Tour thread -- spoilers allowed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Tour thread -- spoilers allowed

I think Jumbo-Visma winning the TTT wasn't exactly unexpected (as it was always possible), however, what is unexpected was by how much they won by.

FDJ also had a very good TTT to keep Pinot in the GC hunt. It appears that EF adding Tejay was very helpful for their TTT.

On the other side we have Movistar, Trek, and AG2R with poor TTTs. Landa and Valverde both said they are where they expected to be and lost what they had expected to (this was before Jumbo went). Then something about they are a team for the mountains and they were never going to be that close in a TTT on a stage like this one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome to see Jumbo team pull off the TTT upset...Still hoping Tejay might pull out a stage win....he seems relaxed this year.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tejay does. He also seems happier this year. I think he should have made this jump maybe 2-3 years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I usually donít get excited by TTT stage but this was pretty cool! This yellow jersey is as stoked as anybody ever.

Interested to see how Valverde does, could be the perfect storm for him. Also Nibali!

My personal favorite is that Russian guy, Zacharian, might be a long shot and I donít know his team but that guy is like Dan Martin(another favorite of mine), the definition of HTFU!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree bout the TTT stage....great race!! And tip of the hat to Bob Roll.....no way he can fill shoes of Paul and he respects that....doing a fine job Bob........regards.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Glad you're enjoying Bob, I can't stand listening to him do broadcasts and it's likely the combination of him and Phil are part of why I'm very quickly losing interest in this Tour. Why can't we legally get Eurosport or Australia's coverage?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Glad you're enjoying Bob, I can't stand listening to him do broadcasts and it's likely the combination of him and Phil are part of why I'm very quickly losing interest in this Tour. Why can't we legally get Eurosport or Australia's coverage?
    NBC Sports Gold has Robbie McEwen and Matthew Keenan. Of course, you have to pay for NBCSN's Cycling Pass.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean2 View Post
    NBC Sports Gold has Robbie McEwen and Matthew Keenan. Of course, you have to pay for NBCSN's Cycling Pass.
    Wish we got them on TV. That's the problem you have to pay for that which we shouldn't have to do as we are already paying for NBCsports with our cable or satellite subscription.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Heh, NBC...enough with LA! Cycling does not need him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Amen! This morning, Phil introduced him and the moron said, "Thanks Phil and Paul, I mean Bob."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    No kidding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Eurosport seems to be OK with VPN access via a UK server to access their services. A few years ago, when they started the LeMond on the Tour show, they were interviewing Greg in his Minnesota home. He had EuroSport playing on the big screen TV. When the interviewer asked him about EuroSport, Greg said he really liked their cycling coverage and how the whole family would watch the racing on the TV (pointing to the big screen in the background). While there was no mention of how he was able to access the stream, there also was no shock and horror at why Greg was "breaking the rules" by doing so.

I think they put up the geoblocking to satisfy the content owner when they purchase the UK (and whatever other countries they support) broadcast rights. As long as it's accessed from a UK IP address, I don't think they care if it's an ex-pat watching from some foreign country or someone in a foreign country doing the same. If they did, they would do something like require a UK billing address for the account sign up or they would block VPN connections like I think Netflix tried to do for viewers outside the US. On the other hand, they can't go around and advertise that anyone with a VPN service can watch Eurosport, because that would probably not go down well with the content owners. I think the advertisers are OK with it as they get a bigger audience (heck I even purchased some Alpecin shampoo after seeing their commercials on EuroSport), Eurosport gets more subscribers, etc.

If you get a VPN service for this, you need to make sure there are multiple server locations in a country. I use PureVPN (http://bit.ly/2ZTnWsm) and they have 4 cities in the UK with multiple servers in each. I find that sometimes you need to switch to a different city/server for Eurosport. Like for Stage 1, one UK city bumped me into the Romanian broadcast. Sometimes one city will result in the "not available in your country" message. But having a number of server/city options usually results in getting a good stream. I think want happens is that geoblocking is not exact, there are multiple servers and databases that deal with this and Eurosport doesn't publish exactly how they do this. So if the server/IP address you happen to use is marked as being in some other country, it may not work as desired. Having options is a good thing and having a VPN service where you can switch servers at will is also a good thing. Some VPN services limit the number of changes per month and charge if you go over the limit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Eurosport seems to be OK with VPN access via a UK server to access their services. A few years ago, when they started the LeMond on the Tour show, they were interviewing Greg in his Minnesota home. He had EuroSport playing on the big screen TV. When the interviewer asked him about EuroSport, Greg said he really liked their cycling coverage and how the whole family would watch the racing on the TV (pointing to the big screen in the background). While there was no mention of how he was able to access the stream, there also was no shock and horror at why Greg was "breaking the rules" by doing so.

