it also is known as a gentleman's competition. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    What is with all this sportsmanship crap? This is a race!!!! Leave that ugly Wiggins in your dust and go win you skinny wimps.
    you sir clearly dont understand pro racing . and you just won stoopidest comment of the day congrats sir.
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

Seat's not level
    If you don't like it start your own cycling league and your own series of tours.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I guess that's how you see the world. Sorry to hear that.
    Blows your hair back.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    Sure, it's a race, but it also is known as a gentleman's competition. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
    This. I take it the OP never waves at anyone or helps anyone at the side of the road.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Troll.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011

Got Flats?

There is a Spanish rider who kept the gas on during TDF a mechanical issue. The bad sportsman reputation would follow him for awhile if he had not later been busted eating steak.
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    This. I take it the OP never waves at anyone or helps anyone at the side of the road.
    This.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by tetter View Post
    you sir clearly dont understand pro racing . and you just won stoopidest comment of the day congrats sir.
    You must not have seen this.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/gen...nd-285245.html

Rare to take both gold and silver on the podium of stupidity.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Put it this way, when the track at Daytona started to rip up, the race officials stopped the race. If the lights in a NFL stadium were to go out during a night game even if in mid play, mid most amazing catch and run into the end zone, the officials would stop the play and the game. The NBA stops the game when the backboard breaks because not doing so would give an unfair advantage to one of the teams. In the tour and most cycling, the riders police themselves as much as the officials.

By sitting up and then chasing the dolt who didn't sit up, the riders made sure that no one received an unfair advantage from outside conditions--tacks, the lack of lights, racing surface breaking, etc. that are beyond the norm.

This wasn't a crash or another incident that is part of racing. This was an event that the riders who flatted had no control over whatsoever. You can't say well, they should have been up front to avoid a crash, or well, he overcooked the corner, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesb321 View Post
    There is a Spanish rider who kept the gas on during TDF a mechanical issue. The bad sportsman reputation would follow him for awhile if he had not
    later been busted eating steak.
    LOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Is it my imagination, or has the number of ridiculous, "I hate (fill in the blank)" thread topics this year started by whining twelve year olds, exceeded that of years past?

Good Person
    Though the expectations get carried away at times, in this unique sport that requires opposing teams to cooperate to function properly, sportsmanship is in fact woven into the fabric of this sport and can serve tactical purpose as well.

There are a lot of people who criticize tactics and just want to see the riders duke it out in a giant melee of uncoordinated brutality. They forget that this is a gentleman's sport that requires riders to ride together in unison for incredible distances, sometimes for weeks. This is cycling, not roller derby.
    I like when you get to that point and I donít know if itís the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youíre so far from where you started, that youíre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    How about an X-Games TDF?

Do it on las vegas near the eiphel tower. Take this genius gem of a tack idea...theres a phone in vote for the spectators to deploy the Tackotron during the event.

Track is figure 8 and no longer than 200 yards circuit for the spectators.

Sponsor stipulated rule, each ride must stop and drink a litre of monster energy every lap on camera (and look happy about it) and then set off again for the next lap.

Riders must do a skid in the skid zone every lap

Helmets fitted with a massive flat peak

8 laps.

20 rounds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    It's funny how people see the world so differently. Call me overly emotional if you will, but I actually got a lump in my throat when the group backed off on the pace long enough for Cadel to catch up. A wonderful show of genuine sportsmanship, something all too often missing from all sports. Still not sure I am a Wiggins fan, but my respect for him went to a much higher level during today's stage.
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 07-15-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Honey Smack!
    Gotta love the Pro-Cycling forum in July...
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesb321 View Post
    There is a Spanish rider who kept the gas on during TDF a mechanical issue. The bad sportsman reputation would follow him for awhile if he had not later been busted eating steak.
    I believe Claudio Ciapuci (sp?) did this in the 1990 Tour to Greg LeMond. Greg straightened him out.
    My 1996 Miata is my other "road bike"

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    @ mariomal99,

Love the picture bro! I personally can't wait for his return to the big show.
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Wiggins? Shouldn't it be Cadel?