USPS early season Muscle Flex
    Not Banned

USPS early season Muscle Flex

USPS goes in as training and bike re-con. Floyd takes overall and is clearly showing his talent (last year he had early season injury) LA wins TT, USPS takes 3 of top five and Team Top, Van H. wins 2 stages in Ruta......kinda scary. Maybe they peak too early, but reports from their training camp was that most days ended up like a race with guys pushing each other. We'll see how George and the "classics team" do in Belgium. I think this is the year for George to take a major.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yeah, very encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    USPS goes in as training and bike re-con. Floyd takes overall and is clearly showing his talent (last year he had early season injury) LA wins TT, USPS takes 3 of top five and Team Top, Van H. wins 2 stages in Ruta......kinda scary. Maybe they peak too early, but reports from their training camp was that most days ended up like a race with guys pushing each other. We'll see how George and the "classics team" do in Belgium. I think this is the year for George to take a major.
    And on the last day at Algarve, Hincapie apparently sat on the front and led the peloton for like 100k. Good WC work for him that day.

Mad Max has to be considered a co-captain and on equal terms with Hincapie for the spring. The guy deserves it. 2nd last year in Het Volk and in good shap in P-R until his crash and now two early season wins.

Last chance for Postal to get a WC win. Well, last chance for all teams, but most other Div1 teams have a WC win...

I think Hincapie has a better chance in RVV than P-R.

Not Banned

P-r

considering how close George has been in P-R without much team help (Boonen/Crash Year Excluded) he still has to be a threat. last year he missed the spring due to infection and parasites. I think he'll be very 'angry' this year and with better team support. agreed about Max, but he's more of a sprint finisher and P-R (last year excluded) is rare to have such a finish. I think MAx could take Ghent (George already did) and maybe Amstel, but I think P-R will be all George (team wise-crash excluded). I'm sure L/A will try Liege again with more help. I think Bery floor helped with building a classics team, RW...help me out I'm somehow dumbfounded (lack of sleep) by the letter code. Is that Tour of Flanders in Belgian (Route Wallone)? yes, would be good for George as well.

RoadBikeReview Member

Well...

considering how close George has been in P-R without much team help (Boonen/Crash Year Excluded) he still has to be a threat. last year he missed the spring due to infection and parasites. I think he'll be very 'angry' this year and with better team support. agreed about Max, but he's more of a sprint finisher and P-R (last year excluded) is rare to have such a finish. I think MAx could take Ghent (George already did) and maybe Amstel, but I think P-R will be all George (team wise-crash excluded). I'm sure L/A will try Liege again with more help. I think Bery floor helped with building a classics team, RW...help me out I'm somehow dumbfounded (lack of sleep) by the letter code. Is that Tour of Flanders in Belgian (Route Wallone)? yes, would be good for George as well.
    Don't get me wrong, I think George can do well at P-R, I just think he has a better chance at RVV. He's been 4th at both, and his style of riding has changed a bit the last 2-3 years to point that I think the bergs in RVV (Ronde Van Vlaanderen/Tour of Flanders) are more of an advantage to him than the brutal flat cobbles.

As for Max, yeah, GW would be good for him. Have you seen the route for Amstel this year though? Remember last year they finished on the Cauberg, they doing that again this year? I dunno. If they are, that takes Max out of a sprint.

As for Liege, Lance of course will not be there. He'll be in the states (and racing at TdG). I'd look to Floyd and the Canuck for LBL.

Not Banned

Rvv

On my browser the RVV (Ronde Van Vlaanderen) reads like RW, the 2 V's are connected hence the confusion. I was thinking maybe a French Translation or something. thanx for the clarification. Forgot about TdG, thanx for the update. Agree this course does suit George as well or better than P-R. Hadn't seen the profile for Amstel, not good for Max. I think adding Berry Floor is doing something good for USPS Classic program. Personally I'll be pulling for Petegem and the boys of Lotto-Domo. I miss Domo Farm Frites - Lotto rivalry, liked it better when there were 2 Belgian heavyweight teams. Palmans is Div 1 now, correct? Maybe they will fill the void.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm with you...

On my browser the RVV (Ronde Van Vlaanderen) reads like RW, the 2 V's are connected hence the confusion. I was thinking maybe a French Translation or something. thanx for the clarification. Forgot about TdG, thanx for the update. Agree this course does suit George as well or better than P-R. Hadn't seen the profile for Amstel, not good for Max. I think adding Berry Floor is doing something good for USPS Classic program. Personally I'll be pulling for Petegem and the boys of Lotto-Domo. I miss Domo Farm Frites - Lotto rivalry, liked it better when there were 2 Belgian heavyweight teams. Palmans is Div 1 now, correct? Maybe they will fill the void.
    I too miss the Lotto vs. Domo rivalry. The Lotto-Domo vs. Quick Step ain't bad, but it just seems to be missing something the former had.

I also think adding berry-floor has been good. I am pretty sure it is in an effort to get the team set-up for post-Lance. I would say they are doing a pretty good job of it! The new signing DeVolder looks to be a very good pick-up on Bruyneel's part.

Not Banned

I guess it's the advantage

of having a Belgian DS. I worry that USPS will drop sponsorship once LA retires, they need to get the next big American hope to stay with it. My guess is Tom Danielson if he shows promise at Fassa. Yes, they've built quite a nice team(s) which they now have split for the spring.
    IMHO D.FF with those Blue and Black Team SC's was the nicest kit in a long time. I always admired Johann but those Mapei kits were about the ugliest I've ever seen. and at least around here, Colnagos have the "I'm a rich guy who doesn't really ride much, but have to have the (or one of the) nicest bike around" stigma. Pinarellos, De Rosas, etc.. are far less seen around here for those needing the "Italian Caveat".
    I'll stick to my Merckx. GO BELGIUM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Those Mapei kits

I always admired Johann but those Mapei kits were about the ugliest I've ever seen.
    Well, there were those (like yourself apparently) that didn't like the Mapei Kit, but the bottom line is they did their job, and did it well. The kits were easy to pick out and did a good job of showing who the main sponsor was.

Let me guess, you don't like the jelly belly kit either?!

Not Banned

Jelly Belly.....

you got it. Being a graphic/ apparel designer it is my humble opinion you can get seen and still be good looking. Rabobank, ONCE, Fassa Bartolo (I like the older grey and blue kits) are fine examples of this. Yes, the mapei kit set them apart, I just happen to like cleaner lines and more color contrast. It is actually more visible from afar (pay attention during helicopter shots) the Mapei kits from a distance just turn to mush. Same happens with kits with too many sponsor logos. Obnoxiously Pink as DT's kit is it's still graphically strong so I can't knock it for it's color choice. (it is the sponsors color) and what the heck were those Jello Cubes supposed to represent anyway? isn't Mapei a cement / construction related company similar to Fassa?