I think they put up the geoblocking to satisfy the content owner when they purchase the UK (and whatever other countries they support) broadcast rights. As long as it's accessed from a UK IP address, I don't think they care if it's an ex-pat watching from some foreign country or someone in a foreign country doing the same. If they did, they would do something like require a UK billing address for the account sign up or they would block VPN connections like I think Netflix tried to do for viewers outside the US. On the other hand, they can't go around and advertise that anyone with a VPN service can watch Eurosport, because that would probably not go down well with the content owners. I think the advertisers are OK with it as they get a bigger audience (heck I even purchased some Alpecin shampoo after seeing their commercials on EuroSport), Eurosport gets more subscribers, etc.

If you get a VPN service for this, you need to make sure there are multiple server locations in a country. I use PureVPN (http://bit.ly/2ZTnWsm) and they have 4 cities in the UK with multiple servers in each. I find that sometimes you need to switch to a different city/server for Eurosport. Like for Stage 1, one UK city bumped me into the Romanian broadcast. Sometimes one city will result in the "not available in your country" message. But having a number of server/city options usually results in getting a good stream. I think want happens is that geoblocking is not exact, there are multiple servers and databases that deal with this and Eurosport doesn't publish exactly how they do this. So if the server/IP address you happen to use is marked as being in some other country, it may not work as desired. Having options is a good thing and having a VPN service where you can switch servers at will is also a good thing. Some VPN services limit the number of changes per month and charge if you go over the limit.
    How are you getting access to EuroSport? EuroSport Player? TV Plus?

I haven't tried it myself, but a couple of friends who have said that Eurosport wouldn't accept their subscription without a physical EU address. I didn't press for details.

I would want it to be available on something with a DVR so I can record the races and still display it on a big screen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Looks like we're stuck with daily cut-ins with LA. You'd think the UCI or ASO would forbid this interaction in the same manner that I am sure they would not provide him with press credentials. Hope they catch wind of this travesty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

I haven't tried it myself, but a couple of friends who have said that Eurosport wouldn't accept their subscription without a physical EU address. I didn't press for details.

I would want it to be available on something with a DVR so I can record the races and still display it on a big screen.
    I set up a Eurosport Player account many years ago, prior to Discovery. At the time, all that was required was e-mail address and credit card number. My buddy signed up a year or too ago. I think he used his US address since his credit cards were all from US banks. He also had an apartment he owned in Sweden that he may have used for an address.

Mainly watch from their web browser interface but have also used Android and their Kodi players. It seems they now have more options:
    https://help.eurosport.com/hc/en-gb/...ng-from-abroad
    Some seem to require EU addresses but others do not. I guess us US folks fall into this group:

"If you do not live in the EU, but are travelling in the EU, you will be accessing the Eurosport Player service that is available in the country that you are visiting (if we provide service in this country)."

But with a VPN connection, I can "travel" to the UK in the blink of an eye. I guess if you are an EU resident, then you have some special bits enabled in your account to eliminate the need for VPN. But since I always have several VPN connections running 24/7, including one to the UK, I just jump onto that when I want to watch Eurosport. I think VPN is like that old adage "if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail". VPN is that hammer and a lot of "problems" end up being nails.

They do make it difficult to record programming. About the only way I can see it happening is to have a dedicated PC or laptop running, tuned into the channel that will carry the event you want to watch. Then have a screen recorder, maybe on a timer, start up and record the race and stop after it's done. Problem with their web interface is you can't go directly to a particular channel. You have to select it from the "On Now" screen, wait for it to load, then click in the window on the play button to get it to start, then click to enlarge to full screen. Likely some way to automate the mouse events, but you need to know ahead of time what channel a particular event will be on, E1, E2 or often there are additional streams. Like the TDF has separate streams for some of the various motos. But you need to look at the image tiles in the On Now screen to see what's on each stream/channel.

Also, have not found any sort of XML program guide that can be accessed to feed into something like Kodi to automate recordings. If something like that existed, you could just set up a recording schedule for all episodes of TDF 2019. As is, it's like programming a VCR. Tune into the channel you want, start recording at X and stop recording at Y.

