RoadBikeReview Member

TDF stages 6 and 7

First two semi sort of hilly stages.

Sagan and Colbrelii 1-2 in the first.

Dan Martin attacks from a good ways out to win 7 and Latour attacks for a bit closer to get 2nd.

What we've also learned is that Movistar still has not learned to pay attention as the only rider of theirs to not get caught out by the crosswinds was Valverde. They also can't help put him in any sort of decent position to even have a realist chance to win one of these stages. To add to the drama over there apparently 2 days ago their DS made some comment that Quintana is their only race leader and today he's denied ever saying that or anything at all about their leaders and they definitely have 3 leaders. What many are thinking is that he actually did say that, but was saying it more to try to appease a large group of Quintana fans who aren't happy that there are 3 leaders in that team. One note, if you truly want to know what is going on in that team go talk to either Mr Unzue or Valverde, they're the ones that actually know what's going on. When they do talk listen very closely to what they say, how they say it and what they do not say. As for leadership the closest thing to what the actuallity is is likely to be a comment from Valverde in the press conference. He said that there are 2 race leaders (Landa and Quintana) and 1 team leader (Valverde). He also said that Landa and Quintana are options 1A and 1B, while he's the fall back option and must remain as close to the GC lead as possible for the just in case it falls to him.

Other interesting notes from stage 7. Nibali like Valverde didn't get caught out by the crosswinds, but the rest of his team did as well. Sagan appeared to be riding for Mijka to make sure he didn't loose GC time. Oh and somehow Phil and Paul have managed to give Valverde an extra win this year. They said he has 12. He has 11, which matched the win total he had last year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    At this point in the TdF, Moviestar is looking more like a team that can only hunt for stages, and their best chances would be to hunt for punchy stages with Valverde. I don't think Quintana is a consistent GC contender, Quintana can brilliant in one race, then disappear in the next, he needs better doping program!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stage 7 was a snoozer. None of the riders looked interested until about 6k out.

Really looking forward to the chaos I hope will ensue on stage 9.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    At this point in the TdF, Moviestar is looking more like a team that can only hunt for stages, and their best chances would be to hunt for punchy stages with Valverde. I don't think Quintana is a consistent GC contender, Quintana can brilliant in one race, then disappear in the next, he needs better doping program!
    Well Valverde will end up with his usual, normal, typical top 10 in GC at the end of the Tour. I truly believe Movistar has no confidence in Quintana (besides the rumor that he has fallen out of favor with the team). Also not sure how much confidence they have in Landa. Somehow it's crazy that Valverde keeps downplaying his chances and saying he's just the fall back option and yet he may very well end up their best hope for a good overall finish. The other thing is with those three, plus Soler's climbing abilities it's still very likely they could win the team title.
    Movistar is going to be so lost when Valverde eventually gets around to retiring.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post

It was funny watching Offredo, and hearing him yelled at by his DS from the car.

Offredo evidently thought he'd have some company for 200km of breakaway...and after 100km of not having any...his DS had to get motivational, "THIS IS THE TOUR DE FRANCE!!"
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post

Agreed. I didn't exactly miss anything by working today. Don't think I'll miss anything by working some tomorrow either and getting some work out of the way that's due at the end of next week. Stage 9 I'm looking forward to.