Will CCC Team and NTT Pro Cycling Survive?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Will CCC Team and NTT Pro Cycling Survive?

Itís the time of year where teams that havenít performed up to expectations start to lose sponsors and are fighting for their lives. This year, the situation has been compounded by an economic downturn, a deadly virus, and social conflict across the globe. Two team that may not make it through it all are CCC and NTT.

CCC appears to be the most vulnerable, having already seen most of its best riders sign elsewhere for 2021. New NTT head Riis has been coy and seems to suggest he has something up his sleeves, but that team lacks true star power and doesnít have many riders that truly excite fans right now. Add to this that, unlike other years, I havenít heard of groups or continental teams that are waiting in the wings to pounce on an opportunity to join the World Tour.

Given the circumstances, could we really see two teams just completely drop out of the World Tour without replacements? Would that be good or bad for the sport from a competition standpoint if it happens? What say you?
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Hereís a couple of articles to get you up to speed if you havenít been following the drama.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/v...ut-ccc-future/

https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news...our-de-france/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Hereís the latest on transfer activity which adds to the picture. Arkea Samsic and Total Direct Energie appear to have the rosters that are best poised to make a jump up a level if the opportunity is there.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the...der-transfers/

RoadBikeReview Member
    NTT no idea, but I'll be surprised if CCC survives.

As for licenses, they are now on a 2 year license AND they are trying to cut the number of WT licenses to 16. No new WT teams next year unless someone can buy the license of a current team that is folding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    NTT no idea, but I'll be surprised if CCC survives.

As for licenses, they are now on a 2 year license AND they are trying to cut the number of WT licenses to 16. No new WT teams next year unless someone can buy the license of a current team that is folding.
    Yeah, I knew they have been trying to reduce the number of WT teams for a couple of years now. I am just trying to think through how that might impact the sport. It will definitely mean less opportunities for riders and staff, but maybe itís ultimately a good thing with sponsors tightening their budgets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Yeah, I knew they have been trying to reduce the number of WT teams for a couple of years now. I am just trying to think through how that might impact the sport. It will definitely mean less opportunities for riders and staff, but maybe itís ultimately a good thing with sponsors tightening their budgets.
    Less WT teams will mean more wild card invites for races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It looks like things may be over for NTT. Douglas Ryder will no longer be invovled after this season and the title sponsor officially notified riders they were pulling out. Not looking good unless some Danish sponsors step in. That will likely make it a totally different team though. Sad....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ntt...t-end-of-2020/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Itís not good when teams fold but the point about more wild card invites is valid. These team, especially the Giro and Vuelta, stir stages up with bold and sometimes successful breakaways. Every cloud etc etc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Itís not good when teams fold but the point about more wild card invites is valid. These team, especially the Giro and Vuelta, stir stages up with bold and sometimes successful breakaways. Every cloud etc etc
    I hear ya, but this particular team was helping with the development of riders on an entire continent. It's a pretty big loss for the sport in the grand scheme of things in my opinion. Wildcards just aren't the same. Hopefully something works out for the riders and Africa cycling whether it is with NTT or not.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/new...-says-thomson/

RoadBikeReview Member
    NTT leaving due to the charity part is sad. Sponsors appear to be getting harder to find, and Covid isn't helping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Fair point about the NTT charitable aspects being lost. I would like to see more done to improve participation from not just Africa but also the Middle East (including womenís cycling) and many others

Maybe / hopefully something will materialise

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Fair point about the NTT charitable aspects being lost. I would like to see more done to improve participation from not just Africa but also the Middle East (including womenís cycling) and many others

bro it is capitalism's fault
    if all people on the planet received exactly, then everything would be different

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

I agree. The CCC license was purchased today.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cir...dtour-in-2021/