Wiggins is wining me over
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Wiggins is wining me over

I am not sure exactly why but I have never liked Wiggins (maybe its the sideburns???)and really did not want him in yellow during this Tour, It may be the fact that I ride a Cannondale and therefore root for Liquigas or the fact that I simply like other riders. But.....as I have watched and enjoyed this Tour I find myself thinking he will make a great champion. Things I like...

1. I really like the response to the doping question. His fire was more than I expected and it was exactly how I would have responded (cleaner language).

2. When Nibali complained about the stare and talked about it in the press, he reconciled the problem the next day crossing the line with initiating congrats for a good ride. My initial reaction would have been to really stare after Nibali broke twice but his actions were those of a champ.

3. To try to get the win for Bossenhagen by leading him out in the sprint was impressive. Boss will now run thru a wall for Wiggins and it really has to build team spirit for a leader to care about his team that much.

4. Now he waits for Cadel after the tacks. Very good move not to blow Cadel out and to show respect for the reigning champ. It did get him farther in the stage without opportunity for Nibali to attack and that could have been the real reason but I dont think so.

He is winning me over, I still am not rooting for him but if he wins, I will be happy for him and think he might just make a great champ.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He doesn't come off as warm, but Wiggins and Sky have not done anything wrong. A flawless performance to my amateur eyes.

RoadBikeReview Member

me too

Quote Originally Posted by OhSnap View Post
    He is winning me over, I still am not rooting for him but if he wins, I will be happy for him and think he might just make a great champ.
    I'm in the same boat. he won a lot of respect yesterday and he'll be a deserving champ even if he isn't the guy I'm rooting for. I don't think there'll be another tour with this format so suited for him to win again so good on him for seizing the opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Ditto for me. I actually thought his response to the doping allegations was right on; it's sad that someone can do well and all we do is point our fingers and accuse them of drugs. And waiting for Evans was very respectful. Chapeau, Bradley.

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    If Wiggins goes on to win, I will have been proved wrong. They said a British winner within 5 years and I thought - no chance, absolutely none.
    But! Wiggins and the team have done an amazing job in turning him into a brilliant GC rider. Remember how he just trailled along behind Armstrong? What a contrast to the strong man(in every sense) we see today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think he's immensely likeable either but he's carried himself well in this tour and that lead out for Boss Hog was great.

It did get me thinking though...I'm not sure GC riders are generally likeable people whether for rational reasons or not. When I think of the most recent winners Evans, Schleck, Contador and Armstrong all have reasons I dislike them.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" - Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    +1 Great show of honor that the sport refused to let sabotage decide the race's outcome.

I think the decision to wait was genuine considering his known appreciation for cycling traditions, AND the obvious disgusted reaction when Rolland initially refused to cooperate & attacked. Especially after he (Rolland) knew what was going on. (At least Rolland apologized for it afterwards).

Should Wigins eventually win in Paris, he will certainly do so with honor.

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Wiggo is a bit of a cold fish, even for a brit.

Master debator.
    Wiggo is okay, his team manager more than makes up for anything with his cockiness
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

LA CHEVRE
    Maybe he worked for Boss Hog to cement his will to work for Wiggins in the coming days... Looks like Froome may not be ready to wait for Wiggins from now on and then he would really need the rest of the team if he wants to win.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Weird how little things affect us fans.

I didn't really like Wiggo until he led out BH...that was pretty sweet to see the yellow jersey out there. Then waiting on the Evans group....I'm in the camp of being won over by Wiggins.

I always thought Berti was pretty douchey...until last year. Watching him turn himself inside out, even after it was clear he wouldn't win, completely changed my opinion of him...I thought he carried himself like a true champion. I am now a fan of Conti's (even if he did use an unscrupulous meat supplier).

OTOH, I used to like FrAndy...but this year, the fav-o-meter has bonked.

-Smarty

Fierce Pancake
    I like Wiggins, he's happy enough to talk in person with fans unlike some (FabFab). BUT: shave those sideburns, mate; you don't see Paul Weller in lycra and with good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Wiggo's only problem (sideburns aside) is that he's boring. Watching him chug along surrounded by a cocoon of teammates just doesn't make for exciting racing - this recalls the reign of Indurain in the early 90s. I know he's doing what he's supposed to do, what we would all do if we could, but as a fan, I want something more.