US Junior men earn world #1 ranking
    waterproof*

Thumbs up US Junior men earn world #1 ranking

Way to go boys! This bodes well for the future of our sport.

https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=5272

The United Statesí junior men finished on top of the 2010 UCI Junior Nationsí Cup rankings for the first time in history. The Junior Nationsí Cup is a series of the top junior race events in the world and following all seven of the 2010 events the United States had more points than any other nation, with Russia and Australia finishing a close second and third. Last yearís group of junior boys scored the best American junior nationsí ranking to date when they finished fourth in the 2009 overall.

* not actually a Rock Star

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    Having good USA Juniors is good for the future of our sport. Talent should be celebrated and encouraged in all countries. Imagine if the nations Africa started cycling, wouldn't that be a treat? Remember when the Kenyan long distance athletes burst onto the scene?

Having Cavendish, Thomas and Wiggins + a great medal hauls in the World and Olympic Track Champs have all given British Cycling a lift.
    Before this new generation all we had were memories of Tom Simpson, Chris Boardman and The Flying Scotsman Graeme Obree.
    Last edited by albert owen; 08-09-2010 at 08:05 AM.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Not to mention how many U23 teams are absolutely loaded with talent these days.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

always right sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by albert owen
    Having good USA Juniors is good for the future of our sport. Talent should be celebrated and encouraged in all countries. Imagine if the nations Africa started cycling, wouldn't that be a treat? Remember when the Kenyan long distance athletes burst onto the scene?

Having Cavendish, Thomas and Wiggins + a great medal hauls in the World and Olympic Track Champs have all given British Cycling a lift.
    Before this new generation all we had were memories of Tom Simpson, Chris Boardman and The Flying Scotsman Graeme Obree.

No kidding. I have always wondered what would happen if you had the Kenyans etc trained to race bikes. Is cycling different enough to where they may not dominate as they have in running? It sure seems like you would have some serious mtn climbers in the group! Not so sure they could take Cav in a sprint though..ha.

Great news about our future in cycling. I hope they can enter into a cleaned up sport soon. That would be excellent!

Dopers ruin sport
    usa! usa!!

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    No kidding. I have always wondered what would happen if you had the Kenyans etc trained to race bikes. Is cycling different enough to where they may not dominate as they have in running? It sure seems like you would have some serious mtn climbers in the group! Not so sure they could take Cav in a sprint though..ha.
    There are actually people working on this right now... I seem to recall Paul Sherwen is involved, along with some Americans like Vaughters and Boyer.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    It sure seems like you would have some serious mtn climbers in the group! Not so sure they could take Cav in a sprint though..ha.
    Shoot... they would never let it come to a sprint, it would be all out with 10K to 15K to go.