World thread 2019 spoilers allowed
    RoadBikeReview Member

World thread 2019 spoilers allowed

The Worlds start Sunday with the TTT mixed relay.

Proud luddite
    I mainly focus on the elite men's road race, which will be on the 29th. I searched all over online but couldn't find an elevation map of the route. Is it mostly flat or are there any hills to speak of?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I mainly focus on the elite men's road race, which will be on the 29th. I searched all over online but couldn't find an elevation map of the route. Is it mostly flat or are there any hills to speak of?
    http://www.steephill.tv/players/prof...ps&stage=Elite Men Road Race&year=2019&src=http://www.steephill.tv/2019/road-cycling-world-championships/profile-11.jpg
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's likely the best option for a map.

What I've heard several people say is that it's harder than Richmond, but the final few kms are easier and it's not as hard as Amstel. Basically in between those two races, but a little closer to Amstel. Basically a good race for anyone who was good at Richmond, is good at Flanders, or is good at Amstel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, is all I can say about the U-23 race and all the rain. I do feel for all the riders who were racing in that mess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats to Rohan, great ride today, but Merida can not be happy.
    I was actually pulling for Remco but he'll have it soon enough, methinks.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Congrats to Rohan, great ride today, but Merida can not be happy.
    I was actually pulling for Remco but he'll have it soon enough, methinks.
    wishing Rohan luck getting future (good) contracts,
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Does anyone know anything about the bike Rohan was on?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the bike Rohan was on?
    He was riding a BMC TT bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If any of you haven't seen the Junior men's road race, it's worth watching. They put on an enjoyable race to watch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    He was riding a BMC TT bike.
    I don’t know anything about TT bikes but first time I’ve seen a seeded rider on totally stealth bike-no logos. Looked like a generic China bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    I don’t know anything about TT bikes but first time I’ve seen a seeded rider on totally stealth bike-no logos. Looked like a generic China bike.
    He had made it known he was riding a BMC. However, as that is not the brand of bike the team he is under contract with rides he had to remove the logos from the BMC bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    He rode that same bike for BMC for several years, and rode a BMC on the track when he set the hour record.

I think when riding for his national team, he can ride whatever he wants so he went back to what he was comfortable with.

I think he asked to have the logos removed out of courtesy to his team sponsor (Merida), who's bikes he apparently doesn't care to ride.

He's still under contract with Bahrain-Merida for next season. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something that suits him. Especially for the TT races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finx, what you said makes sense as to what happened with the situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    He's still under contract with Bahrain-Merida for next season. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something that suits him. Especially for the TT races.
    Whelp,

Contract was apparently terminated Sept 13, but the announcement went out *during* the WC mens road race.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-dennis-439092

Now we wait to see who wants the best ITT rider of our generation (along with whatever personal baggage he brings).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    He was riding a BMC bike in the road race today.

BTW, his spare bike for the TT was a fully stickered BMC bike. No attempt made to disguise it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This entire week of the Worlds ranks up there with Quatar as worst of the decade. The only race with watching was the men's Junior race, and the Men's Junior ITT. The entire rest of the races with total and complete waste of time to bother with.

Today a large group of riders chose to walk away from the race to preserve their own health.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    This entire week of the Worlds ranks up there with Quatar as worst of the decade. The only race with watching was the men's Junior race, and the Men's Junior ITT. The entire rest of the races with total and complete waste of time to bother with.

Today a large group of riders chose to walk away from the race to preserve their own health.
    guess we know how well valverde did.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    guess we know how well valverde did.

Meanwhile back in the land of objectivity... A really good performance for the USA in a number of events.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of the Worlds because of the timing and that many of the top GT contenders don't take part / are spent. For me, the stand out performances were Quinn Simmons in the mens Juniors, Chloe Dygert Owen in the womens ITT, Annemiek van Vleuten in the womens Road (that was an epic break). The mens Road was attritional and the weather was awful but no worse than seen other events.

Overall, a well organised event that was well attended (the crowds were impressive, especially on the last day when it was cold and wet) and coped with the extreme weather conditions on a number of days.

... and it was good to see the mens Road being won by genuine new blood.(but I feel a bit sorry for Trentin

Proud luddite

I have to say that the men's road race was a major disappointment. The peloton never tried to bring back the breakaway and seemed content to let those three duke it out for the podium spots. Sagan tried to give the appearance of determination at the end, but it was just for show because he was hopelessly behind the break with only a few kilometers left. Whatever...at least those three had the guts to go all out and it was exciting to watch that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Just watched some highlights of the World Championship races. More carnage and royal
    F-ups between riders, cars and other people then anything I’ve ever seen in a bike race.

Durianrider YouTube video on these races is a great summary of the action. Also has the extended footage of the junior rider disqualified for motor pacing. That itself was really interesting-high speed inches from bumper on slick road in the rain 😳😳😳😳

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I have to say that the men's road race was a major disappointment. The peloton never tried to bring back the breakaway and seemed content to let those three duke it out for the podium spots. Sagan tried to give the appearance of determination at the end, but it was just for show because he was hopelessly behind the break with only a few kilometers left. Whatever...at least those three had the guts to go all out and it was exciting to watch that.
    That's what you get when riders have no interest in actually racing. Like I said most just walked away and the ones who finished didn't have any real interest in being there either. If the weather had been better you would have had better racing. It should have been postponed.

Neophyte
    I'm still surprised more folks haven't called out the entire women's peloton for letting Van Vleuten just ride away with 100k to go. I get that she's got a heck of a motor, but I can't imagine she couldn't have been reeled in if the right folks had worked together.

Yeah, it happens and that's racing, but I'm still surprised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I'm still surprised more folks haven't called out the entire women's peloton for letting Van Vleuten just ride away with 100k to go. I get that she's got a heck of a motor, but I can't imagine she couldn't have been reeled in if the right folks had worked together.

Yeah, it happens and that's racing, but I'm still surprised.
    What should they do? the last years have shown just how strong and how deep the dutch team is. They will keep sending riders up the road. If they are along, go for it. If some join: can the dutch rider almost certainly win? no? then just reel it back in, send the next rider up the road and try again.
    They probably thought she would burn out and then at least the attack counter attack would be for 30 km and not the full race.
    Blows your hair back.