40K TT. To drink or not to drink, that is the question.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

40K TT. To drink or not to drink, that is the question.

I just want some opinions. I am doing the state TT, it is a 40K out and back and the turn around is in the middle of a narrow country road. When do you all drink? I am someone who has trouble w/ hydration so I know I need to do so. Should I be drinking at intervals or save it for the turn around? I want to win this thing this year so I need some sage advice.
    Thanks

What? Me worry?
    Drink before the start and after the finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    in a 1hr race, if you are properly hydrated, you don't need to drink. that said, I require alot of pstchological water. my mouth gets dry and I find a quick drink refreshing. I carry a bottle in a 35 minute crit....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    "I am someone who has trouble w/ hydration so I know I need to do so. " You answered your own question and I'm just like you, I always carry fluids during a time trial. Regardless of the other comments, 25 miles is a long ride with no fluids at the level of exertion you will be putting out. I would drink as needed, likely not right at the turn around since that is where you need to concentrate on form, especially if the turn is on a narrow road. Best of Luck in your race.

Banned forever.....or not
    Before, and as you are slowing for the turnaround. Half a bottle should do it. (unless it's really hot)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

No Crybabies

bottle

Quote Originally Posted by mntvon2
    I just want some opinions. I am doing the state TT, it is a 40K out and back and the turn around is in the middle of a narrow country road. When do you all drink? I am someone who has trouble w/ hydration so I know I need to do so. Should I be drinking at intervals or save it for the turn around? I want to win this thing this year so I need some sage advice.
    Thanks
    At least with some bike frames (with potential exceptions, according to Cervelo), the bike is more aero with a bottle than without. So, take a bottle, and if you need it, use it. If not, it hasn't hurt anything. They sell aero bottles, too (check Excel).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I saw an awful lot of bikes with no bottle in the first Tour TT. I wish I knew for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member

wasn't the first tour TT about..

Quote Originally Posted by thighmaster
    I saw an awful lot of bikes with no bottle in the first Tour TT. I wish I knew for sure.

4 miles long? you're doing a VERY different race...
    sounds to me as though this is one of your first long TT's...take the bottle..half full..you'll be glad you did. what's the damage with bringing water? its not goign to be slowing you down...
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks to all of you. Got some great info. Its not my first TT at this distance, but I am shooting for a 56 to 57 which will be a personal best. I am thinking of the 1/2 bottle plan.
    Thanks again,
    V out

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Use a full small bottle. The aerodynamics won't change with the amount of water, and the added weight isn't important unless it's a hillclimb. But you may want the water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I tried riding a 40K TT without a drink, & the cotton mouth can get to you mentally. I normally drink as little as possible, since it does cost a little time.

limit screwed
    Sep 2005
    1. Get the smallest Camelbak they make.
    2. Put it under your jersey.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!!
    "They'll be making us a shoe made entirely of steel wool and canvas. Steel is real, wool is real, so it follows that steel wool is the realest material of them all."
    -buck-50

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    how hot is it going to be? if it were in the 90's, then definitely drink during the race. I too find my mouth getting dry, in a 20 min. crit I drank a full bottle (it was a mix of cat 2's, cat 3's and cat 4's)

Feb 2006
    I had this same question a few months ago. IMO no drink is necessary for a TT 1 hour or less unless it is unusually hot etc. Yeah your mouth gets dry but I just deal with it. My bike is more aero without the bottle and drinking really disrupts my rhythm in a TT. That's my experience even with dehydration issues I've had on longer rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    a question to anyone, how come the pro's use drinks during an hour's TT?

Jun 2004

Because...

Quote Originally Posted by mytorelli
    a question to anyone, how come the pro's use drinks during an hour's TT?
    Because contrary to most of the people on here, they actually know what they're doing.

Drink and bring a bottle for a 1 hour time trial, 40k at extreme efforts is a lot harder than just riding around for an hour. Even if you're going slow, you're still putting it out. What is the normal mantra about exercising and drinking and taking in fluids? Something like you should start taking in fluids 15-20 minutes after you start riding at a min? Again, I am one of those people who don't know too much about anything, but I'm betting Kerry Irons could clear this up right quick (he actually DOES know what he's talking about). Anyone who tells you that you don't need a drink over an hour long TT is probably someone who isn't going to finish well anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    2 possible reasons they have bottles. Pro's have to get up the next day and do another stage. They bring a bottle, but how much, if at all do they drink. Some days all of it I'm sure.
    I did notice that many teams are on the downtube bottle again. Disco still on the seat, BMC on the down and very low.