They do have various replays and summaries broadcast during the day. I usually catch the race first thing in the morning, it usually ends around 8AM. I have Kodi set up on my bedroom PC and can tune in while still in bed, often do that on the long mountain stages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    I'm with you on the Bob deal, just the way he speaks is annoying,Christian would have been a better replacement for Paul.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Itís so funny how perspectives on things change with time and experience. Rewind to last offseason and Trek Segafredo was heartbroken because they thought they had signed the talent of the summer in Ivan Sosa only to have his agent pull out the deal at the last moment so that he could join then Team Sky.

In an attempt to recover from the loss, Trek turned its attention to a young Italian and ďsettled on him" as a replacement. Sosa hasnít done a whole lot to stand out this year, but today that scrawny Italian kid they settled for pulled on the yellow jersey and is the current leader of the sports biggest race. He has been lights out all year as well. Sometimes our losses are really blessings, we just donít know it yet.

Tour de France 2019: Stage 6 Results | Cyclingnews.com

https://pelotonmagazine.com/features...iulio-ciccone/

Despite Trek announcing Sosa, talented Colombian still on the market | Cyclingnews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

Looks like this may be an option in this situation:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/com...fo_outside_uk/

When I signed up, all you needed was a UK IP address. But now it seems they are using the IP location for the country of the payment method. Seems this guy found you could change IP locations partway through the process. Or some seemed to make use of the Polish site to sign up. Also, they have a Paypal option instead of a credit/debit card, so that may also work.

Although this says they do check your Paypal billing address/country.
    https://thevpn.guru/unblock-eurospor...stralia-canada

There's a mention of a WeSwap or TransferWise pre-paid card, the latter can get you a UK account number/sort code with their border-less account. This might be the best solution, since you would have a "UK" registered payment method.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Itís sad day for cycling, NBC, and the TdF when people that are actually interested in the sport are primarily talking about how much they donít like Bob Roll and LA commentating on the race instead of the race itself. Pro cycling is in some serious trouble in the U.S. lol....

Well, I am off to watch the XCO MTB races I missed this weekend on Red Bull TV. Heck I might take in some skateboarding too.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice to see Ciccone get the yellow. I'm fairly sure he was one of the two young Italians who were climbing well 2-3 years ago in Colorado's race.

Then we have yet again horrible and stupid tactics from Movistar. I just hope due to almost all their riders being out of contract at the end of the season they do close to a total rebuild of that team. What a waste of energy by the riders on their team for absolutely nothing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taxidermy man View Post
    I'm with you on the Bob deal, just the way he speaks is annoying,Christian would have been a better replacement for Paul.
    Completely annoying and I can't take it for very long. Then add in his like's to show off his bad Spanish pronunciations. Would have been much happier with Christian in the booth. Even Chris would have been better.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Nice to see Ciccone get the yellow. I'm fairly sure he was one of the two young Italians who were climbing well 2-3 years ago in Colorado's race.

Then we have yet again horrible and stupid tactics from Movistar. I just hope due to almost all their riders being out of contract at the end of the season they do close to a total rebuild of that team. What a waste of energy by the riders on their team for absolutely nothing.
    Well, I have to agree with you. You can't expect to beat a guy like Thomas or .... using team tactics like Movistar does. If you are going after the GC all your teammates have to sacrifice themselves to the death for their GC contender! They cannot have their own individual agenda. Look at guys like Kweokoski as an example. Maybe it's a team leadership problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    Well, I have to agree with you. You can't expect to beat a guy like Thomas or .... using team tactics like Movistar does. If you are going after the GC all your teammates have to sacrifice themselves to the death for their GC contender! They cannot have their own individual agenda. Look at guys like Kweokoski as an example. Maybe it's a team leadership problem.
    All they did yesterday was help Thomas. The best way to have tried to beat Ineos would have been for one of them to attack (which Landa did try) but when he was caught for the next one to attack. Here's the problem, Ineos' riders are willing to do that because their leaders get results. I'm not sure the riders at Movistar fully believe in Quintana or Landa at this point. Plus you have Movistar also wanting the team title.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean2 View Post
    I am enjoying the McEwen/Keenan coverage. Much better than Phil and Bob. Plus there are no commercials.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I liked Christian as a rider but can't handle him as a commentator. He's mumbling and stumbling over his words. :-(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast