A year in review

Mar 2002

A year in review

In a paragraph, what was this year like? What stands out and how did you feel about the year?

Me: I just asked, what's the point if they aren't doing it clean? As a result, I hardly checked race results at all. Gave the Tour and Giro a bit of attention but didn't bother with the Vuelta or anything else. Probably more of the same next year. Not a great year.

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hayaku
    In a paragraph, what was this year like? What stands out and how did you feel about the year?

Me: I just asked, what's the point if they aren't doing it clean? As a result, I hardly checked race results at all. Gave the Tour and Giro a bit of attention but didn't bother with the Vuelta or anything else. Probably more of the same next year. Not a great year.

I enjoyed watching the TDF this year. Watching Levi tank is always enjoyable. Contador shed some new light on the sport--provided he is clean. The whole Vino/Ras stuff was interesting, but sad at the same time.

Giro and Vuelta, I didn't watch. All in all, a rather boring year in pro-cycling.
    http://ridingtoandfrom.blogspot.com
    Riding from to and making fun of everything along the way to get to from

RoadBikeReview Member
    Levi's opening salvo at the Tour of California, Pozzato's cunning at Het Volk, the crashes and Popo's two attacks up the Poggio and Cipressa in MSR, the Lance-like ability of Contador throughout an excellent Paris-Nice, Ballan's power up the Muur at the Ronde then beating a shell-shocked Hoste at the line, the carnage that was Ghent-Wevelgem, a rather dull Roubaix, my finally meeting Gibo at the Tour de Georgia, a superb Giro parcours (mountain TT in Bielle; finish in Briancon; Zoncolan!) despite a less-than-credible GC podium, the soap opera-like drama of a TdF that could not have been scripted better, while largely dull still the cleanest Vuelta to date and don't forget Jason McCartney's daring stage victory, Phillipe Gilbert's relentless attacks in the final 5 km of Paris Tours, and Cunego's perfect ride at Lombardia.

That sums up in one paragraph what I thought was a very good 2007 racing season. (Just wish the Worlds were televised -- never saw that.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hayaku
    For me, doping revelations and the demise of powerful teams outshone the races themselves. I watched the TdF and as much of the Tour of Cali as they showed, read about the Giro, and didn't follow much else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Racing was actually better than most years, but always wondering who's going to get caught next makes it very difficult to get very emotionally involved in the action anymore, and without that there's really no such thing as a fan.

Cannot bench own weight
    I thought the spring campaign was great. E3 Prijs was the highlight for me. A ton of attacks, Fabian Cancellara trying (and almost succeeding) in out sprinting Tom Boonen in a 4 up sprint.

Flanders was great because everyone but Ballan thought Hoste had it won, but then seemingly out of no where Ballan shoots by just in time.

Another thing I remember is Cancellara putting down the hammer in several different races only to get stymied most of the time (that memorable stage win during the Tour excepted).
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008